The Summer Jacket

style blogger Susan B. of une femme d'un certain âge wearing a Missoni knit jacket with jeans and metallic sandals

A good summer jacket is hard to find. But I really hit the jackpot with this knit jacket from Missoni that I purchased in Rome. It’s very lightweight, breathes and doesn’t wrinkle. Win-win-win!

This jacket is currently marked down 40% at the linked retailer.  (Oops, promotion seems to have ended.) Yes, it was a big splurge, but to be honest the full price online is about 33% higher than what I paid for it in Rome. I’ve found European brands are often marked up 30% (or more) for the US. Some of that’s probably due to import duties, but I suspect markups on the higher end are opportunistic. It sucks, but the same markup happens when US brands are sold there.

This is such a classic piece that I love and hope to wear often and for years, so I felt it was a pretty safe gamble to be a good investment over time.

Details…

jacket | necklace | necklace | top | ring | jeans | shoes

Susan B. at une femme d'un certain age wearing French Kande medallion necklaces

French Kande silver ring with vintage French medallion, a favorite of style blogger Susan B. of une femme d'un certain age

I styled it here with a few of my favorite French Kande pieces, two necklaces from the most recent collections here and here (gifted) and a large silver bezel ring.

Susan B. at une femme d'un certain age loves these silver metallic slide sandals from Paul Green

And finished off the outfit with silver mules. I’ve been wearing these jeans frequently because they’re really comfortable and I love the wash. I know some of you aren’t crazy about the frayed hems, so I promise to rotate in some different styles in upcoming outfit posts.

Lightweight knit summer jacket worn by style blogger Susan B. at une femme d'un certain age

All photos by Tannaz Photography. Instagram here.

Find Your Summer Jacket…

1. June 12, 2017 / 4:49 am

That is the perfect jacket. The cut, but also the pattern. You could wear that with black/white, with colors, even, if you’re daring, with a floral top or skirt.

2. Kellee
    June 12, 2017 / 5:25 am

Love this look! Never been a Missoni fan, but this outfit is changing my mind.

How do you like your mules? Do they stay on your feet?

3. June 12, 2017 / 6:26 am

Glad to see that jacket you bought in Rome up close. The pattern is truly lovely. I am a fan of Missoni, although I’ve only purchased scarves thus far, which do bring much excitement to an ensemble.

BTW, I happen to be in L.A. this week working with a client. Last night at dinner on Melrose, I thought of your daytrip to this neck of the woods a few months ago. So happy June Gloom is absent for now. L.A. and the jacaranda are glorious.

4. RoseAG
    June 12, 2017 / 9:07 am

I was at a conference this weekend and black/white patterned parts are everywhere. Doing a patterned jacket instead would be a nod to the fashion, without looking that everyone else.

5. Daniella Karo
    June 12, 2017 / 9:28 am

Great jacket! Prefer different pants!! Perhaps some chic black or white jeans would be a better choice. Even wide calf length trousers will work well with the slick cut on top!! Certainly, that’s how I would wear it. Strictly my take. Not good for TV appearances though, pattern hard on the eye.

• Nicole K
      June 12, 2017 / 11:24 am

Love! I’m from the California jeans contingent though, so styling with jeans is always my first choice. Of course, some black capris would be my second choice with the punch coming from the bag color or complementary pattern. Thanks Susan. I’m going to try the IRO stripe jacket you featured. Hope it works.

6. Alyson That's Not My Age
    June 12, 2017 / 11:06 am

I do love a summer jacket and that’s a good ‘un

7. MARLA
    June 12, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Simply GORGEOUS!! Woo hoo……fabulous investment!!!

8. Pamela
    June 12, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Love the Missoni jacket and it really suits you – a great fan of the brand. Have quite a collection of their scarves. Also love their bath towels and other home accessories.
    My favourite every day jewellery (and for night time too) are my Georg Jensen pieces – a large bangle originally designed in the 1950s but re-released for a short time about a year ago. I was lucky to be able to get it during the short window – also their chunky rings and some great ear-rings. All real silver and designed and made by artists. The other day we were at a brocante in Paris and one of the jewellery dealers stopped me to admire them and take a closer look. Suddenly he swept off his hat and bowed low from the waist. “I salute your jewellery, Madame!” The French can be like that. So charming.

Will be here for the June sales – so looking forward to them as they have such brilliant bargains every year.
    Wandered through Ralph Lauren in St Germain today. Take your point about things being super priced when overseas. These certainly seemed to be, though I don’t know how much RL costs in the States. But anyway they looked really boring compared to French clothes. Why would you visit Paris and buy Ralph Lauren here. There were very few people in the store, mostly Americans. The only two things I liked weren’t RL at all but a couple of vintage scarves that didn’t have designer brands still attached – stunningly beautiful – but also stunningly expensive. Would rather go to Hermes or Chanel for new. You can find gorgeous French scarves in brocantes in the South for a fraction of the price of those in RL. I picked up a lovely vintage Jean Patou silk scarf (from 1980) in perfect condition in Antibes, less than one sixth of the price of the ones I saw today. Best wishes, Pamela

9. June 12, 2017 / 2:15 pm

J’adore votre poulet necklace!

10. Frances Florida
    June 12, 2017 / 9:22 pm

I am way too cheap to splurge like that … but … but … but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about that jacket since the picture you posted when you bought it. It fits like it was made for you. And it looks comfortable, too!

11. sequinist
    June 13, 2017 / 2:27 am

I love that jacket, and LOOOOOVE Missoni because it never dates. You can wear that 10 years from now or could have worn it 10 years ago and it still looks modern. It is a perfect splurge item! xx