Style Hunt: Espadrille Sandals

wedge espadrille sandal in metallic gold. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Getting A Head Start

We’ve actually had a couple of days this week that were warm enough to break out the open-toe shoes. It reminded me that I’ve had a pair of espadrille sandals on my wish list for some time. I seem to always wait until too late in the season to shop for them, only to find that the styles or colors I like best are sold out in my size. So I’m doing some retail reconnaissance now in hopes of a better selection.

Above, these are SO much cuter in person than they look online, especially in the soft gold metallic. I tried them on and they’re now on my short list. VERY comfortable!

Wedge espadrille in black with laces at ankles. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’m tempted to try these even with a closed toe. The styling is classic, and they’re from a brand (Vionic) known for good arch support and comfort. Reasonably priced too!

brown suede slingback espadrille. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Being short, I like the extra height that a little bit of a platform and wedge heel adds. But not too much, don’t want to risk a twisted ankle! This style is perfect, and the brown suede is a wear-with-everything neutral.

striped espadrille sandal with ankle tie. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

These are a bit flatter than I prefer, but oh those stripes!

blue suede espadrille sandal. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

These have more of an athleisure vibe, but the pretty blue color balances that out.

red suede espadrille sandal. Detals at une femme d'un certain age.This style is available in several colors, but I really like the red!

A few more styles that caught my eye…

toni pons | gentle souls | rag & bone | splendid | matt bernson

Do you have a favorite style or brand of espadrille sandals?

1. Barbara
    January 26, 2018 / 5:27 am

Remember Pappagallo….

2. Catherine
    January 26, 2018 / 6:13 am

That Eileen Fisher Willow espadrille in soft gold has been in my Nordstrom cart on and off for awhile! I just ordered it for an early spring trip to Austin. Alert for your readers!… If you are a size 10, Bloomingdales has these deeply discounted. Unfortunately, size 10 is the only size they appear to have left. I purchased a pair of Toni Pons in Barcelona a few years ago. I love them! Very comfortable. They are closer in style to the pair you have on top, though, and not the flat style.

3. Marla
    January 26, 2018 / 6:52 am

Thanks so much for finding the Vionic espadrille, since they come in wide! This classic espadrille style had been my go to for years but since developing arthritis in one foot I need a wide or OUCH and haven’t had a pair for a few years now. Just ordered them and my fingers are crossed…yippee!

4. amidprivilege
    January 26, 2018 / 7:11 am

Love those brown suede ones.

5. Janice
    January 26, 2018 / 7:28 am

I love the red ones. The way you wear so much black, they would really pop! I wear a size 10, so going to check out Bloomingdales!

6. Elizabeth
    January 26, 2018 / 7:32 am

Yes- buy your espadrilles in Spain if you’re lucky enough to be there! Like Catherine, I’ve gotten a few pair of Toni Pons in Barcelona and they’re half the price charged here at Nordstrom, Zappos and the like. Love the look in warm weather!

7. January 26, 2018 / 10:46 am

What pant length/style would you wear with the red ankle straps

January 26, 2018 / 10:53 am

I’d probably wear an ankle-length style, either slim, straight-leg or cuffed.

8. Nancy
    January 26, 2018 / 1:56 pm

Ahhh! Espadrilles – they are a dream – I live in Central NY and it has been in the low teens for weeks – I’m more worried about boots – thankfully they are all on sale. Espadrilles aren’t in the stores yet!
    I so enjoy your blog – I too am an E. Fisher fan.
    Enjoy the sunshine and greetings from the frozen North.
    Nancy

9. Heidi L.
    January 26, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Not sandals,per se,but really decent prices for espadrilles and all the colors and variety of platform heights.Good sale section too. I think I have 9 pairs so far. They last a ling time too. Mine survived 10 days of 8 hours per day walking around Paris this past summer. https://diegos.com/en/women/high-wedge-espadrilles.html

10. Weezie Fitzhugh
    January 26, 2018 / 4:54 pm

I love Soludos brand. Not much arch support but really cute styles. I prefer the ones with platform soles.

11. Shybiker
    January 26, 2018 / 6:06 pm

Beautiful sandals. I never realized how comfortable this style of sandal is until I tried ’em.

12. Janet
    January 27, 2018 / 4:18 am

These are great, thanks! Something to look forward to if we ever get out of parkas and boots in the north!

13. January 27, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Looking out the window at blowing snow and dreaming of wearing sandals again! Sadly, that’s still four or five months away here.

Elaine @ Following Augustine

14. Lyn
    January 28, 2018 / 11:17 am

Those Vionics are adorable. I need arch support after some foot problems, but Vionic has way too much for my flat feet! I have tried them (twice) and could not do it. They even made my knees hurt. I have learned the hard way to do what my feet tell me to keep them happy. We will tour chateaux country in April and I’ll be rocking a pair of black Ecco oxfords. C’est la vie!