Casual Vendredi: Seeing Red

Casual outfit with red boots and a cherry print sweater, adding some spring touches to a cool weather look. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Outfits with red boots have been popping up all over my Pinterest feed, and I love the energy they add to an otherwise neutral look.

Above: earrings | lippie* | bracelet | boots | sweater | jeans | coat | bag

A Mood Booster

Adding something red to an outfit always lifts my mood. Usually I stick to red accessories…shoes, a bag, lipstick. *Lately I’ve been wearing Makeover Workshop liner in Maraschino with Chantecaille Lip Chic in Amaryllis. It’s a nice combination that’s bright, but not too overpowering.

Fashion Weeks And Street Style

Do you follow Fashion Week(s) or check out any of the designer runway recaps? I used to pay much more attention, but now check in only selectively. I was utterly delighted to see this photo of Queen Elizabeth…

Queen Elizabeth and Anna Wintour at London Fashion week.

who seems to be having a marvelous time. She’s even coaxed a smile out of Anna Wintour!

Did you catch this article in The Cut about the lack of diversity in street style images? I agree 100%, though some of us have been kvetching about this for years (and it’s why many of us began blogging). I remember when “street style” actually used to include everyday folks wearing their own clothes as well as fashion influencers and insiders.

At Home…

The last few bits of finish work on the interior part of our home renovation project are FINALLY being addressed this week. I spent several hours yesterday putting the kitchen back together (still plenty more to do). I’ll be able to take “after” photos very soon to share with you!

Accent On Red

Gucci | J.Crew | L’Amour des Pieds | Everlane | Eileen Fisher | Diana Vreeland | IDLFxUniqlo

How do you like to wear red?

Bon weekend!

1. February 23, 2018 / 4:13 am

The queen rocks.
    Anna Wintour is so savvy to wear full skirts to such events. The poor queen has tried to pull her skirt over her knees and to squeeze the lining between her legs not to end up with an embarrassing view. But Anna’s lets her sit comfortably and even shift without revealing anything.

2. Su
    February 23, 2018 / 5:02 am

Yes! Street style should still be people who are not fashion professionals, with a wonderful sense of individual style, not an extension of the runway. In our grey Winter I’m sometimes complimented for looking cheerful with a few touches of red… those seas of black on people going to work are overwhelming.

3. February 23, 2018 / 6:17 am

I think our Queen is a great role model. She engages with the modern world and looks as though she is having fun as well

• February 23, 2018 / 10:04 am

I agree! Your Queen rocks as a national role model. Sure do wish we had someone like that.

• February 23, 2018 / 1:57 pm

Whatever one may think of the monarchy as an institution, the Queen plays an important role throughout the Commonwealth, not just the UK.

I find that Her Majesty seems to be having far more fun in recent years, in her great age. But then, people of all classes often get on better with their grandchildren than their children.

4. Meg
    February 23, 2018 / 6:17 am

Love the idea of a bright , happy lip in the spring! Is that Chantecaille color sheer? I don’t know about your other readers, but I am so tired of finding only matte lip colors in all the editorials in magazines. Give me a nice moist, creamy lip. Matte looks so … dead.

February 23, 2018 / 7:09 am

Hi Meg, it’s semi-sheer, semi-glossy and SUPER moisturizing. I find it lasts much longer than similar formulas from other brands.

5. Laurel
    February 23, 2018 / 7:47 am

Yes, I loved that photo of the Queen! She is such an amazing woman, and so vibrant at 91!

While shopping in Rome in November, I bought a red puffer coat (that I have worn to death already and LOVE) and a pair of little red boots. They’re both very uplifting as the dark season drags on here in the Midwest. 🙂

6. Catherine
    February 23, 2018 / 9:19 am

I have always been a fan of Chantecaille products. I don’t think I’ve ever used anything from that line that I’ve been disappointed in… I’m having a hard time getting on board with the red shoe / boot thing. I think you need to be careful about the undertones when pulling together the rest of your outfit. I’m going to sit this one out for now, but I do like the shape of the booties you’ve featured.

7. Dianne Naftzger
    February 23, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Loved to see the Queen at Fashion week, have seen a few comments here in the Australia press re Anna Wintour sitting next to her Majesty wearing sunglasses, apparently a no no.

• Susan
      February 24, 2018 / 2:14 am

Anna Wintour is English, so she should know that it was poor form to keep her sunglasses on. I am looking forward to seeing photos of your new kitchen.

8. Sophia
    February 24, 2018 / 7:56 am

I just purchased a dress and 2 tops in true red from JJill and wear them with burgundy or gray right now during winter. Love my red lipsticks that brighten my silvering short hair. All women can wear a certain red based on skin tone but don’t! It projects a confident statement even when you dont feel it. The perfect coat of armour in a tube!

9. Linda
    February 25, 2018 / 4:42 pm

I wear a red lip on occasion. It’s hard to veer from nude. But I absolutely love true red in tops and especially jewelry, bags and shoes. Red enamel is gorgeous.

10. Lisa
    February 28, 2018 / 2:46 pm

I’m so happy to read this. I’vebalways wanted to try a red lip but wasn’t comfortable. I’m traveling now and for the past week I’ve been donning a true red lip. I’m hoping that when I head home in a couple of days I’ll be comfortable enough to continue!