layer play

Eileen Fisher sweater, Bindya scarf

To those who follow me on Instagram and Facebook, apologies for the redundant content. But I did have several requests for links to the pieces I’m wearing, so thought I’d get them all together in one place here.

earrings | scarf (sold out, more from same designer) | necklace | sweater | blouse | pants | boots (similar)

This is one of those breaking-the-rules-shouldn’t-work-but-does outfits. A voluminous, cropped sweater is usually a “no fly zone” for those of us who are short and curvy, but because of the very soft merino wool and dipped hem on this one, I think the overall effect is flattering. I layered here over a sleeveless silk tunic. I’m really loving this short-over-long-over-lean mix, and have a couple more iterations in the works that I’ll show you soon.

I tried on a few sizes of this sweater, and ended up going a size up from my normal in Eileen Fisher.

Have you found some layering combinations that “shouldn’t” work for your body type, but do?

Linking up: Fun Fashion Friday

MORE LIKE THESE…

Affiliate links in this post may generate commissions for unefemme.net. See complete disclosure policy here.

1. December 22, 2015 / 5:41 am

I’ve got this gorgeous Eileen Fisher sweater too, and will definitely wear it with this combination. I’m 5’4″ and I think this sweater looks better on shorter women than the tall models wearing it in the online photos on whom it appears just a little too cropped. The soft drape of this sweater and the dipped hem, as you note, are what make it work so well. I’ve worn it over a white silk tank with wide-legged dark wool pants I couldn’t figure out how to style. So it works short-over-mid-length-over-wide as well as short-over-long-over lean. Versatile!

December 23, 2015 / 5:37 am

Laura, thanks! I am going to try it with wider-leg soft pants too. And maybe a skirt and tights.

2. Brenda Johnson
    December 22, 2015 / 5:45 am

What a great look on you! By the way lovin’ your new hair style as well. It fits you!

December 23, 2015 / 5:36 am

Brenda, thank you!

3. Duchesse
    December 22, 2015 / 5:46 am

This is not a style I’m drawn to, just because it;s not my thing. And you can definitely wear it.

December 23, 2015 / 5:35 am

Duchesse, thanks!

4. sandypatti
    December 22, 2015 / 6:09 am

I think the cut of this sweater is perfection on your petite frame. Gorgeous color too. xox

-Patti

December 23, 2015 / 5:35 am

Patti, thank you very much!

5. December 22, 2015 / 6:41 am

I’ve very much liked and been inspired with your move to more neutrals and perhaps a sleeker or more classic look over the past several years, but I love that this outfit maintains that sense of restraint while giving a nod to your Inner Boho (c’mon, girl lived in a boat; she danced Renaissance fairs!). A great look on you!

December 23, 2015 / 5:35 am

Frances, ah you know me so well. 😉 Thank you!!

6. December 22, 2015 / 6:53 am

i am loving your layer play! perfection, but it’s the scarf layered over the necklace that brings just the right oommph to this outfit.
    xxoo beth

December 23, 2015 / 5:29 am

beth, thanks so much!

7. December 22, 2015 / 7:24 am

I do like this look, especially the scarf and necklace.

bisous
    Suzanne

December 23, 2015 / 5:29 am

Suzanne, thank you!

8. Henny Liem
    December 22, 2015 / 7:29 am

You just look absolutely lovely and so put-together! I want to dress like you do 🙂 Is there a post where you talk about the jewelry pieces you wear (French Kande)–I am so intrigued by them!

December 23, 2015 / 5:29 am

Hi Henny, thanks so much! I’ve featured French Kande jewelry in several outfit posts, but look for a feature on the designer and brand early in 2016.

9. December 22, 2015 / 7:41 am

I agree, the scarf and necklace take this to the next level. Love my Bindya scarf from Halsbrook too.

December 23, 2015 / 5:27 am

Lisa, thank you! This scarf is so soft and the colors so versatile.

10. Paula
    December 22, 2015 / 7:47 am

You look so chic! I love the long necklace layered under the scarf. Also, I can’t tell from the photo, but are you pants in or out of your boots? Sometimes, I am never sure what to do with my pants, especially if they are knit/ponte ankle pants. Love your look!

December 23, 2015 / 5:27 am

Paula, thank you! The pants are outside of the boots here as the boot shaft is narrow. I know a lot of style mavens and websites will tell you that’s a no-no, but I think it really depends on the pants and boots in question.

11. Lisa
    December 22, 2015 / 7:53 am

Love the look—but girl, you’ve gotta stop referring to yourself as “short and curvy” — short yes, but you’re looking very sleek these days — and as always, rocking your outfits!

• Judy
      December 22, 2015 / 6:52 pm

I agree, you may be short and perhaps curvy but you look tiny and skinny here!

December 23, 2015 / 5:14 am

Judy, thanks, think that’s partly the camera angle. 😉

December 23, 2015 / 5:25 am

Lisa, thanks! When I say “curvy” what I mean is that I’m busty (F-cup), broad-shouldered and have some “back.” 😉

• Judy
        December 24, 2015 / 4:25 pm

You don’t look broad-shouldered to me! And hey, F depends on the band size too. I am now a 32G and I am still more busty than I would like. But you look very streamlined. (Ha, a good word, no?)

12. Cathy D.
    December 22, 2015 / 8:16 am

Wow! This outfit is a winner! The layering is perfect for your body, and I love the scarf/necklace combo. I noticed that the necklace is 32″ long, much longer than I would have tried since I’m only 5’2″. I’m going to have to reconsider because it looks great on you with the scarf. Your new haircut is looking good and suits you perfectly. I hope you are enjoying it.

December 23, 2015 / 5:22 am

Cathy D., thanks so much! I think a longer necklace can actually be “lengthening” on we petite folks, and I love how it layers well with shorter length pieces.

13. Pam
    December 22, 2015 / 8:21 am

Ditto the other comments. Your whole look from head to toe is marvelous! Your new haircut is transformative – really great style. (You also look like you’ve lost weight)

December 23, 2015 / 5:20 am

Pam, thanks! Haven’t lost weight, think it’s a combo of the outfit and camera angle. 🙂

14. December 22, 2015 / 8:31 am

Love the whole look, but especially drooling over the necklace, which makes the outfit!

December 23, 2015 / 5:20 am

Jessica, thank you. I agree the French Kande pieces make a great focal point.

15. Rita
    December 22, 2015 / 12:33 pm

I’ve never been a fan of the white shirt hanging out look, I don’t think it’s flattering to 99% of women. That said, the sweater is beautiful. I love Eileen Fisher.

December 23, 2015 / 5:19 am

Rita, thanks.

• December 23, 2015 / 4:11 pm

Rita, just an opinion, but I agree. The sweater is utterly lovely, une très belle matière and one of my favourite colours, but why did some nasty thief steal the portion over her tummy? Perhaps because I live in a cold climate, but IMHO it makes no sense in terms of proportions, or warmth. I don’t like so much shirting hanging down below the beautiful pullover. What I like the most is the play of the scarf and pullover.

And by the way, “curvy” does not mean obese or overweight. It is a body type. Slim, heavy and in-between women can be curvy, as they can be a more straight up and down body type that reads as svelte or willowy if slim, and boxy or sturdy if heavier.

December 23, 2015 / 6:43 pm

lagatta, the cut of the sweater is what made it interesting to me, though, and what I like most about the outfit. chacun à son goût! 🙂

16. Rebecca
    December 22, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Love this outfit! Want it for myself! Nicely done.

December 23, 2015 / 5:18 am

Rebecca, thank you!

17. December 22, 2015 / 1:18 pm

I opened this post, saw you and your outfit and thought: “oh, nice! That looks cool and modern.” So there you have it. My first thoughts. You are right, it does look good. And I knew there would be Eilleen Fisher involved.

I finally wore the high/low beige tunic I bought from Eilleen Fisher when I was in Vancouver this summer. Your fault I bought it, as you always rave about their quality (and you are right again). But I could no find a good match for it. Now I have. Simpel but good.
    Greetje

December 23, 2015 / 5:18 am

Greetje, thank you very much! Yes, I agree that EF pieces are simple but good. One of the things I like is how you can make dozens of combinations from a few pieces, and how they work together season to season, so you can build up a collection over time. Glad you’re enjoying that tunic!

18. Mrs N
    December 22, 2015 / 2:59 pm

This outfit looks fantastic, you got me thinking ! Thank you !

December 23, 2015 / 5:16 am

Mrs. N, thanks!

19. December 22, 2015 / 3:01 pm

FLAW. LESS. That is you. That’s you and everything on your body. Love this post!

December 23, 2015 / 5:16 am

radicalredneckdiva, thank you!

20. Cindy
    December 22, 2015 / 4:04 pm

This outfit is PERFECT on you. great layering and everything looks so CHIC with your new hair. I really think this combination of short over long over lean suits you. makes you look young, sassy and slim(not curvy).

December 23, 2015 / 5:15 am

Cindy, thanks so much!

21. Colleen
    December 22, 2015 / 4:41 pm

The art of layering can be a challenge, and you have nailed it. Thanks for sharing the photo on your blog. You look very spontaneous and happy.

December 23, 2015 / 5:15 am

Colleen, thanks! I really love this outfit and feel good wearing it.

22. Linda Boardman Kerr
    December 23, 2015 / 6:09 am

You look adorable in this. I love EF pieces, especially the black pants, which I own–thanks to you. As a good seamstress though, I’ve got to say that the tunic is way beyond my budget. I will buy some good silk (or maybe handkerchief linen) and make it for a fraction of the price (and it will look as good inside as out!) Wishing you a peaceful and joyous Christmas/New Year.

December 23, 2015 / 6:40 pm

Linda, thanks! Have fun with the sewing.

23. Karen
    December 23, 2015 / 9:46 am

SUPER flattering! And chic. Thank you for the inspiration….

December 23, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Karen, thank you!

December 23, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Sharon, thanks so much! This is one of my favorite outfits in a very long time.

24. December 23, 2015 / 4:03 pm

Love the whole outfit and the way you’ve done the scarf and necklace. Really great.

December 23, 2015 / 6:41 pm

KPL, thank you!

25. Sharon
    December 23, 2015 / 7:28 pm

My first thought when glimpsed this was ‘oh my, I could never do a miniskirt even with black tights’. Then I found my readers and discovered the cropped sweater over the tunic. Had a good laugh and determined I loved this as well. It’s very fresh and I too think the necklace and scarf complete it. Nice!

December 24, 2015 / 8:10 am

Sharon, LOL! Yes, it does kind of look like a short skirt when I remove my glasses. Thank you!

26. Kathy
    January 6, 2016 / 6:35 pm

Beautiful outfit – effortless chic! I recently discovered your blog (I think through Pinterest) and was stopped in my tracks by your necklaces. I visited French Kande’s website and I feel an addiction coming on…thanks for labeling them for others to enjoy. I’m ordering the one you have on in this post!