Doubling Down

Double denim look with boyfriend jeans and duster. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I love my denim, but find wearing double denim can be a little tricky. It can easily skew too “trucker/cowboy” if I’m not careful.

earrings | duster (Petites/Plus) | top (similar) | necklace |
bracelet | bracelet | bag | jeans (Petite/Plus) | sandals

Double Denim Details

The one guideline I always follow when wearing more than one denim piece at a time is to mix washes. (One of the many random-but-useful things I learned from watching the original “Queer Eye For The Straight Guy” years ago.) I also find that adding some feminine and/or sporty accessories keeps the look modern and current.

So yes, the “duster” is actually a dress. I just removed the belt and wear it open. (Worn before HERE.) The jeans are a few years old now, and though they’ve softened up nicely, they aren’t quite as faded as they look in the light above.

Detail: French Kande long necklace with vintage French medallion. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

Stacked French Kande bracelets. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

All of the French Kande pieces are from earlier collections, and are some of my favorites. The Summer “Luxembourg” collection is now online, and has some gorgeous pieces.

Detail: Eileen Fisher "Sport" sandal in pewter. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I actually bought these sandals a couple of years ago and now that the weather’s warmed up again have put them back into rotation. They’re incredibly comfortable. I also have a pair in black that I wore all over Japan when we visited in 2016. I think this color is “Pewter,” which is a nice metallic that’s in between gold and silver. (Looks more gold in this light.)

It’s been one of those weeks where I thought I was going to have a nice, clear schedule, but Random Things and Projects keep popping up. I’m still working on my Spring Closet Clear Out, but haven’t been able to get to it for the last few days. A few of you have asked for photos of my closet, which I promise I’ll share once I finish the project.

Do you wear double denim? What guidelines (if any) do you follow?

1. April 12, 2018 / 3:17 am

I love these sandals, they have the perfect level of support for walking and travel. I have a wonderful gingham linen dress that I wear with black jeans as a duster and I love the long look it creates. I am in the middle of 4th month of shopping my closet. One thing I love about your blog is how well you rotate your wardrobe, I want to achieve more of enjoying the lovely clothes in my closet.

• Colleen
      April 12, 2018 / 7:04 am

Love the look of these sandals. Wondering how comfortable the ankle portion is after a few hours of walking.

April 12, 2018 / 7:53 am

Hi Colleen, I’ve never had any problems with the comfort of the straps. The leather is really soft!

• MARLA
        April 12, 2018 / 2:16 pm

own the same ones. the ankle portion is super supportive and very soft!

• Janice Gerow
        April 12, 2018 / 10:30 pm

I have those very sandals in two colours also, and they are like wearing slippers. The leather is very soft.

• Janice Gerow
          April 12, 2018 / 10:31 pm

Ok, just noticed everyone said the leather is soft. Now you know! lol

April 14, 2018 / 11:55 am

Thanks, Beth. I’d love to find another dress or two that work as dusters. The gingham sounds very nice.

2. Meg
    April 12, 2018 / 4:50 am

I don’t double blue denims but I certainly do with blue and a colored piece! Like a blue denim jacket and pink jeans? Or a white denim jacket and blue rinse jeans..
    Your sandals, I love those! I also have two pair, black and a nude pair. I wear them all over in the summer. They will be coming on vacation with me in June, and will work with skirts, dresses and cropped pants.
    Can’t wait to see your closet. Mine is an unholy mess right now- new purchases have arrived and the weather still is not conducive to light clothing so it’s also full of wool and heavy clothes. And then the shoe situation… I need to go thru and pitch the worn out and tired shoes cluttering the floor.

April 14, 2018 / 11:54 am

Thanks Meg! These sandals really are the best. I’ve had to hold myself back from buying more colors.

3. Ramona
    April 12, 2018 / 5:02 am

I never double denim-it goes wrong so easily! I love the duster on you, but would have paired with black, khaki or white on the bottom. A column of black might have been interesting with the duster and your jewelry.

I am headed into my closet this weekend as spring just might, finally, be ready to settle in here in the midwest. Fingers crossed!

April 14, 2018 / 11:53 am

Thanks, Ramona. I’ve actually paired it with an all-black column and love it that way too. Hoping you get your wish about Spring’s arrival.

4. Kim
    April 12, 2018 / 5:11 am

I wish I could figure out how to share photos! I doubled down with very similar washes, but the shirt was ombre, so it was lighter at the bottom and I cuffed the distressed jeans, so they showed lighter. I broke it up with a red tapestry jacket, red pointy toe pumps and my Clare V. leopard clutch. I’ve was feelin’ stylish that day! 😉

April 14, 2018 / 11:51 am

That sounds like a wonderful outfit, Kim!

5. April 12, 2018 / 5:23 am

The key is two shades of denim, as you’ve done. Otherwise you look that that old photo of Britney Spears with Justin Timberlake, a look that will live in infamy.
    That bag! You must tell more! At first glance, it looked like a flower pot in one of those net bags used for emergency shopping. But no–I clicked through and it’s gorgeous camel leather, not clay (which would be heavy and noisy). However, I would not do well with the open top. I have to have a zip because I am guaranteed to overturn it at some point when it’s most inconvenient. Tell us, do you like it? Is it practical?

April 14, 2018 / 11:50 am

Yes, that “Britney & Justin” look is exactly what I’m trying to avoid. 😀 I purchased this bag last year because it was just so fun and different, but have found that it’s actually a lightweight and practical bag.

6. Sheri
    April 12, 2018 / 5:35 am

A cute and comfortable look!! Love, love, love your French Kande jewelry! I do wish it was more affordable. I’ve yet to be able to get even one piece! 🙁 It always makes everything you wear it with look elevated! Your style is great and I look forward to your posts!

April 14, 2018 / 11:49 am

Thank you very much, Sheri!

7. April 12, 2018 / 5:59 am

The first time I stumbled onto you and your blog (at Sally’s Already Pretty) I noticed your cool footwear. You still rock flat shoes.
    Greetje

April 14, 2018 / 11:48 am

Thanks so much Greetje! My feet have become more finicky over time, so I’ve kept an eye out for fun and good-looking flats and low heels. Your friend Misja is my “shoe-spiration” these days.

8. Lyn
    April 12, 2018 / 7:28 am

Can’t get behind the double denim — the duster looks so much better in your “worn here” picture. But if you are going that way, did you consider a print top to break up the heaviness of the look? I’d have on a bright floral top with it, but I have the feeling you don’t own one. How about Breton stripes?

April 14, 2018 / 11:47 am

Thanks for the feedback, Lyn. I have a couple of print tops left after my closet clear-out, will try one of them.

9. Elizabeth
    April 12, 2018 / 7:52 am

Doubling-up is tricky. Maybe try white jeans or a crisp white shirt with what you’re wearing. I’m trying something different this spring. Along with a pair of lighter weight skinny jeans, I’ll pair a knee length, paler blue denim top (vest) with a 0.75 sleeve ivory tee. The blues don’t match, but the lighter weight denims are compatible. Instead of a longer necklace ( you look lovely in yours ), will wear a thin blue silk batik print scarf. I’m not tall, 5’4″,and the long look works, at least I think so!! I love your sandals. Love reading your blogs, Susan!

April 14, 2018 / 11:46 am

Thanks, Elizabeth! Sounds like you’ve found a combo that works well for you.

10. Lisa B
    April 12, 2018 / 9:55 am

I love dark denim with a J Crew chambray shirt. Chambray being lighter than the denim. I usually wear a black EF long sweater over this. This is my comfy uniform. Sometimes I toss on a Burberry or Hermes scarf but for the most part just the shirt and and jeans. I’m so much better off when I limit my prints and colors. Black is my comfort zone. I saw a woman the other day with a black turtleneck, black pants and black trench and she looked so stylish. That’s my look!!

April 14, 2018 / 11:45 am

Sounds like a great look. I’m still on the search for a chambray shirt without chest pockets.

11. Cathy D.
    April 12, 2018 / 10:45 am

I love seeing you wear the same item in different ways. It inspires me to try to do the same. This outfit really suites you, and you look great in rolled, less fitted jeans… the wave of the future. The accessories are perfect, and I probably would not have noticed you were wearing double denim if you hadn’t pointed it out. Wonder where that silly rule about not wearing double denim came from?

April 14, 2018 / 11:44 am

Thanks, Cathy D. I think many of us want to have smaller wardrobes with more versatile pieces, so I’ll continue to re-mix favorite items.

12. MARLA
    April 12, 2018 / 2:15 pm

Oh Susan….you just look wonderful and this week’s photo really validates my choices. A big thank you for that. I own the same sandals EF from couple years back in the same color. LOVE THEM…..and I bought last year’s model of the EF denim duster! I am 3X and it all works for me. I enjoy the French black and white stripe T but jeans don’t work for me. I just too ROUND!!! I wear EF stretch crepe pants and other styles like their slouchy pants. Navy, black the most altho I have other colors from other years. YAY Susan for your delightful posts.

April 14, 2018 / 11:43 am

Thanks so much Marla!

April 14, 2018 / 11:42 am

I’m glad to hear darker denim is on trend. It’s been harder to find the past few seasons than lighter washes.

13. April 13, 2018 / 5:53 am

I love double, sometimes triple denim. I think the key is wearing slightly different shades as you’ve done here.

April 14, 2018 / 11:58 am

I think I’ve pinned a couple of your denim-on-denim outfits as inspiration. 😉

14. Carol
    April 13, 2018 / 9:56 pm

You know they call this a Canadian Tuxedo, right? I’ll wear blue denim or chambray with white, or black (or pink, as suggested above!) denim, but I just can’t do the double-blue-denim thing. Too matchy matchy, even with different washes.

I too love the French Kande, but since I already have a massive Bakelite/Galalith collection (I will be Iris Apfel when I’m 90), I can’t see starting another collection. Tant pis!

April 14, 2018 / 7:58 am

I thought it was only a “Canadian tuxedo” if the denim washes matched? 😉 Love Bakelite! I wish I’d collected some before it became a “thing.” Now the good pieces are hard to find and $$$.

15. April 13, 2018 / 10:29 pm

I don’t do double denim… well maybe a chambray shirt in light and some dark jeans but that is rare. I totally bought those sandals.. they are really comfy! But then I bought a pair of Gucci loafers too and felt bad about my spending so naturally returned… the sandals (ha! The loafers are like butter, I see you have a pair too!)

April 14, 2018 / 11:41 am

Aren’t those loafers fabulous? 🙂

16. April 15, 2018 / 9:47 am

First Susan, I love you sandals, they look so cute and ones that you can walk around in all day! i love this look with your dress being worn as a duster. I have plans to do the same with one of the linen dresses i bought a couple of years ago. Very stylish!
    jess xx

April 15, 2018 / 10:14 am

Thanks so much, Jess!

17. April 16, 2018 / 5:05 am

I love my denim, too, so I really appreciate your tips about how to avoid double denim looking like rodeo gear. Different washes is a great tip.

Likewise, thanks for the tip about un-echoing accessories. I guess my cowgirl belt with my name burned on the back is out, eh? 😉