Denim Jackets For The Rest Of Us…

Denim single-breasted trench coat from J.Crew. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’m starting to think ahead toward transitional season dressing. In Southern California, Spring can span late February through June, with temperatures fluctuating between the low-60’s to high-80’s F. Lightweight layers are key.

Denim dressing continues to be a strong trend for Spring. While a classic/western denim jacket is a versatile option, I don’t like how they look on me. I’ve been happy to see several iterations of longer, less boxy denim jackets showing up in Spring collections.

Updated Denim Jackets

Above: a denim trench from J.Crew.

Madewell denim duster. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Madewell has a version too; it looks a little longer and less structured.

I've been wearing this Eileen Fisher denim dress open as a duster on mild days. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’ve been wearing this denim dress (Petite / Plus) open as a duster on mild days, and it’s lightweight enough to be comfortable worn as a dress when it’s warmer. (The dress comes with a self-belt.) The fabric blend is lighter than denim with a high cotton percentage, so it might be more workable for a travel wardrobe.

Denim duster jacket from Gap. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This one from Gap gives a nod to the traditional denim jacket, but with a more feminine shape and duster length. (Currently 20% off, and available in Tall and Petite as well.)

BlankNYC denim parka with faux fur trim. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

In a slightly different vein, here’s a denim anorak with faux-fur trim that’s currently 55% off.

denim peplum jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

And if you prefer a shorter jacket, but with a more feminine silhouette, this peplum jacket might be worth a look.

Plus hooded denim jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s a cute hooded denim jacket in Plus.

Don’t be afraid to double up your denim! If you want to avoid the “denim tuxedo” look, mix up your washes.

Does a denim jacket work in your wardrobe?

1. Joan
    February 12, 2018 / 4:29 am

Denim is a major staple in my wardrobe! This year Chico’s has an elongated denim jacket with a very faint hint of animal print at the cuffs and collar. A fabulous piece to add to a wardrobe of blacks, whites, and grays for this time of year. Will work as a primary transitional piece as we head into Spring here in the northeast.

2. Kim
    February 12, 2018 / 8:05 am

This post is quite timely, Susan. I recently gave my traditional denim jacket to my 19 y.o. daughter, because every time I put it on, I took it off again, yet kept it in my closet. I’ve found that’s it’s a little challenging to shop for these on line, as fit and styling can differ. I have my eye on an elongated one at Free People, but the wash is lighter than I generally prefer. I recently wore denim on denim and it was successful. I wish I could figure out how to load an image here!

3. Suz
    February 12, 2018 / 8:48 am

Do you wear your denim duster with jeans?
    I have a tencel denim shirt that I love but find it doesn’t look “right” to me with jeans. Usually I pair it with grey, black, or white jeans.

February 12, 2018 / 9:17 am

I have worn mine with jeans, yes. I’ll be posting an outfit with the duster later this week.

• Suz
        February 12, 2018 / 4:18 pm

Looking forward to it! Suz from Vancouver

4. MJ
    February 12, 2018 / 9:38 am

I wouldn’t have thought that I’d wear a denim jacket, even though I practically live in jeans, but the peplum jacket is intriguing. Thanks for finding it!

5. February 12, 2018 / 10:25 am

I love denim jackets! I just ordered a long one to wear open. Can’t wsit to get it. Love all these options.

6. prema3
    February 12, 2018 / 10:26 am

I found the Eileen Fisher espadrilles that you wrote about last week (?) for under $100 at 6pm.com. So stoked. They were out of the gold (of course), but I got a lovely pale flesh color. They look super sexy and feel great. I can hardly wait for spring! I totally love your blog.

7. Joanna
    February 12, 2018 / 1:03 pm

I realize a denim jacket is not for everyone but I love a denim jacket. For myself, it has to have some feminine details. The traditional jacket feels wrong on me. I have one that is collarless, another has rounded corners on the collar and placket, and yet another has a tucked in waist. I’m loving the peplum one shown above. Would it be wrong to buy another?
    I love that you give examples for differing tastes and figures.

8. Ainsivalavie
    February 13, 2018 / 7:20 am

Being 5′ tall most denim jackets are a challenge as even the petite hit me at the widest point:( I noticed a lot of women wearing them with maxi dresses in the summer and that proportion looks great).. A friend suggested I take mine to a tailor to have a few inches taken off so they hit the waist not the hip. Wow what a difference! When I wear them with pants always have a longer top underneath to lengthen the line. Being Canadian and having endured jokes about the Canadian tuxedo I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing jeans or a denim skirt with a denim jacket, c’est trop! It takes itself too seriously! For me a jean jacket is the low in a high low look or insouciant style.. To that end I have no problem putting a 500.00 dress in its place with a denim jacket topper.

• February 16, 2018 / 7:05 am

It depends on your proportions. I’m perhaps an inch talller… taller? … than you, but I’m long-waisted. They fit me fine. Now jeans… sometimes I even have to have petites re-hemmed. Reitmans (not high-end, but I find their denims acceptable quality) carry “ultra-petites”. They also have “longs”.

9. February 14, 2018 / 1:27 am

One of the great joys of moving away from a more corporate job is being able to wear denim as much as I like. I’m also really pleased that indigo denim has come back around, at least here in the UK. That Eileen Fisher dress is very tempting but it is an outrageous price, hoping it survives to the sales!

10. February 16, 2018 / 7:01 am

I do have two fairly classic black denim jackets that fit well, and wear them a lot. Black can pass in some workplaces (me, working at conferences) where blue denim doesn’t. I’d love to find some other colours but all I see are pastels and I hate pastels. I’d want forest green or a bright burgundy.

I love that dress, its shape and the dark wash, but find it far too pricy for a denim item.

Yeah, the Canadian tuxedo. That goes along with a living-room table made of beer crates. Those guys are called hosers in English and “colons” in French.