Casual Vendredi: Ladies Who Lunch

Polished casual outfit with boyfriend jacket, metallic bag and white sneakers. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

How to take a jeans-tee-sneaker look up to Polished Casual? Add a softly structured jacket like this one.

earrings | scarf (similar) | jacket | tee | braceletbag | jeans (similar) | shoes

A Double-Breasted Jacket Goes Out To Lunch

My friend D is back in town, and we’ve been trying to get together for lunch for a few weeks now. We finally made it happen this week. The venue was casual/trendy so I decided to try out this look. (Yes, it’s another iteration of my Style Formula.)

Menswear-inspired jackets have been a big trend this spring. I love the look in concept and have tried on a few, but they often have wide lapels or other details that don’t work for me. I’ve always been wary of double-breasted jacket styles, but the long, collarless neckline on this one makes it more flattering. The fabric also has some softness to it, so the jacket drapes nicely when worn open. Rolling the sleeves gives it a more relaxed vibe. I’ve tried to balance the menswear element with some feminine accessories: large but delicate hoop earrings, a soft scarf, and a pearl bracelet.

French Kande pearl bracelet, Rag & Bone metallic bucket bag. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’ve been using this little metallic bag (gifted) quite often. It adds some punch to an outfit, and is a nice size and very lightweight.

More Boy-Meets-Girl Jackets…

Sandro | Theory | J.Crew | Mural | Leith | Vince Camuto (Plus)

I’m planning to finalize my travel wardrobe over the weekend, and will post early next week.

Bon weekend!

1. May 18, 2018 / 3:50 am

The jacket really lifts what would be a very casual look into something classy. Well done!

2. Yvonne
    May 18, 2018 / 4:34 am

Love this look and the bag is to die for!!

3. Jeanne
    May 18, 2018 / 4:46 am

I like everything but the sneakers. They seem a little heavy to me. I am just not a sneakers gal unless running errands in a more casual outfit or walking the dog. I was attracted to the jacket at Jcrew too. Very nice drape. I love your blog. From the font to the content. I’m glad I discovered it.

4. Karen
    May 18, 2018 / 4:49 am

I agree with the sneakers comment. Love the rest of the outfit though!

5. May 18, 2018 / 5:09 am

I agree the jacket lays very nicely on you and doesn’t look overly masculine. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a cut that may work for me although this will be relegated to a fall look at this point.

6. Stephanie J
    May 18, 2018 / 6:05 am

I love this look, including the sneakers. The bag is on sale at Nordstrom! Thanks Susan.

7. Veronica
    May 18, 2018 / 6:17 am

I like the look; however, if wearing sneakers, I think a shorter jacket could work better in order to give the illusion of longer legs!

8. sophia
    May 18, 2018 / 6:32 am

I like collarless jackets so when adding a large scarf, it doesn’t bulk up at the collar. Last weekend I bought a lived in Levi’s jean jacket at a yard sale for $2 and cut off the collar. It now has a thread soft neckline.

• GingerR
      May 20, 2018 / 4:47 am

That was a good idea. I’ve seen some of those in retail stores. Some of them are minus the band at the bottom, which I kind of like b/c that often doesn’t button on me. For $2 you can experiment!

9. Pat
    May 18, 2018 / 6:39 am

Would love to see some summer outfits that don’t include scarves and jackets for us women who live in Florida with heat and high humidity

May 18, 2018 / 6:43 am

Hi Pat, our climate stays pretty cool until mid-summer, and we don’t have the same level of humidity to contend with. Most of the outfits I post are what I’m actually wearing, and I dress for the climate. But I’ll keep that in mind for future posts.

• Susan U
      May 20, 2018 / 5:50 pm

I would love ideas like that too- it was almost 90 here today and 79% humidity. There is no way I can wear long pants, a scarf, and a jacket without breaking out in a heat rash! Even restaurants are not that cool here! That being said I do like the outfit…

May 21, 2018 / 5:12 am

I’ll be including some warmer weather wear in my travel wardrobe. Check back tomorrow 🙂

10. Lynn
    May 18, 2018 / 7:07 am

Love the length of your hair in these pictures! Nice outfit.

11. Weezie Fitzhugh
    May 18, 2018 / 7:11 am

Susan, I usually love your outfits; we share a similar style. Bag, scarf, jacket here are all spot on. But let’s talk about the shoes: I’m all about a sneaker for running around town, but I think they look best when worn with ankle pants or shorter, with some skin showing between the shoe and the pant. Otherwise, if the shoe is white, I think they tend to look “nursey”.

12. Anon
    May 18, 2018 / 8:07 am

This is an American classic look. The formula of jeans, a jacket and T-shirt works well in many variations. My jackets are collarless, semi-structured (and never double-breasted due to my hips). White sneakers? Also an American classic. Summer is fleeting, so why not enjoy them while you can?

I wear scarves for much of the year, too. Temperatures can fluctuate wildly in a matter of minutes here. Scarves are easy to tuck in a bag and pull out as needed. Lightwright scarves protect my neck ftom the sun in the summer.

13. Ainsivalavie
    May 18, 2018 / 8:21 am

Love the upper outfit but not the styling of the bottom half…
    Would have worn the metallic version of the sneaks and agree with the reader who wrote the pant hemline should be shorter. Or a funky touch like a frayed cuff would have offset all the high end merch going on up top. Even some distressed jeans with a darker wash and skinny leg. I do realize it’s often difficult to mix it up. Statement items like the purse and jewelry need to be offset with items that make the overall ‘look’ more insouciant. In design we refer to tension. It’s what sets a well designed and inspiring room apart from an ‘ok’ space. In fashion too much tension can look eccentric or trying too hard. Not enough and we have ‘ok’. It’s a tough balancing act!
    Your beloved ankle boots would have looked super cool here. In metallic leather peut être?

• GingerR
      May 20, 2018 / 4:50 am

We went to Miami to visit retired relatives one time and they were matchy-matchy on the metallic accessories. That tainted my eye forever and I think it looks old. My rule is one metallic per outfit.
      However, I’m in agreement about the shoes/length. I’d have preferred a dark colored shoe or sandal.

14. Wendy
    May 18, 2018 / 10:18 am

Yep, I agree with others, great look apart from the sneakers. I think they might have worked if they hadn’t been so bright white. You are so brave to put yourself out there and have people commenting on what you’re wearing; I’d be terrified!

15. Lynne Savage
    May 18, 2018 / 12:48 pm

I lust for the bag.

16. Kathy
    May 18, 2018 / 1:48 pm

I like the look. As someone who is also only 5″1″, I wear my pants down to my shoes. I’ve read on other blogs that leaving a gap of skin between your shoes and pants elongates the leg. On me, it just breaks the line I’m trying for. I think we are more comfortable when we do what feels right for our body. Nothing is worse than having our clothes “wear us”.

17. Lily
    May 18, 2018 / 2:25 pm

Susan, of all the blogs out there I like your style best of all! You must have a nice long neck, you wear that scarf beautifully.

18. Alison
    May 18, 2018 / 3:29 pm

Love the look. I think the white sneakers balance the white top under that beautiful jacket. Something I will remember when I want a dressed up causal look.

19. Stephanie Anderson
    May 19, 2018 / 12:43 am

No white sneakers for me, EVER! My huge feet would look like boats!

20. Nancie
    May 19, 2018 / 8:27 am

I think you look wonderful here except the sneakers. Though trendy now, IMHO they age you instantly in this photo. I wonder what would happen if your changed into the metallic sneakers and maybe rolled your jean up a turn for a wee bit of attitude.

21. Nicole K
    May 19, 2018 / 1:53 pm

Another yes vote for the entire look, including the sneakers. White sneakers are all the rage now. They are everywhere, worn with everything. As for suggestions of wearing distressed jeans, I draw the line there. Wore them in the 70’s, 80’s, and for a brief period in the 90’s. Never again. I think you got the look just right.

22. May 21, 2018 / 12:36 pm

I like the sneakers (I like the whole outfit!) — they look fresh and modern.