Another Little Black Jacket Goes Casual…

little black jacket and Chanel classic flap bag styled casually

Almost ten months after leaving my administrative office job, I’m still hanging onto some of my “office” pieces to see if they can be assimilated into my more casual lifestyle. While I worked in a relatively casual environment, I was a department head (overseeing between 30-40 people at any given time) and reported directly to an EVP. So my version of Business Casual still had to be polished, especially on meeting days, and a jacket was shorthand for that.

Wearing: jacket | necklace (similar look) | tee |
bag (similar) | ring | jeans | shoes (similar)

I purchased this IRO jacket a little over a year ago. At the office I wore this with my black ponte knit pants or black trousers, which was relatively easy to style. I’ve always loved the look of a Chanel-esque jacket with jeans, and have been playing with variations on this theme.

Chanel classic flap bag, Wendy Brandes rings

The nice thing about this jacket is that it’s stretchy like a knit, and unlined, so it doesn’t look or feel too stiff. If black isn’t your thing, it’s also available in other colors.

jeans, tweed jacket, ankle strap pumps

Chanel classic caviar flap bag

The Swarovski crystal bead necklace was purchased in Paris during my visit last December. I posted previously about my shopping adventures with Greetje of No Fear Of Fashion, and with Josephine of Chic At Any Age. Rings are by Wendy Brandes.

jeans, tee, black jacket

These Eileen Fisher boyfriend jeans just keep getting better with age.

All photos by Tannaz Photography. Instagram here.

Little Black Jackets And More…

1. Susan W H
    March 2, 2017 / 4:15 am

I love the way you’ve styled this jacket. In fact, I like all of your looks in the last few months. You have created an ideal outfit–casual yet elegant, simple yet interesting and relaxed-looking. You’ve inspired me to try something similar with clothes and accessories I already own.

2. March 2, 2017 / 4:36 am

Your jacket-with-jeans look is beautiful — casual but still polished. Love the EF jeans, too.

I’ve been a freelance journalist for more than 30 years, so “business casual” is my dress code — with the emphasis on “casual.” Even when I do story interviews, in most cases I can wear jeans or slacks. But I also wear jackets with the jeans — and good shoes — as you’ve shown with your look here.

I rely on Eileen Fisher basics, which are comfortable yet always polished and professional, yet they have a creative edge too. When I speak at writers’ conferences or lead workshops, I ditch the jeans and wear a jacket and pants or a dress with boots. I have a longer EF jacket in black that’s a bit dressier, and makes me feel confident.

3. March 2, 2017 / 4:59 am

I love your jacket, and it’s exactly the kind of thing I see French women wearing–also with jeans. That yin/yang of dressy+casual.
    Great that you have Wendy’s jewelry. She’s an old friend.

4. Marianne
    March 2, 2017 / 5:44 am

Love this look on you!

5. Suz
    March 2, 2017 / 6:37 am

You look great. ( as always!). Thank you for all your posts. I always enjoy them and often learn something too. Suz from Vancouver

6. Sheri Baker
    March 2, 2017 / 6:46 am

I love your sunglasses. What brand are they?

7. Diplospice
    March 2, 2017 / 6:52 am

IRO Paris is such a great brand. Their jackets are to me the epitome of transitional dressing – pieces that can work as suiting or with jeans. I love mine over dresses as well. Their cost per wear is low and the quality superb. Love this look on you!

8. plutrell
    March 2, 2017 / 7:27 am

This is such a great outfit for in or out of the office! Love the jacket and you look perfect for any occasion!

9. March 2, 2017 / 7:59 am

Fabulous look on you Susan! I love how you dressed this jacket down. Those boyfriend jeans look like a shape I might actually be able to wear without being overwhelmed.

10. Mary
    March 2, 2017 / 8:53 am

Love little jackets like this that can be worn year round, spring, summer, autumn and, under a coat, even in winter. I also love the blog!

11. March 2, 2017 / 9:15 am

I do love the Chanel-esque jacket paired with pants or jeans, too. That’s a great jacket and outfit you’ve put together, and I love those darling Mary Janes you wear often. You’re so smart to devote a lot of your clothes budget in shoes!

In the apres-retirement jacket department, I’ve held onto a couple of sleek black jackets (one shorter than the other), a fabulous St. John aqua Chanel-ish jacket (long-sleeved), another Chanel-ish Cynthia Rowley jacket (trimmed with black sequins), and a Worth New York green and black 3/4-sleeved jacket.

Since retirement, the jackets I’ve focused on are leather and of the moto- variety.

But my fantasy (which I’ve not yet realized) is a luxe tuxedo pantsuit. Sigh. I need that. I really do.

12. March 2, 2017 / 10:15 am

I love your styling, your jacket, your bag (!), your jeans, your shoes, your rings and of course your necklace (obviously).
    Very good styling my dear Susan.
    Greetje

13. Joanna
    March 2, 2017 / 10:26 am

A blazer really does dress up a pair of jeans. I have my eye out for a similar jacket in my price range.
    You have a beautiful smile!

14. March 2, 2017 / 10:59 am

Looking great lady!!! Love the photographs. Really capture the best of you.

15. Janey
    March 2, 2017 / 11:21 am

I am gearing up to retirement, and I won’t have much money to travel or have expensive hobbies. I would love for you to do a post on how you have foinf the tradition, any hints. It is the emotion of not working and feeling important that I think will be hard.

16. March 2, 2017 / 12:56 pm

I think you can use all of your business jackets in this fashion. I love this look!

17. Kristien
    March 2, 2017 / 2:43 pm

I love this look and am so glad to see the jacket paired with jeans. I still have a few pieces like this tucked away waiting for a reason to use them. I never thought of just using them in a casual look with jeans. I got rid of most of my working clothes (rather spitefully, I might add. I hated my job), but I also have a few cardigans in prints that I button up and wear with a chunky jewelry and jeans. They were part of sweater “sets”. I jettisoned the matching tanks or short sleeved sweaters. Too matchy – matchy and stuffy.

18. March 2, 2017 / 2:47 pm

Such a classic look – as others have noted, you can do this with nearly every jacket/blazer. Love your Wendy Brandes rings – I have two of hers and have gotten my cost-per-wear down to pennies over the past 5+ years!

19. magpiejen
    March 2, 2017 / 6:06 pm

I love your watch but you didn’t list it. What brand is it?

March 2, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Hi magpiejen, thanks! It’s actually a vintage Cartier. I’ll be doing a post about it soon.

• Lenchen
        June 12, 2017 / 4:03 pm

Did you do the post on the vintage Cartier? I’d love to read it

June 12, 2017 / 8:56 pm

Not yet. 🙂

20. Willene
    March 2, 2017 / 6:18 pm

Absolutely love the look. I do like my jackets a little longer but this one is really nice. Also jeans, tee & shoes.

21. Kay
    March 2, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Where did you pose for the pictures. Looks a little like Santa Moncia to me.

March 2, 2017 / 9:38 pm

Hi Kay, these were actually taken in downtown Culver City.

22. March 4, 2017 / 7:44 am

I love that little jacket!

My work-wear to off-duty piece is a black open cardigan that I can wear over almost anything. It’s soft, light, and doesn’t wrinkle so I can throw it in the back seat or ball it up in my carry-on and it’s ready to go when I am.

23. Wendelah
    March 6, 2017 / 1:06 pm

“Are there workwear pieces in your wardrobe that you’ve successfully transitioned to off-duty wear?” In a word, no. When I was working, I wore hospital scrubs provided by my employer. No, wait. That’s not entirely true. I still wear my Brooks Ariel running shoes.