Shopping My Closet

Casual outfit with IRO fringe jacket, floral top, jeans and Brahmin bag. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The Little Black Jacket Rides Again

sunglasses | jacket | top (similar) | necklace | ring | bag | jeans (similar) | shoes (similar)

Once we wrap up our home renovation project, I need to tackle my closet, which hasn’t had a good clearing out in a couple of years. The last couple of times I did a wardrobe purge, I was pretty ruthless. It made for a nice open and uncluttered closet, but over time I found myself regretting some of the “culls.” So I’ve been going through some items I may not have been wearing as often, and trying different combinations to see what sticks. I really liked this one!

This Little Black Jacket was included in one of my Favorite Outfits of 2017. It’s a mild weather piece, being unlined. And it’s fitted, so works best with a light layer underneath. I’ve always loved the mix of a bouclé jacket and jeans.

Outfit detail: French Kande necklace with silk floral blouse. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

This longer French Kande necklace is from an earlier collection, and still one of my favorites.

Detail: Brahmin croc-embossed bag in Pecan and French Kande ring. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

I’ve had this Brahmin bag for a while, but since making the switch to primarily cross-body bags, I hadn’t used it. Seeing my friend Karen’s bag reminded me of how good they look and how light they are. I pulled mine out and have been using it intermittently since her visit. There’s also a longer strap that can be used to wear cross-body. The sunglasses I’m wearing are the ones I purchased last fall in Paris with Greetje, and finally had my prescription lenses added.

Have you rediscovered any wardrobe treasures hiding in your closet?

Little Black Jackets

MICHAEL Michael Kors | Eileen Fisher | Vince Camuto / (Plus) | Rebecca Taylor | Anne Klein

Floral Tops

Nanette Lepore | See by Chloé | Rebecca Taylor | Daniel Rainn (Plus) |
J.Crew | Anthropologie | Bobeau (Plus)

Linked up: #iwillwearwhatilike, Visible Monday

1. January 29, 2018 / 3:29 am

It’s such a good idea to make the effort to get out the pieces that haven’t gotten the attention they’re due.
    That long necklace looks great with the length of the floral top.

January 30, 2018 / 1:23 pm

Thanks, francetaste!

• Karen
        February 5, 2018 / 1:43 pm

I did t know you had that bag! I’m pretty sick of mine but it just. Will. Not. Die. So I use it and ignore it. Wish they did monograms but then it probably would t work on such a textured leather.

2. January 29, 2018 / 3:38 am

Susan, I like so much the tortoise/rusty rhythm that vibrates through the glasses, blouse and bag. Then there’s the blue rhythm bouncing from your blouse to jeans and even to shadows in the bag’s texture. I think your eye might have skilz your brain doesn’t even know about. 😉

January 30, 2018 / 1:22 pm

Thank you, Ann! I thought the browns would soften the look a bit and was pleased with how the outfit came together.

3. Patricia
    January 29, 2018 / 4:27 am

Sigh…how I long for green grass and open toe shoes! Spring will eventually come to the upper midwest. You look great in this outfit. It’s slightly more fitted than what you usually wear, and it’s very flattering.

January 30, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Thanks very much, Patricia. I almost feel a little guilty, our weather’s been so mild.

4. January 29, 2018 / 4:59 am

Love this outfit – I am pretty certain I have dupes in my own closet and could pull a very similar look together. Thanks for the inspiration.

During one of my closet purges, I got rid of all the big, heavy purses of no particular pedigree…because I just wasn’t using them…I should have kept ONE! I do love this bag and may give myself a Ground Hog Day gift…why not!

January 30, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Thanks, Téa!

5. Kim
    January 29, 2018 / 5:11 am

This is one of my favorite outfits that you’ve put together. I’m a sucker for textures and this outfit has a lot of them. I would so love a cardigan of that style, I think I would wear it to death.

January 30, 2018 / 1:18 pm

Thank you, Kim! I’ve been trying to pay more attention to textures lately.

6. plutrell
    January 29, 2018 / 5:23 am

Love this look, Susan. What a great outfit to nod a little toward spring. I have wanted a Brahmin bag for a long time. I passed one up that I really wanted in a consignment shop and now I am kicking myself for doing that. I love their bags. This one is just the perfect shape. Nice look overall.

January 30, 2018 / 1:16 pm

Thanks very much, Pam! I find Brahmin bags are worth every penny (especally if you can find one on consignment). They hold up well and look great.

7. sequinist
    January 29, 2018 / 5:25 am

Ohhhh, I LOVE a boucle jacket, and with jeans, it is so chic and stylish. You’d better not purge that one! I’m a big fan of shopping in my own closet. There is just far too much new new NEW all the time. It is nice to wear ‘old’ things in new ways. I’ve just found a few preppy v-neck cable knit cashmere sweaters in my closet and they suddenly appeal to me again. xx

January 30, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Thank you, Lisa! I’m keeping this one. And your sweaters are probably better quality cashmere than most of what’s available now.

8. January 29, 2018 / 5:52 am

Wonderful closet-shopping, Susan! Yes, that black jacket looks like a keeper, as well as the elegant purse. Stay fabulous, xox

-Patti

January 30, 2018 / 1:14 pm

Thanks very much, Patti!

9. January 29, 2018 / 6:34 am

I echo all the comments. But id like to add that I love your clicker-in-the-hand photos. While the pictures taken by a professional are nice, the ones you take in the neighborhood are warm and highlight the outfit.

January 30, 2018 / 1:13 pm

Thanks very much, Jan! I worry that they get boring, but will keep this in mind.

10. Suz
    January 29, 2018 / 7:03 am

I agree with Ann, there are subtle colour matches which really pull the whole outfit together. I imagine that is even more obvious “Live”. Perfection!
    Suz from Vancouver

January 30, 2018 / 1:13 pm

Thanks, Suz! I didn’t notice all of the color tie-ins until I was looking at the photos, but am very pleased with how all of these pieces worked together.

11. Cindy Dodd
    January 29, 2018 / 9:24 am

Are there any up close pictures of your haircut on the blog. My hair is similar in texture and I can’t seem to get my hair stylist on the same page.

January 29, 2018 / 9:42 am

Hi Cindy, I didn’t take any head shots with this set, but will try to get some soon. I’ve also used a little bit of styling product (Got 2b Glued) to add some texture.

12. January 29, 2018 / 9:52 am

Great look. Love those glasses. So smart to shop for frames when traveling. Always something new and exciting.

January 30, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Thanks, Sandra!

January 30, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Thanks!

13. Annette Alcocer
    January 29, 2018 / 11:54 am

Love the handbag and the shorter style jacket on you!

January 30, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Thank you, Annette!

14. Kerry Roffe
    January 29, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I hate it when you’ve sent something to Wardrobe Room 101, then you regret it and want it back again. Happens to me all the time. Your jacket is fabulous though. You need to white list that one!

January 30, 2018 / 1:09 pm

Thank you, Kerry! Yes, I’m keeping this one and making an effort to wear it more often.

15. January 29, 2018 / 12:44 pm

Love it all. And the Brahmin is a classic! I found a black velvet peplum unlined jacket in my closet. It was BURIED in my clothes! Time for a purge for me too!

January 30, 2018 / 1:09 pm

Thank you very much, Marcia. Have fun wearing that jacket!

16. Mary Fisher
    January 29, 2018 / 2:45 pm

Sometimes I challenge myself to come up with a new outfit each week (for a while) that I have not worn before from the existing offerings. It has been enlightening and fun. At the same time, there are a few items that just never seem to be “workable”. That usually tells me what to move out. Mary F.

January 30, 2018 / 1:08 pm

Yes, I think that if something isn’t workable after several tries, it’s time to let it go.

17. Jo
    January 29, 2018 / 4:59 pm

This is perfection! The shorter fitted jacket is very flattering to your petite shape, and you look curvy and attractive. What a difference compared with the large boxy 80’s lightning bolt jacket! I do hope you returned that one!

January 30, 2018 / 1:07 pm

Thanks very much! I did keep the lightning bolt cardigan…I like it even though it’s not as conventionally flattering.

18. January 29, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Boucle and jeans, yes, they look fantastic together. Smart and casual at the same time. And yeees, I have been reworking my pieces. There is no more room for new stuff. I need to do a massive cull like you did. I’ve started, but it’s sure slow-going. Hahaha.

January 30, 2018 / 1:06 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I love the feeling of having cleared clutter out of my closet, probably why I tend to get too carried away!

19. Jeanne Gallion
    February 2, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Susan, I really like your shoes! Can you share the shoe brand name? Thank you!

February 3, 2018 / 4:25 am

Hi Jeanne, thanks very much. The ones I’m wearing here are also Eileen Fisher, from last spring.

20. February 9, 2018 / 8:04 am

I love your style! So refreshing and chic! Glad I was able to find your blog from “not dressed as a lamb”! 🙂