Same Dress, New Look…

Style blogger Susan B. wears an Eileen Fisher silk dress and duster cardigan with Loeffler Randall clutch

When I debuted this dress in an earlier post (Yes, It’s A Dress), I had a few more styling options in mind. This is one of them. It just took the right accessories to make it all come together.

Wearing:

earrings (similar) | cardigan (Petite/Regular/Plus) |
dress (Petite/Regular) | necklace | bracelet | bag (similar) | shoes

The styling here is still on the casual side, but with a switch of shoes this could easily “upgrade” for a wedding or other special occasion look. I’m wearing a Petite Small in both the silk dress and the cardigan. I love the just-below-the-knee length of this dress!

Loeffler Randall fringe clutch and French Kande pearl bracelet. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’d had my eye on this bag since I saw Allie from Wardrobe Oxygen with the same one in Ivory at the RewardStyle conference. While I hemmed and hawed, the ivory one sold out online. I wasn’t sure about the pink, but then spotted it on a sale table recently and it grabbed me. With an additional Friends & Family discount, it was over 50% off!

Detail: style blogger Susan B. of une femme d'un certain age wears Jeffrey Campbell mules

I’d purchased these shoes last year in a gorgeous russet color. They are so comfortable and so reasonably priced that a few weeks ago I picked up a second pair in the pink suede. The color is really a nice alternative to nude or beige.

Nail polish is Chanel “Particuliere.”

I keep coming back around to the approach of building a wardrobe of simple, versatile pieces, and using accessories to create variety and different levels of formality. I haven’t run out of ideas for styling this dress (or the other one) yet! Stay tuned…

Have you recently found an accessory that made an outfit come together?

Get The Look…

1. RK
    July 17, 2017 / 3:16 am

What a pretty, ladylike look. A great demonstration of remixing and changing a look with carefully selected accessories! And I can see those pink shoes and bag working well with your black and denim staples. And khaki too.

July 17, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Thanks so much, RK! Yes, I think both the bags and shoes will see a lot of use.

2. Nancy
    July 17, 2017 / 4:20 am

LOVE THIS OUTFIT

July 17, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Thanks, Nancy!

3. Nethwen
    July 17, 2017 / 5:31 am

This is gorgeous on you! You look fantastic. I’m not a dress wearer, either, but if you can find this color and layering combo in a pants outfit, you’ve got a golden combination that you could wear anytime you want to impress without wearing a dress. I saw the lead photo and thought, “Stunning!”

July 17, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Thanks so much Nethwen!

4. July 17, 2017 / 5:39 am

I really like the dress and cardi with the pink, Sue. Like RK says…it’s soft and ladylike and lovely. And so many options other possible options for the dress and also for that pink purse:) I have a pink bag that I almost gave away a few years ago and then last year hauled it out to wear with a navy dress and new soft pink suede sandals.

July 17, 2017 / 5:07 pm

Sue, thanks very much! Yes, I’m already envisioning several outfits around this bag… 😉

5. Tracy
    July 17, 2017 / 6:56 am

I’m going to a wedding the beginning of September. I have my outfit all planned, but now I want to scrap it and get this complete look instead. I won’t, but I want to! Lovely. I love the look of a long cardigan over a dress, and your purse and shoes really make the whole look here.

July 17, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Thanks so much, Tracy! I really surprised myself with these pink accessories, and how much I liked them.

6. July 17, 2017 / 6:59 am

That dress is so elegant, and I bet it’s cool and comfortable, too. The pink accents are so refreshing; I probably would have defaulted to beige/tan or black. Next time I will take a cue from you and try pink.

July 17, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Thanks very much, francetaste! This dress really is cool and comfortable.

7. July 17, 2017 / 7:54 am

Love this outfit and the color combinations! Mixing grey, ivory and that dusty pink is a wonderful combination. I love the dress on you but I stay away from them myself – won’t stop me from using this color combination in my trademark pants though! I fell in love with that dusty pink when it came out and purchased sandals and a bag in it…..on to my closet to put a grey pants outfit together! Thanks for the inspiration!

July 17, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Thanks charliesthreads! I’m usually dress-averse myself, but the longer length on this one made it easier to wear without hosiery.

8. July 17, 2017 / 7:56 am

So lovely to see you in a dress! You should wear dresses more often. Great look.x

July 17, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Thanks, catlover53. I usually don’t feel comfortable in dresses, but this one is an exception.

9. Lisa Bruzzese
    July 17, 2017 / 8:06 am

I LOVE THAT LOOK! Love the pink accessories. Great idea which I will have to copy. I’ve stopped buying EF because I feel the quality has declined and their shipping/return policy is an issue for me. The closest store is an hour away so returns are difficult and cost too much. That dress though….I picture wearing it with a turtleneck in the fall with tights and boots.

July 17, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Lisa, thanks very much! There’s so much about this dress that works for me…the easy (but not too full) shape, the utter lightness of it, and the length. It’s also available from Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, if the shipping and returns are a concern.

10. PatriciaB
    July 17, 2017 / 11:17 am

Wow…I wouldn’t have looked twice at that dress since I don’t like a v-neck on a sleeveless dress. But you’ve styled it (twice) in ways that play up the lovely, fluttery bottom half of the dress. And, as usual, the accessories you’ve chosen are spot-on. And you look wonderful in dresses.

July 17, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Hi PatriciaB, the dress actually has a scoopneck, not a v-neck if that helps. I love the fluttery hem too! Thanks!

11. Mary, The Pouting Pensioner
    July 17, 2017 / 3:03 pm

It was only when I saw your lovely legs in this post, that I suddenly realised, hey, Susan hardly ever wears dresses! You look gorgeous and the pink teaming is a great choice for grey.

July 17, 2017 / 5:17 pm

Hi Mary, it’s true; I don’t wear dresses often. I don’t like wearing hosiery in the summer, or exposing too much leg (lots of blue veins and discoloration). The longer hem on this one made it easier to manage. Thank you!!

• July 19, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Your legs are beautiful – it is normal to have blue veins with your fair colouring. Women with darker skin often have uneven pigmentation – nobody looks like catwalk models, not even them when they aren’t styled. I agree that the slightly longer dress is softer looking and more comfy to wear.

12. July 17, 2017 / 4:36 pm

You look fabulous! This Susan rarely wears a dress either. A dress looks so much better on you than I. Know thyself!

July 17, 2017 / 5:18 pm

Thanks so much, Susan! I’m still more comfortable in pants than dresses as well, but it’s nice to have this option.

13. Anna Bartels
    July 17, 2017 / 7:34 pm

You look great! I am a 42 year old fan and you are my style icon. Your legs are fab!

14. Sweet Sue
    July 17, 2017 / 10:05 pm

You look so pretty.

15. Susan
    July 18, 2017 / 1:59 am

Not sure why you rarely wear dresses as you look really lovely in this outfit. Beautiful colour combination, very flattering.

16. July 18, 2017 / 10:33 am

Susan, I truly adore your dress look on you. The length of that skirt would even work for me by covering up my truly gargantuan knees and calf tops. It’s just lovely — the grey / cream / pink combo. After all this time you still come up with new looks / combinations to fascinate me. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

17. The Cat
    July 19, 2017 / 4:02 pm

Lovely outfit. Great length. Hope to see more outfits like this. 🙂

18. August 22, 2017 / 8:46 pm

What a lovely and versatile dress! I liked it in the first post, but I love it here.

August 23, 2017 / 6:14 am