Room With A View: Paris

The quintissential Paris courtyard. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I have a courtyard view this time. Not as exciting as a boulevard, but it’s lovely and very quiet.

It’s so nice to be back in Paris! I arrived late yesterday afternoon, did a bit of exploring around the immediate area, and had a light dinner en terrasse at a nearby café. The weather is still pleasantly warm, though it’s supposed to cool off tomorrow.

The light yesterday wasn’t great, so I popped out early this morning to snap a few shots in the Jardin du Luxembourg. It never disappoints!

early morning in jardin du Luxemberoug Paris. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The Medici Fountain in the Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris in Autumn.

Autumn leaves in the Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris.

I’ve already made a quick pass through City Pharma, and will go back later with a list.

Paris Style Notes

I’ll be taking copious notes this week on what I’ve observed here style-wise. What did stand out immediately though, were a couple of ubiquitous footwear choices.

Stan Smith style sneakers are popular in Paris.

Sneakers are still everywhere. Solid colors (white or black) and sleeker styles predominate. Lots of Stan Smiths. No age limit.

Tan and black cap-toe ballet flat

The other type of shoe that I spotted on women of all ages is the cap-toe ballet flat. Whether contrasting like this one or solid, flat or with a low heel, the cap toe detail seems popular.

Once the cooler, wetter weather arrives, my guess is that I’ll be seeing more boots.

Paris is calling, and I’m heading out the door. More soon!

1. Linda Boardman Kerr
    October 19, 2017 / 3:52 am

Je suis jaloux! And I’ve always loved capped-toe shoes. The Taryn Rose ones are perfect. Your view reminds me of one I’ve had at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, near the Place de la Contrescarpe.

2. Kellee
    October 19, 2017 / 4:09 am

Have an amazing time! Luxembourg is my favorite, although Plantes is gaining on it!

3. October 19, 2017 / 4:11 am

I will look for the Taryn Rose capped-toed flats. I loved seeing you photos from Paris. October to early November is my favorite time to be in Paris. I wish I could be there.

4. Jan
    October 19, 2017 / 4:41 am

Paris is certainly gorgeous in Autumn. I love to see a carpet of golden leaves just waiting to be scrunched! The weather is usually perfect for lots of walking without getting overheated.

5. Sharon Daly
    October 19, 2017 / 5:32 am

Wishing you a wonderful time. The Medici fountain is my favorite spot in Paris, and a photo of it hangs in my bedroom, a memento of many happy times in the Luxembourg Gardens.

6. Katie
    October 19, 2017 / 6:01 am

I just returned yesterday from 5 weeks in France and would go back tomorrow if I could. We are seriously looking into doing a house swap for 3 months or so. On this trip (countryside & cities) I thought more women were dressing more casually, – lots of denim, low heeled shoes, jackets/blazers, and the ubiquitous scarves. But there, even ‘casual’ comes across as elegant. And how do those women manage to glide over cobblestone streets in stilettos?

7. October 19, 2017 / 6:02 am

My mom called those spectators, and considered them the height of chic.
    If you want a charming little spot for dinner, check out le Square Trousseau, a short walk from the Bastille.

8. joan
    October 19, 2017 / 6:31 am

Merci pour les photos délicieuses!!!

9. Melissa
    October 19, 2017 / 6:35 am

Thank you so much for taking us with you and giving us the gift of vicarious travel. Enjoy making memories!

10. PatriciaB
    October 19, 2017 / 7:49 am

Keppler? This was on your list of places to stay in Paris some time ago, so we booked a week there in May. Lovely hotel, great location, attentive staff. Hermes toiletries!

October 19, 2017 / 8:39 am

Not this time, but I’m hoping to stay there again on our next visit.

11. Kendra
    October 19, 2017 / 8:33 am

Ah, so happy for you. Enjoy every moment!

12. October 19, 2017 / 8:38 am

Lovely photos of a most lovely city. Enjoy Paris to the hilt!

13. Alison M.
    October 19, 2017 / 8:55 am

I’m curious: do you speak French, and if so, how/where did you learn? Does it enhance your feeling of being “a local” rather than a tourist? Have you tried any of the new app-based language instruction series such as Coffee Break French? I love studying languages and wish I had more opportunity to try out my French here in L.A.

October 19, 2017 / 9:02 am

Hi Alison, I studied French for five years in Jr. High, High School and college. I’m currently able to say/ask pretty much anything I want to in French (though not in complicated tenses), but sometimes understanding the responses is tough. They often assume my grasp of the language is better than it is. Parisians speak very quickly, and I’m also experiencing a some hearing loss (runs in my family). So I apologize and ask them to repeat or switch to English if possible when subject gets too complex.

14. October 19, 2017 / 9:11 am

Reminds me of the courtyard in Hotel des Grandes Écoles as well, although I’m guessing you’re somewhere even more central.

15. Kay
    October 19, 2017 / 9:54 am

My grandchildren love Jardin du Luxembourg, the playground and the carousel, the little boats. Paris is a wonderful city for children, and I encourage friends to take the kids along when they visit.

16. October 19, 2017 / 11:01 am

Oh, how wonderful. I know you’ll have a great time. Let’s get together when you return. So looking forward to your posts from Paris.

17. elizaduckie
    October 19, 2017 / 12:02 pm

Beautiful! Especially your courtyard view. Thanks for taking me along. Enjoy!

18. Sharon ('Madam Stitch')
    October 19, 2017 / 12:03 pm

Oh, Susan, makes me want to go to Pariee! Would love to just sit in a little street cafe and watch the passing parade! Do love that courtyard! Enjoy it all!

19. October 19, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Fabulous photos – it looks magical. Love Paris…been there in every season but Fall and that is next on my list. Keep posting your trip….and have a fabulous time!

20. October 19, 2017 / 3:04 pm

Thanks for the bistro recommendation- I’ve put it on my list for later this year. And so close to our favourite Ble Sucre.

21. Linda Boardman Kerr
    October 19, 2017 / 3:11 pm

How cool that you also know of that delightful place!

22. Jill Ann
    October 19, 2017 / 4:25 pm

I have those very same Van Eli slingbacks, in navy with a navy patent leather toe!

23. JacqB
    October 22, 2017 / 5:59 am

Where are you staying? Love the quiet view – appeals as a bit restorative. We were in Paris in February and the police – metal detetector – aremed guards were such a sad surprise.

24. October 23, 2017 / 11:24 am

Makes me happy you’re there and writing to us. Your photos show us a beautifully decayed, sepia version of Paris. Ah, autumn!