Sparkle Plenty

Alexis Bittar lucite crystal earrings. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

Sparkle For The Holidays, And Beyond

Sometimes it’s the little things…like how a pair of sparkly earrings lights up the face, and adds a festive touch to any outfit. And if you’re bundled up against the winter chill, they may be your most visible jewelry.

I wear earrings every day, and don’t feel completely dressed without them. I’ve always loved a dangly style, but over time I’ve found I can no longer wear heavy earrings comfortably. Above, those lucite and crystal earrings are lightweight, and quite brilliant. I always get compliments when I wear them.

I’ve never been a Diamond Studs kind of gal, and I have a track record of losing one earring from a pair. So I tend to steer clear of fine gems, at least for my ears. But if I were to go for Real Diamonds, they’d be something like these…

Diamond drop earrings on gold wires. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

A little rough around the edges. My kind of diamond earrings. ✨✨

Brass and crystal chandelier earrings from French Kande. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s a slightly irreverent take on a chandelier earring that also isn’t heavy.

hoop earrings with Labradorite stones. Details at une femme d'un certain age

Sparkle on the subtle side: these hoop earrings with Labradorite stones will dress up or down.

J.Crew double circle earrings. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

If you prefer posts to wires, here’s a double hoop style with a sleek, modern look

Swarovski crystal clip earrings. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

Even clip earrings get in on the fun. These have a funky vintage vibe.

When it comes to sparkly earrings, don’t be afraid to go a bit Over The Top. Especially if the rest of your outfit is more simple or refined, “a little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika,” to quote Diana Vreeland.

Do you wear earrings regularly? What’s your preferred style?

Just a note for those of you in Southern California, French Kande will be having another sample sale! It’s next Monday, December 18, at their studio in El Segundo. I plan to stop by myself and check out the goodies!

French Kande holiday sale. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

More Sparkly Earrings

1. PatriciaB
    December 13, 2017 / 5:38 am

We have a marvelous jeweler in town who carries very nice fashion jewelry as well as fine jewelry. It’s a tiny, owner-run shop but he curates his offerings so well. Recently, I bought a pair of white/silver druzy drop earrings that are lightweight and sparkle like crazy. Your readers might want to check out small jewelers in their hometowns…you might find a gem (pun intended) like I did.

That said…I sure wish I lived near French Kande, or that they offered some of their retiring or samples online. Have fun at the sale, Sue.

2. December 13, 2017 / 8:45 am

I wish I lived closer and could go to the French Kande event. I’d be like a kid in a candy store there.

• PatriciaB
      December 13, 2017 / 2:56 pm

You mean…like a kid in a Kande store…right? (Couldn’t resist.)

3. Nancy Klein
    December 13, 2017 / 9:06 am

O Susan, how I enjoy starting the day with your blog, although we could not be more different….studs diamond and pearl, black dresses, like those of my style icon, an old Russian princess (described in Robert and Suzanne Massie’s wonderful book Journey, about their son’s hemophilia). I do like to see more colorful styles, however, although resist them despite encouragement from my 92 year old friend who dresses with such flair and color.

4. Cathy D
    December 13, 2017 / 9:32 am

I’m a small diamond studs girl, but will occasionally switch to pearl studs. For some reason I can’t stand the feel of long earrings moving when I turn my head. Now that I’m wearing a pixie haircut I’ve been trying to find some larger earrings, but without success. Somehow they just don’t feel like me.

Susan, thanks for putting so much effort into your blog. I enjoy reading it.

5. Angela
    December 13, 2017 / 9:59 am

Always wearing lippy and earrings. When we first got together, my husband chuckled and lovingly teased me but now knows it’s who I am. Just last week I bought some longer, lightweight, dangly earrings which are perfect for hot summer days in NZ when other jewellery feels a burden in the humidity. My birthday is imminent so maybe a trip to the nearest Swarovski store is in order.

6. December 13, 2017 / 11:17 am

It is a good thing I don’t live in LA. I might not have resisted French Kande on December 18 haha. Now I can remain a good girl. Not easy trying to beat an addiction.
    Greetje

7. December 13, 2017 / 3:18 pm

I feel naked without earrings! When my hair was short, I often wore studs, but now that it’s longer and my ears are partially hidden, I tend to wear dangly earrings. I’m careful not to wear heavy ones though.

8. Ainsivalavie
    December 13, 2017 / 9:44 pm

I find that with my longer hair studs just disappear and add nothing to my look. I recently had a pair of diamond and sapphire studs made into dangles by my jeweller. Like you I have a collection of ‘single’ earrings that have lost their partners…if they are real gold you can sell them to a gold trader, better than having them hang around the jewellery box.

9. December 14, 2017 / 9:56 am

Ah, the lost earring syndrome. The good news is they don’t always have to match.
    I lost a pearl/diamond earring so now I pair the single with either a pearl or a diamond in the other ear.