This trip to Japan has been amazing! We head home tomorrow, and while I wish we’d had more time here, especially in Kyoto, it will be good to be home. I keep trying to refine my packing lists, and that applies to beauty products too.
I tend to go easy on the makeup when traveling, but do have a bare-minimum routine for most days (and will add more on the eyes if we are dressing up a bit in the evenings). Here are the products that I wore almost every day, and that performed well even in heat and humidity.
- Before any makeup goes on, I apply a mineral-based sunscreen. Clarins “UV Plus” has SPF 50, and works well underneath makeup. It doesn’t pill and isn’t greasy. If you aren’t going to wear any BB cream or foundation and are concerned about a white cast from the minerals, you may want to try the tinted version.
- Giorgio Armani “Luminessence CC.” This is usually enough coverage for me; it evens out my skin tone and adds a little bit of a glow without making me look like an oil slick. It stays put pretty well all day, even in humid conditions (and using just a wee bit of finishing powder on my T-zone helps too). But it can also be re-applied without looking cakey. There’s the added bonus of some sunscreen (chemical) but I don’t think I apply heavily enough in most instances to provide thorough SPF protection.
- It’s not a concealer exactly, but if I’m jet-lagged or haven’t slept well, the Trish McEvoy Instant Eye Lift will help give me a refreshed look. (I use a similar application technique as shown/described here.) It really does work!
- I never go out without at least filling in my brows a bit, and still love Brian’s Makeover Workshop Indelible Brow in “Blondi” for ease of application, natural look and staying power.
- I’m a lip color junkie, and at home like to change up what I’m wearing often. But for travel I pare down and really like how this Trish McEvoy “Beauty Booster” lip & cheek color pencil not only feels very moisturizing, but stays on for hours. You can use as a blush as well. The “Perfect Pink Shimmer” color is great for a natural daytime look.
- Though you can always decant a bit of fragrance into a travel atomizer, I love it when a favorite scent is made available in a purse-sized rollerball version. It’s easy to apply without going overboard.
What beauty products do you never travel without?