A Cure For The Common Cardigan

Style blogger Susan B. wears a Sandro cardigan with lightning bolt pattern from Spring collection. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

An Elevated Basic

earrings | sweater | top (similar) | necklace (similar) | bracelet

This year I’ve committed to only purchasing items that either a) fill a hole in my wardrobe (or replace well-worn pieces) or b) hit the Love It Immediately threshold AND add something unique to the mix. This lightning bolt print cardigan was a little bit of “a” and a whole lot of “b.” I’ve been wanting to replace a couple of my mid-length cardigans but everything I’d tried was either too oversized or just plain drab. This was an instant Yes!!! for me when I tried it on. It fits well, works with my style, and the pattern adds visual interest without overwhelming me. (It’s also available in navy with blue bolts.)

Detail: Sandro cardigan with lightning bolt pattern and French Kande necklace with vintage French Galois medallion. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A cool detail: a little bit of beading on each of the lightning bolts. The fabric is a soft black with just a little bit of fuzziness, which I think keeps the overall look from being too harsh. It’s mid-weight, perfect for our climate, and has a nice drape to it.

Detail: French Kande triple strand bracelet with vintage French medallion. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Both of these French Kande pieces are from prior collections, and I thought they coordinated very nicely with the sweater. The newest collection for Spring (Luxembourg) is online now.

What pieces in your wardrobe do you consider “Elevated Basics?”

More Cures For The Common Cardigan

1. plutrell
    January 23, 2018 / 5:30 am

This is an instant YES! I would wear this in heartbeat. Love it. Great selections, Susan.

2. Mari
    January 23, 2018 / 5:37 am

Nice addition, looks great!

3. SusanG
    January 23, 2018 / 6:17 am

Very cool cardigan! I wear solid-coloured sweaters, then jazz them up with one — or several! — statement making brooches. The pins don’t damage a thicker knit like they would a t-shirt or woven top.

4. Lisa
    January 23, 2018 / 6:50 am

Not a fan of patterns on cardigans. i did like the grey you featured. Was thinking of purchasing but it reminded me a bit to much of the late 80’s early 90’s cardigans I gravitated towards. Think womens Coogi! I usually choose a solid cardigan in black, hunter green or maroon and add a scarf, Burberry cashmere for winter and a vintage Hermes for the spring.

5. January 23, 2018 / 7:40 am

Ah, that reminds me of my grey with black stars cardigan, which is amazingly versatile, and almost as heavy as a jacket! It’s essential in my wardrobe; I practically lived in it when I was in Florida this last 2 weeks…
    love,
    Janice

6. amidprivilege
    January 23, 2018 / 8:16 am

A tad glam for my style (I mean, I was in 30-year old Doc Martens, 10-year old straight leg GAP jeans and a black Madewell utility jacket yesterday;)), and, unsurprisingly, perfect for you. I love the black and white, somehow the pattern is really good with that pop of contrast. Also, new haircut? Refresh of usual cut? In any case, looks great.

7. Joanna
    January 23, 2018 / 10:47 am

i like a slimmer cut sweater. Being tall & skinny, I get lost in boxy cuts.
    It is a fun look on you though.

8. Joanna
    January 23, 2018 / 10:49 am

I’m loving your glasses. Will you share the brand?

January 23, 2018 / 11:33 am

Hi Joanna, thanks! They’re from Oliver Peoples. This particular style is from a few years ago, but they probably have something similar in their current collection. It’s a take on a classic “Clubmaster” style.

• Joanna
        January 23, 2018 / 9:17 pm

Thank you. I see they have a couple of stores in the Vancouver area. I’ll have to check them out when next visiting family.

9. Kay
    January 23, 2018 / 1:44 pm

A few years ago, I realized that I wasn’t wearing the cardigan sweaters I had, and I wasn’t seeing any in the stores that really appealed to me. Part of it was my wool allergy, but I began to recognize that I had was accumulating lightweight jackets instead. This was not really a conscious thought, so I was collecting more jackets than I really needed. Since I also live in southern California, I know the need for sweaters is limited. I wholeheartedly agree with your decision to buy only what you need or really love. It has taken me a long time, but I think I’m finally getting to the point where I have stopped buying something “just because.”

10. Goneril
    January 23, 2018 / 3:25 pm

I love black white in our outfits. But these arrows point the wrong way: we are mostly looking for slimming lines, so this cardigan makes you look fat up top. Sorry, I vote no.

11. Jo
    January 23, 2018 / 7:19 pm

I also hate to be negative…really…but my first impression was this made you look very wide. The body and sleeves are wide and loose, thus you look like a square. I love seeing you in a shorter topper, but not this one. It also isn’t very versatile because the arrows are so distinctive it will be quickly remembered.

12. January 23, 2018 / 8:59 pm

Sweater coats down to you knees or beyond are more flattering, versatile, and warmer. Especially in cashmere.

13. TURNER
    January 24, 2018 / 2:34 am

What a cool sweater! And it looks great on you. I kind of wish it had buttons though. I’m a big fan of cardigans, in various forms for all seasons.

14. Lynne Savage
    January 24, 2018 / 10:46 am

Love that cardigan. Cardigans are good for Australia where you need layers even in winter.
    new item means one old to charity for me. Means i really need to love the new item.

15. January 24, 2018 / 6:38 pm

I’ve pretty much put a moratorium on purchasing new clothes for the next while, but your a) and b) would be excellent guidelines for me too. Love the cardigan on you and yearning for warmer days of spring here in Canada so that I can wear something like that outdoors again!

16. January 25, 2018 / 2:16 am

Yep this has been my philosophy for decades Susan, you won’t go back to shopping on a whim. I’ve ended up with a fabulous closet full of endless outfit combinations because everything works so well & lasts! It’s the way forward. P.S. Love a cardi me 😉

17. Kim
    January 25, 2018 / 4:45 am

I think this is a fun look! I can’t recall if you have white jeans–I know they are quite popular, now. Anyway, this would be fun with those, or red, or… :).

18. January 27, 2018 / 7:25 am

Since I’ve been following your blog – 3 years or so? my basics have become more “elevated” because I’m shopping for better quality and less quantity. Just returned from a 5 day, 4 night jaunt in a warm climate, my carry on was packed with coordinated and beautiful clothing I l.o.v.e., I looked chic and felt comfortable on the plane rides and only brought 4 pair of shoes! This sojourn included athletic wear, dinners out, fishing! A whirlwind of activity! Thanks, so very much for TEACHING me how to “get up and go” and look and feel incredible doing it!