Classics With Cool – Plaidurday* Edition

posted in: Boots, Classics, Shirts, Shopping | 23
Elizabeth Taylor (with Montgomery Clift) looking not even remotely like a lumberjack.
Audrey!

J.Crew tartan flannel shirt
Sandra Ingrish roll sleeve shirt

Eddie Vedder

And he can sing, too.

Plaid Rainboots

There’s just something about a plaid rainboot that makes me want to stomp in puddles and then come inside for a cup of hot chocolate.
Sperry Top-Sider

Men in Kilts

James McAvoy
Ewan McGregor
Kevin McKidd
Gerard Butler (Love the facial expression on the woman right behind him!)
Sorry, couldn’t help myself.  Is it getting warm in here?

*Read all about Plaidurday, here.

The Citizen Rosebud celebrates Plaidurday!

So does Amber at Butane Anvil!

Disclosure: actions you take from hyperlinks within this post may generate commissions for www.unefemme.net.
~

All original content property of http://www.unefemme.net

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 United States License.

23 Responses

1. Pam @ over50feeling40

Cute post! I love the way you mixed the modern and the vintage plaids…that top picture is perfect! Have a great Friday!!

2. sonia

Love plaid shirts but I have trouble wearing button-downs. They just don’t suit my body-type. I do have a cute plaid skirt though that I love to wear with leggings and booties. For some reason plaid reminds me of back to school in the 80’s. There must’ve been lots of plaid going down then!

3. Paula

Oh, men in kilts … something very, very, very handsome indeed!
    I will keep you informed, as soon as I put my latest kilt-men-photos online (I’ve spent some weeks in Scotland this summer)

4. Patti

Ah, thank you for this post, early on a Friday morning, une femme! I think there are some pics of women in plaid shirts here, but my eyes got all wonky when I hit James McEvoy . . . .

Do like the plaid rain-boots a lot.

5. Ms. M

Alas, I look like Eddie Vedder when I wear plaid.

6. Kathy Leeds

I wear some “soft” plaids, I’m very choosy about the colors and amount of contrast – but I do love plaid in general. I have two vintage Pendleton shirts, sort of a heavier wool that I wear as jackets sometimes (long sleeved tee required underneath as they’re scratchy). Men in kilts – swoon. No wonder I love the movie Braveheart.

7. Laura

Men in kilts—whew! It is getting warm in here!

8. Odyssey Home

Love when men wear kilts! In the Caribbean, some of our Scottish friends would, on occasion…weddings and special occasions.
    Plaid is always “in”.

9. Mazl

I wish I could post a photograph for you of the kilted men, including the groom, at my daughter’s wedding. And we had a piper in all his regalia.

• JaninJabitt

Mazl … had a piper at our wedding as well. When he was ready to leave after he had piped his last agreed-upon song, I was able to holler across the room at my new husband, telling him it was time to pay the piper.

Yes, dear Femme, it is getting warm in here! Really, even the paunchiest old guy can look worlds better in a proper kilt. Wonder why that is … it’s not the legs. Golf shorts don’t work the same way. The military-history-highlands-mist thing, maybe? Thank you for making this a.m. a little perkier.

10. materfamilias

Can it be true? I love plaid in general so much, that I can hardly believe I only have one pair of pants — and in a muted grey plaid at that — and one scarf, similarly muted, grey. . . I do have a kilt I wore in my teens tucked away in a cedar chest somewhere. I prefer Mr. McGregor’s, somehow…

11. A Well Styled Life

Is it true what they say about men wearing nothing under their kilts? I may need to reconsider plaid!

• Mazl

Yes it is!!! For a true Scotsman anyway.

12. mette

Plaided kilts are fine on men and women.
    On shirts, not for me – but then again, I don´t like shirts in general ( on me ).
    A unexpected post, thank you.

13. WendyB

DYING over the lady in the Gerard Butler photo!

14. Adrienne

That J. Crew shirt is gorgeous. I love the colors!
    And thank you for posting all the handsome men in their kilts for us!

15. citizen spot

When the weather is cool enough for flannel, then everyday is Plaidurday for me! I would say on a plaid scale between Elizabeth Taylor and Eddie Vedder, I definitely skew far towards Eddie Vedder, appearance and style wise, but hey, I love my plaid flannel shirts!

16. C'estChic!

Oh Pseu, your posts are ALWAYS a treat, but particularly today’s!

17. Bella Q

I love it! Great kilts with handsome young men and Audrey and Dame Liz = Aces!

18. Duchesse

Unless a lassie is a wee slip of a thing, plaid garments make her look like a Belted Galloway. The boots are fun, and the kilt models remind me of the time I went to a formal dance in Scotland with a man in his kilt, just about 30 years ago now. Don’t ask me what is worn under them, you *know* the answer.

• Melanie

As I was told long ago:
      “Och aye lassie, nothing is WORN beneath the kilt; it’s all in perfect working order!” ;-)

19. Anonymous

Why do you not credit the photographers?

• Une Femme

Anonymous, I would happily do so if I had the information. I run image searches on google, and will not use an image unless it’s been used on at least 5-6 other websites. If they provide attribution I will include. If you have any information on these images, please let me know and I’ll update the post.