What I Wore: Hosting Thanksgiving

outfit for hosting Thanksgiving

An unexpectedly warm day meant I had to scrap my planned outfit for Thanksgiving and go back to square one. We were hosting the family gathering (10 people) and even though I didn’t have to do much cooking, there was still lots of prep and clean-up. I wanted to be comfortable, but also festive. A lightweight silk pajama blouse in a fun print was enough to dress up black ankle pants and a tee.

shirt | necklace | tee | rings | pants | shoes

I love the unicorn print on this shirt. It reminds me of the “Lady and the Unicorn” tapestries at the Musée de Cluny. The tapestries were restored in 2013, a few years after we’d visited the museum. I’d love to go back and see how they look now.

1. Dee
    November 26, 2016 / 3:58 am

I agree that the print has the look of the tapestries. They are fabulous! A visit to the Musee was high on my list when I visited Paris. Have you read Tracy Chevalier’s book, The Lady and the Unicorn? It’s a fictional account of the creation of the tapestries.

November 27, 2016 / 7:55 am

Hi Dee, thanks! I haven’t read that book but will search it out.

2. Jill Pontiere PO Box 560733 Orlando, Fl 32856-0733
    November 26, 2016 / 4:46 am

Love the outfit. The shoes are awesome. I wear an 11 4AAAA and bought a similar pair from Everlane in a 10 1/2, the larges size, to small….ugh. Finding stylish shoes with my size has always been a challenge. Can you do a post some time strictly on hard to find shoes that are affordable? PLEASE? But seriously, I love your blog and your style. Class Act! Happy Holidays.

November 27, 2016 / 7:53 am

Jill, thanks! Have you looked at these? They’re offered in size 11 and according to reviews run narrow. http://rstyle.me/n/b7twaardpn

3. November 26, 2016 / 5:13 am

The shoes. The shoes. While I’m sleeping on the plane later, I’ll just dream about those shoes in every color! Nice outfit. Loving the cut of the pants too!!!

November 27, 2016 / 7:51 am

Catherine, thanks! Hope you’re having a wonderful time in Paris.

4. November 26, 2016 / 6:05 am

I saw your pic on Instagram. Love the purple in the shirt with those shoes. Looks dee-vine, Sue. And also must have made you feel comfortable and chic and pulled together and ready for Thanksgiving. There’s nothing worse, wardrobe-wise, than being in a fussy, uncomfortable outfit on a day when you just want to relax and enjoy your family. Well, except for the hosting gig…which I’m sure wasn’t totally relaxing. Hope you had a cute apron to protect that beautiful shirt:)

November 26, 2016 / 4:27 pm

Susan, thanks! Always an apron, ALWAYS. 😉

5. November 26, 2016 / 7:31 am

Love the Cluny and your blouse! The tapestries are so amazing!! It was been very warm… but, there is a promise of rain!

November 27, 2016 / 7:50 am

Thanks Kate! Was so happy to get the rain yesterday and a little this morning.

6. Janet
    November 26, 2016 / 9:38 am

Loved them so much I purchased a large tapestry pillow cover of the main panel & had it framed in antique gold- it hangs over my mantel, constant reminder of Cluny & that autumn day in Paris!!!

November 27, 2016 / 7:50 am

Janet, I’d love to have some pillows from this tapestry; it’s such a beautiful design.

7. Roylynn Harren
    November 26, 2016 / 10:01 am

I saw the unicorn tapestries in May and they are just fabulous!!! Love your blog!!!

November 27, 2016 / 7:49 am

Thanks so much, Roylynn!

8. November 26, 2016 / 8:34 pm

Great outfit and I do love that print!

November 27, 2016 / 7:48 am

Thanks, Jennifer!

9. November 26, 2016 / 11:27 pm

Such a pretty top! Just the right amount of festive for a special dinner at home with friends and family. I got back to see The Lady and the Unicorn year before last, and I wondered why I don’t make a point of visiting the Cluny each visit. It’s really such a special place, isn’t it?

November 27, 2016 / 7:48 am

Frances, thanks! I loved the Cluny. Medieval history has always interested me and they have amazing collections. We went on a day that seemed to be local school field trip day, so were in swarms of (very well-behaved) children for most of our visit. It was so fun to see their excited reactions to some of the armor and artifacts.

10. Pamela
    November 27, 2016 / 4:02 am

Love the Lady and the Unicorn series of tapestries! A couple of years ago I finally found one (the first image that appears when I clicked on your link) of the tapestry bases at the lovely Jacquemart-Andre Museum shop (they didn’t sell it or any others at the Cluny). This year after searching all over Paris every holiday, at last found all the right colour skeins at BHV – they have a good craft department – and have now finished all the work. So thrilled with it! Can’t wait till it’s framed. Best wishes, Pamela

November 27, 2016 / 7:44 am

Pamela, how cool!

11. Ann
    November 27, 2016 / 9:29 am

Your post about your blouse and its resemblance to the Musee de Cluny tapestries has put me in a frenzy of Paris trip planning. I’ve never been to that museum or (to my my memory) seen those tapestries. But now they’re inspiring my next-trip fantasies. Yes, we’ll always have Paris. But it’s time to go back after a four-year absence. Too long.

I keep thinking we should explore other arrondissements, but I just cannot get out of the the 6th. Which hotel(s) do you stay at when you’re there?

November 27, 2016 / 10:57 am

Hi Ann, we’ve stayed at a few hotels around the city on various trips. In the 6th, we enjoyed the Hotel Luxembourg Parc. We stayed once in an apartment in the Marais, which was fun, and a great location. In the 8th, my two favorites so far are the Hotel Keppler and Hotel Powers. We tend to prefer the smaller boutique hotels.

• Ann
        November 27, 2016 / 11:20 am

Susan, thank you so much! I found your blog about a year ago and continue to love it! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and perspective about so many things.