Outfit: A Little Daytime Glam

Susan B. wears a leopard coat, gold Gucci Marmont loafers and French Kande jewelry. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Casual Glamour For An Afternoon Outing

Earlier this year, I decided that my wardrobe stable needed a few more Show Ponies. I’ve found some winners since then, and this leopard topper is definitely one of them. It’s such an easy way to add oomph to an outfit, and I find I reach for it often. I wanted to go a little glam for the Holiday Sample Sale at the French Kande studio yesterday, so I added some sparkly jewelry and metallic shoes.

topper | top (similar) | necklace (c/o) | necklace (c/o) | ring | jeans (similar) | shoes

The jeans and top are the workhorses here. I can build a variety of outfits with these as my base.

Detail: French Kande necklaces with Swarovski crystals. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

I’d selected these two necklaces (here and here, both gifted) with the intention of layering them. Above, I’ve added an extender to the longer necklace because I like how lengths work together better. The photo’s a little blurry, but both pieces have embedded Swarovski crystals that really catch the light.

Casual glamour: gold Gucci Marmont loafers. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

These shoes are Show Ponies for sure, but they’re also very comfortable. I’ve worn them for hours on my feet with no complaints.

It was so lovely to meet some of you at the French Kande sample sales both yesterday and in October!

I’m Honored…

SH award winner MEDIUM (1)

I was floored and delighted to learn that I’d been selected as one of the Best Senior Fashion Blogs by Senior Homes! (Senior Homes is a free resource for Seniors looking for housing or care for a loved one or themselves.) And it was so nice to see many of my blogger friends had been chosen as well. Thank you very much!!

1. Nancy
    December 19, 2017 / 3:27 am

I would love to find a knee length, size XL leopard coat that isn’t too “puffy” and not more than $300.00 …tried the first JCrew one this fall (they have had 2 styles…the second was slim cut so knew that also would not work) and I looked like a big bear in it. Help please…links to any that meet this requirement would be appreciated..

2. Roseanne
    December 19, 2017 / 4:10 am

Thank you for turning us on to French Kande! A few months ago I bought one of their necklaces similar to the longer one you are wearing in this post. Love it! I am amazed at how one piece can finish an outfit. I own several somewhat delicate necklaces that my husband gave me. The FK necklace forms the perfect “v” frame for the finer, shorter pieces.

December 20, 2017 / 5:37 am

Hi Roseanne, that’s wonderful to hear, so glad you like it!

3. Lisa
    December 19, 2017 / 5:20 am

I have that same necklace, but I swapped in the Bles d’or medallion. I love French Kande, so envious you got to go to their sample sale!

December 20, 2017 / 5:37 am

Thanks, Lisa! Those sample sales really are like walking into a treasure trove.

4. elizaduckie
    December 19, 2017 / 6:39 am

Thanks for blogging and congratulations on your well deserved award!!

Usually I like your classic clean styling. I kept staring at this outfit trying to figure out what was bothering me. The proportions of the coat seemed ‘off’. There just wasn’t enough leg below the hem, it seems to overwhelm you at this length. I also decided that the cut off look and length of the jeans were just too casual (and too light a color) to carry off the coat, jewelry and gold shoes. The existing length of the coat needs a higher heel. Without shortening the coat (my first choice for more flexibility in what you wear it with) pair the coat, top, and jewelry with a longer dark wash jean and a higher heel and you’d truly have a daytime glam winner.

• Mary Alice
      December 19, 2017 / 9:06 am

I respectfully disagree. The whole point of a modern daytime look is to mix up the casual with more dressy pieces. the light, cropped jeans with released hems and low heels keep the look grounded. A darker wash jean and high heel would, in my opinion, age the look and take away that effortless effect.

December 20, 2017 / 5:33 am

Thanks Mary Alice. I agree with this assessment, and it captures what I was aiming for.

• Catherine
      December 19, 2017 / 9:37 am

I love each of the pieces worn, but, I agree that something feels off to me, too. I think Susan could wear the lighter colored jean with a darker, flatter shoe (exposing a bit more skin), or the existing Gucci gold shoe with a black pant, all while keeping the rest of the outfit as worn. It is the combo of jean / shoe that isn’t working for me with what’s going on on top. However, I am obsessed with those shoes, and would wear them every chance I had!

December 20, 2017 / 5:30 am

Thanks for the feedback, Catherine!

December 20, 2017 / 5:36 am

Thanks for the feedback, elizaduckie. I may actually get the coat shortened just an inch or two. But I do like it with lighter wash jeans, which I think keeps it from being too visually heavy for daytime.

5. stephanie
    December 19, 2017 / 6:55 am

I have warmed ever so slightly to leopard print, but in moderation. A scarf or purse could be a striking accent in leopard but a long coat is just way too much. The gold loafers, the chains, the leopard … all together and I think we move into pimp territory.

December 20, 2017 / 5:34 am

Darn, I should have kept that faux fur fedora then. 😉

• Lisa
      December 21, 2017 / 5:12 am

I respectively disagree – I have the long leopard coat by Malene Birger that was so popular a few years ago and it is a staple in my winter wardrobe. I get positive comments on it everywhere I go! And it’s warm, which is a bonus here in chilly Philadelphia.

6. Lisa
    December 19, 2017 / 8:01 am

I think you look fabulous. I dress very conservatively but I definitely consider leopard print to be a neutral.

December 20, 2017 / 5:33 am

Thanks very much, Lisa!

7. Cindy Lou
    December 19, 2017 / 9:13 am

Love your outfit. After having met you at the October French Kande sale you can definitely carry off the coat and shoes and jeans combo. Your hair, make up and demeanor are elegant and allow you to combine them with the show ponies. And hey, we live in LA where style is very eclectic!

December 20, 2017 / 5:31 am

Thanks very much, Cindy Lou! It was such a pleasure meeting you. Yes, we are eclectic here. 😉

8. December 19, 2017 / 9:41 am

That cost is a stunner. You’re so fortunate to live close enough to go to these FK events! I think I’d go broke!! I’m loving all their Swarovski crystals. Thanks for sharing the extender! Just what I need.

• Jennifer Connolly
      December 19, 2017 / 9:42 am

Coat! Damn spell check;)

December 20, 2017 / 5:30 am

Thanks Jennifer! I’m so glad I took the plunge on this coat.

9. Kay
    December 19, 2017 / 10:38 am

Congratulations on the award which is richly deserved. (How’s the kitchen?)

December 20, 2017 / 5:29 am

Thanks, Kay! The kitchen (and bathroom) are coming along. Drywall is going up in the kitchen. Bathroom is still completely torn apart as new plumbing going in. There’s not much to show yet. I’m told that once this stage is done, the rest will go pretty quickly. Fingers crossed!!

10. Judith
    December 19, 2017 / 10:40 am

Congratulations on your well deserved recognition. You are ALWAYS an inspiration.

December 20, 2017 / 5:27 am

Thanks so much, Judith!

11. Marybeth
    December 19, 2017 / 4:42 pm

Congratulations, Susan! I love your style & the thought u put into it! Your ideas r good for me to think about too… & I love animal print! xoxo

December 20, 2017 / 5:26 am

Thank you, Marybeth!

December 20, 2017 / 5:26 am

That’s a fun print!

12. Mary Fisher
    December 19, 2017 / 10:07 pm

Dear Susan: Congratulations on the well-deserved award. So appreciate your blog and your good ideas concerning fashion. A little bright spot in my day is your blog always! Happy Holidays to all!

December 20, 2017 / 5:25 am

Thanks very much, Mary!

December 20, 2017 / 5:44 am

Thanks Alyson! Your concept of Casual Glamour has been inspiring and helpful.

13. December 20, 2017 / 6:36 am

Congratulations on the award! Well deserved. I credit your blog with upgrading my look the past few years. I’m 53 and haven’t looked or felt so fashionable in many years. I love that you are able to inspire me, even though I can’t afford a lot of the pieces you wear. I very much appreciate your links to similar pieces. Thank you!

December 20, 2017 / 7:06 am

Thank you very much, MaryAnn! I’m so glad you find it helpful.

14. December 20, 2017 / 8:43 am

Another great look. You make such effortless combinations. Love all the pieces together and separately. I’m waiting for cooler weather here in Los Angeles.

December 20, 2017 / 9:13 am

Thanks so much, Sandra! It’s definitely cooled down in the last couple of days. But still warm for this time of year.

15. Kristi
    December 20, 2017 / 10:46 am

You look beautiful, Susan – love that coat on you. Don’t love the shoes because they make me think of a witch (in this case, a sparkly one) – but that’s just me. You love them and that’s all that matters.

December 20, 2017 / 10:51 am

Thanks, Kristi!

16. December 20, 2017 / 11:41 am

I really love your show ponies. And the word oomph .
    Greetje

December 20, 2017 / 1:07 pm

Thanks, Greetje!

17. Sue
    January 7, 2018 / 6:32 am

What is the best jeans fit for older women I am small, size 10 with short legs

January 7, 2018 / 7:07 am

Hi Sue, it really depends on your shape and preferred silhouette. My suggestion would be to just try things on until you find a fit you like that works with your wardrobe. I think it’s hard to go wrong with a slim straight leg jean.