Nautical Interlude

Kayakers near Naples area of Long Beach. One doesn’t often see those distant mountains or skies this blue.

Our weather pendulum has swung again, from an extended cold snap to the kind of delightful conditions that make people in Michigan say, “shovel out the car honey, we’re moving to Southern California!”

It’s been a busy weekend packed with family events: a cousin’s post-wedding reception/party (the ceremony itself, held on a beach in October, was small and private), entertaining relatives from out of town here for the event, and seeing off BIL (Uncle B) and his wife, who are leaving today for home…home being their boat in the South Pacific. Sunday afternoon we borrowed a friend’s Boston Whaler and went cruising through Alamitos Bay, with a stop for lunch along the way.

We couldn’t have asked for a nicer day.

Duffys and Dingys and Yachts, oh my!

Guarding the entrance to the Naples canals
Jeune homme’s feet are now bigger than mine!

Such a vintage beauty, but oh what work to keep all of that wood ship-shape!
Silly after lunch. Only had one beer, honest!

The day was perfect for a marinière and light cotton sweater and scarf.

Today is a holiday from work and school, but after the busy weekend I need it for a “catch up” day. Do you ever have times where you feel as though you need a weekend from your weekend??
~

All original content property of http://www.unefemme.net

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 United States License.

Share:

1. January 21, 2013 / 11:11 am

Yep I saw the temps there yesterday and thought exactly that!

2. January 21, 2013 / 1:07 pm

So gorgeous! And that poignant moment, when your children are bigger than you are.

3. January 21, 2013 / 1:43 pm

And I ask myself again, “Why do I live in upstate NY?” (as I shovel out the 5 inches of white stuff that fell last night. I envy you your glorious day!

4. January 21, 2013 / 2:02 pm

I had a surreal moment when I scrolled down to the photo of you “Silly after lunch”, where I thought you had posted a photo of ME!!! I have an almost identical outfit that I enjoy wearing, but my hair is a different colour, though yours looks fairly dark in that shot. Sounds like the sort of day that you really have to make the most of it, and you obviously did!

5. January 21, 2013 / 3:12 pm

Thanks for posting such lovely pictures of my old stomping grounds. From a distance of so many years and miles, it certainly makes me homesick.

Loved your ensemble too!

6. January 21, 2013 / 3:20 pm

You look adorable. My baby sister lives down south, and she was telling me it was beach weather yesterday. Wonderful that you got out like that, and especially to take some friends out on the water.

7. January 21, 2013 / 5:24 pm

Great that you found some time to relax on the water on such a busy weekend. And weren’t you dressed perfectly for it!

8. January 21, 2013 / 5:53 pm

You do look very nautical in your attire and what amazing weather for a cruise on the water.
    Enjoy your catch up day…know exactly what you men after a busy weekend:-)

9. January 21, 2013 / 6:20 pm

I’m working today – and the only thing that makes it ok is that the traffic was so light! I also have been enjoying our beautiful LA weather. Took the grandchildren for a hike in Runyon canyon.

10. January 21, 2013 / 6:55 pm

Thanks for bringing back some nice old memories – I used to live on Rivo Alto Canal on Naples Island. Glad you had such a fine day!

11. Marla Robinson
    January 21, 2013 / 11:08 am

These are wonderful pictures. Such a busy weekend. Looks like you had a fabulous time.

12. Pam @ over50feeling40
    January 21, 2013 / 11:40 am

After my insane month of December, I still feel like I need a holiday from my holiday break!! Sitting on a beach and listening to the waves would be perfect, but just not happening any time soon…so I will live vicariously through bloggers. This looks like a lovely time.

13. Amber of Butane Anvil
    January 21, 2013 / 12:37 pm

Gorgeous day! Thanks for bringing us along for the fun.

14. Kathy
    January 21, 2013 / 2:03 pm

Hasn’t it been gorgeous here? Love being out on a boat for the day, so relaxing.

15. January 21, 2013 / 11:17 pm

Oh wow, looks like a gorgeous day – we’re snowed in over here!

16. Val Sparkle
    January 21, 2013 / 3:29 pm

My husband was just saying (after looking at the temps down there and the frozen fog here) that he has business in Southern California to take care of! These pictures are gorgeous! I forgot to bring my camera on our sunny beach day yesterday, but it wasn’t as warm as yours. Perfect day for your marinere (with accent in appropriate place).

17. January 22, 2013 / 12:31 am

Wow, we had spectacular weather for the walk through the Marina.
    I so wish that I had seen the canals of Venice, way back in the day.
    They must have been magical for early Los Angeles.

18. January 22, 2013 / 12:58 am

Adorable foot photo!

19. Sarah
    January 21, 2013 / 7:19 pm

What a wonderful day.. and yes exactly – know what you mean when you say you need a weekend from your weekend. x

20. January 22, 2013 / 4:36 am

Im one of those people saying, shovel out the car, honey!!!
    Love the pics and thanks for a beautiful view~
    ps Im actually in soCal right now–enjoying the weather!

21. January 22, 2013 / 5:12 am

I love Naples! You didn’t gondola?

Still it looks like fun and wonderful. This was a glorious weekend, every single day was beautiful! We stayed closer to home in Topanga, but had a lovely time discovering a new hiking trail.

22. January 22, 2013 / 6:45 pm

What fun! Just gorgeous! I made my maiden voyage to Lake Michigan last summer and witnessed the Queen’s Cup sailboat race. Fascinating! I cam home wishing to redecorate my bedroom with a nautical theme! Love the striped Tee.

23. January 22, 2013 / 11:19 pm

You look lovely and I am so glad you had a beautiful, relaxing day. It wasn’t quite as warm here but it was warm enough to take a long walk along coast and enjoy the waves.