In This Corner…

Cartier tank watch

Ahh, the Cartier Tank watch…it’s considered a classic for a reason. I’m a sucker for those Roman numerals. And that rectangular case. But it’s Cartier, darling, and a tad on the expensive side.

square-faced watch

A few months ago I happened upon this one which scratched that itch for considerably less. It’s clean, it’s modern and I’ve been wearing it daily.

Round and oversized watches have dominated for several seasons now, and it’s nice to see more angular shapes coming back into style. To my eye, they’re both timeless and modern.

Watch Yourself…

1. Meg
    November 10, 2016 / 7:12 am

I love that look! The Cartier tank inspired my watch choice, a Raymond Weil that has that stainless and gold look. It fits my wrist well, blends with any jewelry choice, and always looks elegant! It is my only watch…

2. Sisty
    November 10, 2016 / 7:55 am

Perfect! I’ve been looking for a white-faced, gold-accented tank-type watch. Do you have a picture of yourself wearing it? It looks slightly oversized –which I’m looking for — but it would be great to see it on a wrist —

3. Susan W H
    November 10, 2016 / 8:54 am

Wonderful! Why didn’t I see any of these when I was shopping for another watch two weeks ago? I’ve had a Must de Cartier tank watch for nearly 20 years. It’s my favorite shape, but I need something dressier and something just for fun. Most of the watches I’ve see while shopping are round, and that shape doesn’t suit me.

Cartier no longer makes the bridge line Must de Cartier, and no way I can bring myself to spend the money for a gold version. I like the looks of the Chanel boyfriend watch as well, but the price is ridiculous.

Thanks for posting these.

4. Evelyn
    November 10, 2016 / 9:26 am

I love rectangular shaped watches. I’m currently wearing a black one from Skagen and I also love my tan leather one from Timex (really!).

5. November 10, 2016 / 9:45 am

I have a small Gucci watch that was a gift from my husband in our early days. But I have to admit that these days I’m wearing a Fitbit. It’s fairly sleek and discreet but I wish the band were leather rather than plastic. It is eye-opening! I gave myself way too much credit for steps taken and it has motivated me to get up and move. But if we go out, the dainty watch comes along.

6. Kristien
    November 10, 2016 / 10:21 am

Thank you for reminding me that watches still exist. I have come to rely on my phone for so much that I had forgotten how smart and useful this accessory is.

7. Sally
    November 10, 2016 / 5:41 pm

I have my grandmother’s Cartier tank….love it!

8. November 10, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Yes to angular. 🙂 It suits me better than round.

9. Laurel
    November 11, 2016 / 4:18 am

Bit of a watch freak here. I think I have 20, maybe more (haven’t counted them in a while). Several rectangular shapes — Movado, ancient (1990’s)Coach tank watches, and one funky chunky that I found in a tobacco shop in the St. Germain shopping district in Paris. I’ve started wearing them again after spending months in my Apple watch, which is great technology-wise, but I missed the ability to change up styles with my outfits.

Love the Larsson and Jennings and almost bought it during the Nord Ann Sale, but couldn’t justify another watch. Maybe Santa can help. 🙂

10. Beth Lowe
    November 11, 2016 / 6:08 am

I have a rectangular shaped watch, which I love and has been my place-holder until I felt I could afford a Cartier Tank. Unfortunately the “look for less” is dying, so I need to get my cash in hand!
    You have given me a few other options, if I decide for take a more budget minded route. Thank you.

11. November 11, 2016 / 5:49 pm

Bonaparte has a Cartier tank watch–the men’s model. And sometimes I steal it from him. And I love my lavish criminal acts because I love that watch!!!