Weekend In Wine Country (Sponsored)

What to wear wine tasting in California featuring items from Halsbrook. Details at une femme d'un certain age.Many thanks to Halsbrook for sponsoring this post. All ideas and opinions are my own.

Spring is a lovely time of year to visit California wine country. We took a road trip to Napa Valley last year for my 60th birthday, and are thinking about a weekend getaway this March for our anniversary. We’ll probably stay closer to home this time, perhaps heading to the Santa Ynez area.

What To Wear

Shown above: earrings | cardigan | top | bracelet | jeans | bag | boots

Even if you aren’t a wine enthusiast, a visit to wine country offers beautiful scenery, great food and often some top-notch spas. The atmosphere is easy-going and even the upscale places have a relaxed ambience. Think “elegant casual.” Be prepared for fluctuating temperatures, especially if you’re going wine touring. Those tasting and barrel rooms can be quite chilly.

Outfit idea for an evening out in California wine country. Details at une femme d'un certain age.For a nice dinner out, keep it simple and relaxed with a knit dress and artisanal accessories. I’ve included a wrap, as the temperature can drop once the sun goes down.

Above: wrap | cuff | dress | necklace | clutch | shoes

Halsbrook is a carefully curated online boutique featuring clothing and accessories that are classic, contemporary and sophisticated. From styling advice to their “on approval” program, the company strives to create a pleasant and personal online shopping experience. They also stock some European designers that I’ve not seen online anywhere else in the US.

And be sure to check out the great values at the Winter Sale, with discounts up to 75% off!

Do you have any weekend getaways planned for the spring?

1. Susan Braedley
    January 19, 2018 / 3:38 am

Hi there, love you’re blog, read daily, and enjoy the content. But I hate your pop up! I read daily thru feedly. If I click the x to get rid of your pop up the whole page closes. Not every blog pop up has this effect, so thought perhaps you’d like to know it is doing this.

January 19, 2018 / 5:54 am

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll look into it.

• Barb
      January 19, 2018 / 7:41 am

I have the same issue with Feedly and my iPad!

• Kathleen Ludgate
      January 19, 2018 / 8:25 am

Just letting you know, it might be your device settings as I don’t have pop ups.

2. January 19, 2018 / 4:40 am

Sounds lovely. And you’re spot-on about temperatures in the caves.

3. Kim
    January 19, 2018 / 5:55 am

Lovely picks, Susan. I’m getting the booties from the top outfit, I adore all of the warm tones in this ensemble. Thanks for introducing us to another high-end shop.

4. Mari
    January 19, 2018 / 6:03 am

Love the blue sweater jacket, perf3ctvfor a day that turns cool!

5. Lynn Blanchard
    January 19, 2018 / 6:19 am

Love the fringed cardigan, but it is only available in extra small. Do you know if this is a staple that will be restocked?

January 19, 2018 / 6:22 am

Lynn, I’m not certain about the inventory. I’m sure the folks at Halsbrook customer service would be happy to help.

6. Kathy Berry Huddleston
    January 19, 2018 / 6:27 am

Any suggestions for wardrobe for Palm Springs in February? Would it be more similar to Napa or more resort wear?

January 19, 2018 / 6:30 am

It should be pleasantly warm during the day and cool in the evenings. You’d probably want a more resort wardrobe. If you’re planning to take the tram to the top of the mountain, bring a warm jacket as it can still be quite cool at that altitude. February is a great time to visit!

7. January 19, 2018 / 7:03 am

I like the dress and see that it’s Lafayette 148, a brand I just rediscovered last fall. I always thought they were a bit stodgy, so either they’ve changed or I have. Ha. Also really like the pairing of the grey sweater with the brown boots. I’ve always loved that colour of leather.
    P.S. Fun to open up Bloglovin’ this morning and see both Femmes (A and Une) with a Halsbrook post. Now that’s what I call two solid recommendations:)

8. Sherry Hershenson
    January 19, 2018 / 8:17 am

I will be visiting son and wife, in Silverlake…LA for several days…any packing suggestions?….I am traveling from south Florida. Will be there in mid March. My feeling is jeans, tanks, cardigans, scarf and “cool” sneakers, short quilted jacket, if needed…..any other suggestions for Mom? What to wear for dinner in the area???
    I love seeing your photo shoots that focus on clothing you wear everyday. I am a loyal EF fan….most items that you wear, i also have purchased over the years. I attended a beautiful EF luncheon at Bloomingdales this week, featuring their resort collection…lots of color. I also would like you to know you continue to inspire me to try different combinations, especially accessorizing my black, grey, navy, and white color palate. Thanks you!

9. Kathleen Ludgate
    January 19, 2018 / 8:27 am

I especially love all the outfits today.

10. Ainsivalavie
    January 19, 2018 / 10:42 am

Love everything you have shown but THAT dress. It looks so heavy against the items shown with it. A bit nun like, not the look I am going for at a romantic bistro dinner;)

• Kay
      January 19, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Taken out of context, perhaps the dress does look somber, but those accessories will lighten things up. I would welcome long sleeves in the Napa Valley this time of year. It can get very chilly in wine country.

11. Joanne
    January 19, 2018 / 5:23 pm

I love the entire first outfit.
    Have the fires or rain destroyed any parts of Napa? We were thinking of visiting the area in March and wondered if there are places to avoid until life gets back to “normal”.

January 19, 2018 / 5:35 pm

It’s my understanding that most wineries and businesses are open. The fire damage in Napa was concentrated in the hills above most of the vineyards and wineries.

12. Jane2
    January 20, 2018 / 8:30 am

Your sponsored posts are great…they introduce me to companies/sites I would not have otherwise found. That dress is a classic, and would work here in the frozen north as well as in wine country….could be accessorized for most occasions/seasons.

13. Peggy
    January 21, 2018 / 6:01 am

I have to say what a pleasure it has been to find your blog. I especially like that you provide examples in plus sizes which rarely happens. The styles are very appropriate for what I like. I look forward to seeing every post. Thanks,

January 21, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Thanks very much, Peggy!

14. January 21, 2018 / 1:51 pm

You’re spot on about the temperatures in wine caves Susan. Lovely outfits. BTW, your new font is awesome

January 21, 2018 / 1:52 pm

Thanks, Jennifer!

15. Lynn
    January 24, 2018 / 8:53 am

Packing is always a challenge for me, even for a weekend, and especially with weather that is variable. So, I love the idea of showing whole outfits for a weekend getaway. Ii would be great to see more Weekend in …posts.
    Thanks!