Room With A View: Venice

Venice room view, small canal in San Marco area

Our hotel in Venice is very small, and on a quiet street near a side canal.

Venice canal and private garden

And across the canal is someone’s beautiful private garden.

Yesterday was our first full day in Venice, and the city is packed, even though the Biennale di Venezia (arts festival) doesn’t officially start until next week. We were glad to have chosen a small hotel on one of the smaller, quiet streets.

For those of you who have asked about where we’re staying, I’ll do a complete write-up once we’re home.

I have SO many photos to sift through and share with you, but we’re going to take advantage of another break in the rain to get out and explore. In Venice, one gets around either on foot or by boat.

The Grand Canal is the main waterway through the city, and is always packed with taxis, vaporettos (public water busses) and commercial barges ferrying all sorts of goods. Here’s a little taste of the organized chaos of the Grand Canal (including audio)…

1. Maryann
    May 7, 2017 / 3:16 am

Thanks for the photos. I was in Venice last year and saw someone moving house by boat. It was fascinating to watch as they loaded everyday items such as a refrigerator and beds on to a boat then speed off.

2. May 7, 2017 / 3:48 am

Italy is wonderful- I would go back to Venice in a snap–I am loving your posts ! Thank you!

3. LISA DAVENPORT
    May 7, 2017 / 4:42 am

Tell me, Susan, do you plan your own travel? Do you use a travel agent? Such great places!

4. May 7, 2017 / 7:52 am

My husband and I sailed away from Venice on a cruise ship and the sight of the city glistening in the sun was unforgettable.

5. Linda
    May 7, 2017 / 8:40 am

I’m getting excited for our trip!!! Several days in Venice, then several days in Rome…but mid July so probably hot!

6. May 7, 2017 / 8:41 am

Beautiful photos. My first visit to Venice was during Carnivale–lousy weather but very moody, with lots of the locals in costumes (and almost no tourists). Venice during nice weather is wonderful, too.

7. May 7, 2017 / 8:47 am

Just NOTHING like it, is there?! Sounds like you made a great choice of hotel location – enoy!

8. Patrish
    May 7, 2017 / 9:04 am

I think I recognize Corte di Gabriela! One of my favorites.
    Love Venice but only in the off-season…November/December
    are pure magic.

9. Clariza
    May 7, 2017 / 10:05 am

I love Venice! We went in late October and the weather was great and no crowds. I love your blog and have been following your Italy posts, excited each day to see what you post. But no pressure, enjoy your time and I will patiently wait your posts when you return as well.

10. Maridin
    May 7, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Awwww…beautiful photo Susan!!! Evokes sweet memories of when I was there last year, July at 40 deg C weather. Venice, or Italy is awesome!! enjoy your time there and make beautiful memories. My sister lives there so, you’re right, we walked and walked. Looking forward to your photos when you return.

11. Julia
    May 7, 2017 / 1:08 pm

Bellissimo
    Venice is a place where you can slide between centuries.
    The magic of Venice. I always wonder if all the people I see are really of this century. The ghosts are all around you.

May 7, 2017 / 10:32 pm

Yes! I’ve often had that feeling here.

12. Kay
    May 8, 2017 / 5:22 pm

The last time I was in Venice, the weather switched from rain to cloudbursts and then back again. I hope you’re staying dry.