Après-ski In Style

Casual look for après-ski activities. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Meet For Hot Cocoa (Or A Hot Toddy) At The Firepit…

I’ll admit, when I began accompanying le Monsieur and his family on their annual ski vacation some twenty-five years ago, I was a little intimidated. First, I’d never skied. And I was also self-conscious about my lack of what I imagined would be appropriate clothing for a posh ski resort.

Above: cap | sweater (similar) | pants | jacket | boots | gloves

I’ve since learned to ski well enough to enjoy myself on the easy runs, and with regard to resort style…pffft. It’s all about warmth and comfort. Sure, there are those people who look like they just stepped out of the Gorsuch catalog, but most venues are casual, and you see as much Patagonia and North Face as Moncler. For people like us who live in a warm climate and only ski every year or two, it doesn’t make sense spend a lot on ski and cold-weather wear.

But my (very) old favorite après-ski sweater was nowhere to be found when we pulled the boxes of ski clothes down from the attic last weekend, so I’ve treated myself to something new. (Ok, so I’m not immune to a little Alpine Charm. Or kitsch.) And I also did pick up a pair of warmer tech gloves.

Do you ski? What’s your favorite ski destination?

More Après-ski Style (Whether You Ski Or Not…)

Dale of Norway | Obermeyer | Billabong | Smartwool | Dale of Norway |
Loft | Ralph Lauren | Vineyard Vines | Chaps (plus)

1. Susan Simmons
    February 1, 2018 / 5:39 am

Lake Tahoe/USA and Innsbruck/Europe (the rope lifts are challenging!)

February 1, 2018 / 6:57 am

Those rope tows make my palms sweat just thinking about them! I remember seeing those at Tahoe when I was a kid.

• February 1, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Oh, Lord! Years ago, the rope tows at Mammoth made me feel like that! When I eventually was able to get on and off an actual ski lift without having the operator stop the machinery I felt like I was ready for black diamonds! New-skier shame is so PUBLIC!

• February 2, 2018 / 10:16 am

They have “magic carpets” now that have replaced those dreaded ropes. Easy to get on and off.

2. February 1, 2018 / 7:39 am

I absolutely love skiing! I’d kit myself out in everything from Perfect Moment if I could afford it. I love the whole retro vibe ski look, both on the slopes & apres. Any time you fancy doing more outfit inspo I’m there 😉

3. Becky Johns
    February 1, 2018 / 8:29 am

I live in Utah, just next door…our weather has been unseasonably warm, it is the warmest winter on record, often in the fifities and sixties, so check the forecast and maybe take a few things that are not intended for 30 degrees and colder which is the normal temperature. Especially if it is sunny, it gets warm on the slopes and also toowarm inside for thick sweaters.

4. Kelly
    February 1, 2018 / 12:22 pm

We just did a trip to Lake Louise & Banff, Canada and it was delightful!! They’ve had a fantastic snowy season so far, and there was an ice carving festival at Lake Louise and a snow carving festival in Banff while we were there. Our hotel in Banff had a fireplace in the lobby AND our room. It was delightful. We only skied one day (It’s been a long time since I lived in Utah and skied regularly!) I would absolutely recommend it as a winter destination!!!

• February 1, 2018 / 1:51 pm

I adore the Banff Springs Hotel. Years ago, I vacationed there alone during an American Thanksgiving week — the place was nearly deserted. I cross-country skied every morning, and it was dark until almost 9 o’clock. It was like being in Snow Heaven!

5. February 1, 2018 / 5:48 pm

Loved Sun Valley Idaho. Great skiing. Lots of Patagonia. After my second trip to the emergency room I stopped. I done enough damage. I was a pretty aggressive skier. That goodness I always had accidents on Black Diamond Runs. Didn’t stop me. Nope, I just didn’t want the third time to be it.

6. sequinist
    February 2, 2018 / 2:17 am

OH, I hear you, Susan. I married into a ski-crazy family as well (they are Austrian, so they practically ski out of the womb). I want every single thing in that Gorsuch catalog, but I’m not a good enough skier to pull it off! “All the gear and no idea” as they say here.

I’m going to have a long lingering look at some of those sweaters though… those I can always use. I’m off to Austria to go skiing in two weeks, so this is a timely post! xx

7. Susan
    February 2, 2018 / 4:33 am

I went skiing once and that was quite enough. Skiing is probably a gross exaggeration, as I just barely managed to stand.

8. Lynn Benito-Gauss
    February 2, 2018 / 7:20 am

Love skiing! We usually ski in Utah each year. Also love Lake Tahoe and Solden, Austria,