Now That It’s Scarf Season…

An easy scarf tie for oblong scarves. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Scarf Tutorial

Several of you have asked how I tied my scarf in this post, so here’s a quick tutorial. I like to use this arrangement when I’m wearing an oblong scarf and don’t want the long ends flapping. If your scarf has a fabric that “grabs” (isn’t too slippery) it will stay put all day with this tie.

Scarf tying tutorial: an easy tie for oblong scarves. More at une femme d'un certain age.

I’d hoped to pick up a new scarf or two when I was in Paris, but surprisingly didn’t see any that inspired me. I’m keeping my eyes open for one or two candidates to freshen my scarf wardrobe.

J.Crew red and green tartan wool scarf. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I love a tartan and this one is so fun and bright.

Eileen Fisher printed scarf. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I like these soft autumnal colors, and it’s also on sale. (Available in blue as well.)

large cashmere wrap from Bloomingdale's. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’ve also been wanting to get myself a nice big cashmere wrap for travel in a light neutral color. I may snap up this one while it’s on sale this weekend.

long scarf in fall floral print from Anthropologie. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

If you’re looking for a wool-free scarf, here’s something in a pretty fall floral.

And a few more options…

Weekend Sales

Ann Taylor: 40% off purchase with code FRIENDS40.

Bloomingdales: $25 off every $100 you spend with code PRIVATE. (Some exclusions.)

Gap: up to 50% off everything, and extra 20% off with code CHEERS.

J.Crew: 40% off cool weather essentials with code LAYERUP.

Lands’ End: 40% off regular price with code WALNUT, pin 7199

Loft: 40% off everything with code HAPPY.

Nordstrom: Fall Sale, up to 40% off.

White House Black Market: Friends & Family 25% off with code 27688.

Bon weekend!

1. November 11, 2017 / 7:12 am

I love your scarf, Sue. I have one that looks quite similar. It’s very lightweight and great for the transition season. Even though it’s actually a spring scarf I wear it early in the fall. But now that we are officially into the deep freeze here, I’ve hauled out my woolies.

2. Sherry
    November 11, 2017 / 7:15 am

Thank you for the scarf tutorial, I am always looking for a fresh new way to tie a scarf , especially since the weather has suddenly turned quite cold !

3. Candy
    November 11, 2017 / 7:17 am

Perfect timing. It’s suddenly bitterly cold here in DC and I’m needing something pretty to perk up my wardrobe and protect my neck. Love the black fall floral.

4. Elizabeth
    November 11, 2017 / 7:49 am

Like Sherry (above), I really appreciate any tutorials that you can offer. Perhaps you could do more with scarves and how to up-date past clothing purchases. A few posts back, you mentioned that you regard expensive pieces as investments. I agree, but still hold off until a piece is reduced in price. So, with an investment piece from the past, it’s nice to “refresh” it to increase the wear time. Of course scarves can do that. Any more suggestions, Susan? Many thanks for your ideas.

5. Margaret
    November 11, 2017 / 8:32 am

Love this tutorial, thank you, Susan! I appreciate the links to some very pretty scarves too. I read your blog every morning that it is available, and it always gets my day started on a positive note. Thank so much!

6. November 11, 2017 / 8:35 am

Thanks for this tutorial, Susan. I just took a favorite cashmere, silk scarf in super-flattering colors (tan and rose) that’s always flummoxed me into the bathroom and followed your directions. This scarf is pretty long, so I had to do three loops around the neck, then followed the rest of your directions.

I’m now headed out to take a walk and run some Saturday morning errands. I’m so happy to have my beautiful scarf on. It’s the little things that turn a grey day into a pretty one. 🙂

7. November 11, 2017 / 9:16 am

I absolutely love this scarf on you!! It really compliments your gorgeous skin and hair color, and the lip color is the perfect shade to pull it all together….. stunning

8. plutrell
    November 11, 2017 / 9:30 am

Thanks so much, Susan! I am going to do this soon!

9. Pamela
    November 11, 2017 / 9:33 am

I follow you blog Susan and it’s inspiring and uplifting.Only just read your previous blog and noted that silly people have sent silly rude comments and that’s just what they are Silly! Always remember if you get daft comments at the end of the day you are the better person.Keep blogging Susan.
    Oh yeah I too think scarves can add a pop of colour and interest to an outfit.I also follow ‘Susan after 60’ she always adds interest to an outfit with cheerful scarves. Oh well I don’t usually comment on blogs I follow but it bugged me that people send rude or cheeky messages to bloggers.Pamela from Wales x

10. Coco
    November 11, 2017 / 10:02 am

His was very helpful to see another way to wear a scarf. Here in LA, it’s actually and finally scarf weather. I was wondering if you would want to share “hair care” in some post. I have fine short blonde hair that I wear in a similar style. I have found some very good products but always interested in others. Thanks. Colleen

11. November 11, 2017 / 11:15 am

What a great scarf-tie!! Thank you! [goes off to give it a try]

12. Pam
    November 11, 2017 / 11:19 am

I still have a little booklet that Nordstrom handed out in the 80’s called ‘How to Tie a Scarf’ and I appreciate the updated look you’ve shown. I love the floral print on the scarf from Anthropologie. Thanks for another great post, I look forward to them!

13. November 11, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Voila! Thank you. You always find the best scarves! Do you find then walking in stores or online?

November 11, 2017 / 5:46 pm

You’re very welcome. I’d say probably half and half, online vs. stores.

14. Meg
    November 12, 2017 / 5:14 am

Susan, I have a number of the big silk square scarves. I never manage to tie them in an interesting way. Perhaps at some time, you can help us with some ideas for the Big Silky Squares?
    I immediately ran to my scarf collection and practiced your tie method on my long scarf and I must say, it’s a winner! Thanks so much.

15. November 12, 2017 / 7:11 am

Oh this is fab. When I interviewed Mary Berry I asked her to show me how she tied her scarf – and then made her repeat it about four times so that I could get it right!

16. November 12, 2017 / 10:36 am

This scarf is gorgeous on you. Thanks for the tutorial as well. I pine for that tartan scarf!

17. Renae DeVaul
    November 13, 2017 / 8:15 am

Thanks for the info on the sale at Bloomingdales. I just ordered two cashmere wraps as a birthday present to me!

18. YVONNE
    November 14, 2017 / 7:07 am

Thanks for this post! Questions: Do you leave tags on your scarves? My luck is that the tag always flips to the front, which detracts from the look. Also, do you always dry clean your scarves per manufacturer instructions, or can you get away with hand washing?

November 14, 2017 / 7:29 am

Hi Yvonne, I usually remove larger tags. They annoy me. 😉 And yes, I wash almost all of my scarves, usually in a lingerie bag in the machine on the gentle cycle. Cold water. The scarf I’m wearing in this post has probably been washed half a dozen times.

• YVONNE
        November 14, 2017 / 7:35 am

Thanks, Susan — love your blog — have a great day!

19. November 15, 2017 / 1:23 am

Come to Scotland if you want tartan. We are drowning in it. Luscious cashmere mill near my home – Johnstons of Elgin. https://www.johnstonscashmere.com/retail/ Tip if you or any of your readers ever makes it there – they have huge hampers of slightly imperfect scarves, at a fraction of the cost of perfect. I buy all my tartan scarves there.

20. Ramona Black
    November 15, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Changed my life! Great scarf tie especially with a coat/jacket. Who knew? Not me!

21. Brigitte
    November 16, 2017 / 8:12 am

I have been reading your blog daily for years. My first go-to site!! Thank you for the scarf tutorial. Perfect for now.