Une Femme Économe: Easy Fall Sweaters

navy lightweight merino wool sweater

A lightweight throw-it-on-and-go wool sweater is one of my wardrobe staples both at home and for travel. Wear it over a tee, under a jacket or just on its own. Fine merino wool is a wonderful fabric for travel as it breathes, adjusts to changes in temperature and doesn’t pick up or hold odors. Here are a few options that won’t break the bank…

Above: I thought this one in extra fine merino was a steal at full price, and it’s currently marked down. I went up one size, and like it so much I ordered a second. The wool isn’t itchy, and though it’s marked as “crew neck,” the neckline hits below my collarbone. Love the stepped hem too. Some limit on available colors and sizes.

burgundy v-neck merino sweater

If a v-neck is more your style, this one is also lightweight, and is available in Misses, Petites, Women’s and Women’s Petite sizes (though not all colors in all ranges). Though some of the colors offered strike me as a bit “mumsy” (as my British friends would say) there are some nice choices including the “Dark Rum Raisin” shown above. It’s a slim cut; if you like an easier fit, I’d suggest going up one size.

grey u-neck merino sweater

I haven’t yet tried this particular lightweight luxe wool sweater, but have been happy in the past with the quality of Everlane sweaters. I like the set-in sleeves and this “just right” grey. It’s been my experience that their sweaters run true-to-size, but do check measurements.

Do you have a favorite pull-on-and-go sweater?

1. Lynn
    October 18, 2016 / 7:31 am

Susan,
    I know you really like wool. Some of us are allergic. So, much of what you wear, including much of EF is not for us. Also, it is hard to find great non-wool sweaters. Maybe you could keep the non-wool wearers in mind in future posts? Thanks so much!
    Lynn

October 18, 2016 / 8:04 am

Hi Lynn, have you tried the silk-cotton interlock pieces from Eileen Fisher? It might be a nice alternative.

• Shredie
        October 18, 2016 / 12:35 pm

I have a few of those. They are an alternative to the wool. I also like EF linen knits. Those of us who can’t wear wool are always looking for other choices.

• Lynn
        October 19, 2016 / 4:23 am

No. I will have to check them out. Thanks.

2. JANA
    October 18, 2016 / 8:11 am

I found a men’s marino wool v neck by calvin klein at Costco. I love it! It’s such a great basic 🙂

• roisindubh211
      October 23, 2016 / 8:50 am

I have that too, in navy. It’s a lovely workhorse of a sweater, been wearing mine for at least 6 years.

3. LA CONTESSA
    October 18, 2016 / 9:16 am

LOVELY INFO!I do need some new sweaters!

4. Bobbie
    October 18, 2016 / 10:54 am

I’m still wearing linen sweaters in fall colors which I find more comfortable than wool until it gets colder. Also lightweight wool sweaters don’t look good on me, but maybe I’ll try your suggestion and go up a size.

5. October 18, 2016 / 3:04 pm

A V-neck cashmere pullover is my go to staple during the fall and winter. Very fine wool they isn’t scratchy fits the bill perfectly too!

6. October 18, 2016 / 4:29 pm

Uniqlo has GREAT sweaters and lots of great items without breaking the bank. My favorite white jeans are from Uniqlo. Most of my sweaters are from J. Crew and J. Crew Factory–and the cotton blend ones can be worn almost all year!!

7. sarah ross
    October 18, 2016 / 8:57 pm

Help! I am finding that the shirts and sweaters I buy in my size (L) tend to be too wide in the neck so that they gape on me, show my bra straps and generally feel awkward. (I’m forever pulling them in!) I understand that some of the problem lies in my proportions (wider in the hips than in torso), but I also think that necklines in general are more generous than they need to be. This is true for any style besides a crew neck. Do you know of any brands that might obviate this problem?

8. October 18, 2016 / 11:38 pm

I’d love to hear what some of these less expensive merino sweaters are like, pilling-wise, after a few months or several launderings. I’ve been so annoyed with the J Crew merino over the last couple of years that I’m not buying any of theirs again. And it’s not so easy to tell which will stand up, which will quickly become something that can only be worn for working in the garden — I don’t know that the quality has a lot to do with the price point, but I wish I knew a reliable way to judge.