On My Style Radar (Again): Grey Denim

Style blogger Susan B. wears J Brand grey denim jeans, a striped tee and utility jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A Contender

This outfit was a runner-up for my 2017 Favorite Outfits list, and is another reminder to wear those grey denim jeans more often. (My jeans here. Utility jacket here.) Grey jeans are as versatile as blue denim, and depending on the wash, maybe a little more polished. They’ll go with just about any other color, though I especially like them paired with black which I think is most chic.

I prefer a less distressed style, though would consider a raw or split hem. If you’re on the hunt for some grey denim, here are a few options:

Two outfits with grey denim jeans. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Splurge

Frame | Paige | J Brand | AG Jeans | M.i.h.

Gap | NYDJ | Caslon | Loft | Gap

Plus

NYDJ | Good American | Caslon | Lafayette 148 New York

Photo by Tannaz Photography. Original outfit post here.

1. JIll
    December 29, 2017 / 3:49 am

I have a pair of gray denim jeans and I love that they go well with many colored tops…..they are a straight cut and fit great. Love the way you paired your gray with the olive coat and stripe shirt….Nice!

2. Elisabeth Mestlin
    December 29, 2017 / 4:02 am

I always liked gray jeans ,I have 4 pairs skinny,not so skinny,normal and (maybe somebody remembers this Chico’s hat some in bootcut wis Swarovski crystals .a long tine ago .now I am 67 and still love them .so lucky.

3. Kathy
    December 29, 2017 / 5:16 am

I love that combo, too I need a new pair and it will really increase my options.

4. Jean S
    December 29, 2017 / 5:25 am

Your post inspired me to find my own gray denim jeans. I did, and I do love them.

5. Linda B
    December 29, 2017 / 5:49 am

Last summer, I was inspired by current trends to try embellishing a pair of jeans with some embroidery–something I hadn’t done since high school in the ’70’s! Not wanting to invest a lot in case in didn’t work out, I picked up a pair of distressed grey jeans at TJ Maxx for about $20, then worked up a design with fall foliage (because I miss those gorgeous maple leaves so much here in Arizona, and coppery colors are my faves along with grey.) They are now my favorite jeans. The distressing isn’t work-friendly, but I wear them everywhere else! You never know where you’ll find the best grey jeans. . .

6. Mary Jackson
    December 29, 2017 / 6:16 am

I’ve been wanting a pair of grey jeans, but because I need to make my pants, I’ve not yet been successful to find fabric. You have given me incentive to look at some of the online stores! Happy New Year!

7. Nancy
    December 29, 2017 / 6:30 am

As usual, you’ve managed to find the perfect ones! I have a too-light pair of grey jeans and a too-dark one (appear faded black), neither of which looks very polished.

8. December 29, 2017 / 8:16 am

I like grey denim, too. Grey boots, too, and grey sweaters.

9. Shybiker
    December 29, 2017 / 8:28 am

Excellent look. And not only do I admire your shoes but they showcase your attractive nail-color!

10. citizen spot
    December 29, 2017 / 8:31 am

Back in the 80’s I had a pair of gray twill pants that went with everything, especially a lavender sweater I used to wear over a crisp white cotton button down shirt. I really miss those pants. If I wore jeans, I would probably have a pair or two of versatile gray for sure.

11. Sally
    December 29, 2017 / 8:33 am

On my list for things to replace…..

12. December 29, 2017 / 8:58 am

I saw grey denim all over Paris when we were there in October – and NOBODY seemed to be wearing distressed jeans! (thank heavens for that – what a stupid trend that was…)

You’re channeling your inner French woman again!

hugs,
    Janice

13. Angela
    December 29, 2017 / 11:05 am

Just the right in between shade, though I love my dove grey skinny pants with white or navy tops. I too dislike distressed jeans; feel they look scruffy.

14. December 29, 2017 / 11:26 am

Grey denim is my favourite! You inspired me. I could put my Britanny shirt with my grey denim and my burgundy utility jacket. I haven’t tried that combination.

15. Kay
    December 29, 2017 / 5:25 pm

I love the photo on the right with the burgundy-striped shirt, but I didn’t see it among your links. Who makes the jeans, and who makes the shirt?

December 29, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Hi Kay, both the jeans and shirt are from M.i.h here: jeans | shirt

16. Ellen
    December 30, 2017 / 6:13 am

I have worn grey jeans frequently, for several years. My latest pair, and my favorite jeans style at the moment, is a pull-on style from Liverpool Jeans (many of us of a certain age prefer this style, and I never tuck anything in anyway) that are very skinny, not quite as dark as charcoal, and have enough stretch to comfortably wear on a 12 hour plane ride and still not look baggy in the rear. (I also have them in traditional blue). I took them to Provence last fall, and felt right at home.

17. Kim
    December 31, 2017 / 9:31 am

Your jacket! <3! I need to replace mine, thanks for the reminder and Happy New Year!

18. December 31, 2017 / 12:18 pm

I’ve been buying grey jeans for about four years and I love them. I believe I have four pair and will be buying more grey in the future. All shades of grey go with the jeans as well as all other colors.

19. December 31, 2017 / 6:31 pm

I love grey jeans! I have an older pair of Eileen Fisher skinnies which are now kind of boyfriend-like on me and a new pair with an uneven frayed hem I bought this fall. I think I’d rather have grey than black any day.

20. January 1, 2018 / 5:21 am

You look so young in this picture! Great footwear by the way.
    Greetje