how to hang a sweater

how to hang sweaters

Here’s the method I use to hang sweaters. This minimizes stretching and eliminates shoulder “bumps” from hangers. Originally found here.

1. Fold the sweater in half lengthwise.

how to hang sweaters

2. Lay the hanger on top like this.

hanging sweaters

3. Fold the sleeves over one side of the hanger…

how to hang sweater

4. Then the body of the sweater over the other side. Et voila!

Sweater here. Hangers here.

Affiliate links in this post may generate commissions for unefemme.net. See complete disclosure policy here.

1. Shelley
    January 12, 2016 / 3:06 am

Brilliant, thank you!

2. Linda Boardman Kerr
    January 12, 2016 / 3:43 am

If you haven’t already, would you please tell me what brand of hanger this is? Thanks!

• une femme
      January 12, 2016 / 5:12 am

Hi Linda, mine are from The Container Store, here. I’ll also add a link in the post.

3. January 12, 2016 / 4:20 am

Thank you very much for the advice, this was a problem for me.

4. Susan W
    January 12, 2016 / 4:50 am

Such a great “nice to know thing”. Thanks!
    PS love the Bluebell sweater color too !

5. January 12, 2016 / 5:50 am

I have been using this method for some time and it works really well especially helps stop heavy sweaters stretching.

6. robjodiefilogomo
    January 12, 2016 / 6:14 am

What a fabulous idea…Since I can’t fold all of my sweaters, this will come in handy! jodie

7. January 12, 2016 / 8:01 am

Bravo and thank you! I usually fold mine over pant hangers. I wonder if they’ll slip off my wooden dress hangers? I’ll let you know!

8. Sandra
    January 12, 2016 / 8:03 am

Hi there,
    Really enjoy your blog, and love seeing what you are wearing, and what you will choose to add to your wardrobe next.
    I’m wondering, have you heard of Marie Kondo, the tidying expert from Japan? I read her book this weekend, and got all excited and “Kondoed” my drawers this weekend. She believes that clothes should be folded, including sweaters. My clothes take up so much less space now, I have two drawers left over! And I can see all my clothes, when I open the drawers. Easier to get dressed in the morning!
    Has anyone else done this?

9. January 12, 2016 / 8:10 am

I love this idea. I wish I could do it in my closet. I have A LOT of sweaters, collected over the years, and I like them all. Several had been attacked by moths the last couple years (I live near the beach) so I started storing them in separate plastic zip locks with cloves, which seems to be working. But it’s worky when I want to try a couple different sweaters with an outfit, and have to take out and put them back in the bags. I would love to figure out how to make my closet space function more efficiently. I share a sliding door bedroom closet with my husband. I have a couple feet of hanging space for jackets above a deeper space for knee length dresses. To the right of that a couple more feet of hanging space for pants folded on hangers and shirts and a few heavier sweaters hung like you have. Below this is a shelf with sweaters in bags, above built in drawers with tshirts, sweaters in bags, lingerie, seasonal items. Then on my husband’s side I have taken a low hanging space for seldom worn things I could probably get rid of. We share a large dresser where I have koni-mari folded jeans in one drawer, casual tshirts, sweats, fleecies in another. A hall closet holds dressy as well as seasonal (wools in summer and sundresses in winter, though living in l.a. this is not dramatic) and all my shoes. I would love to figure out some way to not be “all over the place,” without getting rid of things I like to wear, so I can have more fun with my wardrobe.

10. January 12, 2016 / 8:50 am

What a great tip!

11. susanburpee
    January 12, 2016 / 11:11 am

That is genius, Sue. I like to hang sweaters that are in my current “rotation”… sounds like I have scads of clothes, but I don’t, only a very small closet. If I put them in drawers, they often have to be ironed before wearing. But they can stretch if hung on a hanger the normal way. This is my solution! Thanks.

12. Jeanne
    January 13, 2016 / 9:57 am

Thanks! On your advice I bought 50 velvet hangers (like them very much) but couldn’t understand how you used them for sweaters without stretching the shoulders out. Great idea.

13. Sharon
    January 15, 2016 / 12:56 pm

Thanks for this. Good weekend project!