The Need For Tweed

I love the look of a tweed jacket with faded or distressed denim. Details at une femme d'un certain age

Even though my style is much more casual these days, I still have a soft spot for a tweed jacket. It adds instant polish when paired with jeans, or dresses up a pair of Little Black Pants for evenings out.

Above: left | right

Coco Chanel popularized tweed for women’s wear (jackets, suits, dresses) in the 1920’s, and many of her designs remain iconic. But tweed jackets can be tricky. The stiff, boxy styles don’t work well with my body type, and tend to skew fussy and frumpy.

IRO black tweed jacket styled two ways. Details at une femme d'un certain age.I’ve learned to look for softer styles (often knits) with a little ease and drape. The one I’m wearing above has become a favorite for that reason.

Spring Tweed Jackets

There’s a lot of tweed offered this season, and I’ve been on the lookout for some non-black options. Here are a few that have caught my eye:

Marled grey knit tweed jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This is a marled version of the one that I have. That grey is versatile, but didn’t work as well with my coloring as I’d hoped. If you have grey hair or cool skin tones, this would probably be smashing. (This popular style is also currently available in Blush, Ivory, Blue, and Emerald.)

Halogen multi-color tweed jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s a budget-friendly option with some nice shaping (available in Misses and Petites). According to reviewers, the colors are brighter IRL.

Moto-style tweed jacket from Joie. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s a moto-style, currently marked down 40%.

Marina Rinaldi metallic tweed

A longer style in Plus, with a bit of metallic thread in the weave.
Ivory and blue tweed jacket from IRO. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The online photo doesn’t begin to do justice to this jacket. Yes, there’s some subtle distressing but it’s very subtle IRL. It has a zip closure as well as snaps, and functional zip pockets in front. Also available in red.

Vince Camuto windowpane tweed jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Ok, so it’s black, but there’s a little bit of color in there too. This budget-friendly style is also available in Plus.

Boden tweed snap-front cardigan in Bright Watermelon. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

If even a knit jacket is more structure than you prefer, here’s a snap-front cardigan in a pretty coral pink (also available in Navy).

Modern Tweed

Rebecca Taylor | Banana Republic | Eileen Fisher | IRO | Talbot’s (Plus) | Anthropologie | Rebecca Taylor

Do you have a tweed jacket or cardigan in your wardrobe? How do you like to style it?

1. Jeanne
    May 3, 2018 / 3:14 am

Good ideas as always. Off the subject, your hair always looks terrific. Yet I suspect it’s thin. Like mine, which although perhaps similar, always looks like hell. Is there a trick you or your hair-manager can share?

• Victoria
      May 3, 2018 / 6:08 am

Yes, enquiring minds want to know. I also have baby fine color treated hair. I’d love to know any tricks Susan has up her sleeve, or at least her current products pics.
      Love the jackets btw. I have the IRO in 3 colors, black, of course being the MVP.

2. Ainsivalavie
    May 3, 2018 / 4:49 am

Sigh…I have tried with the tweed jackets. Like you I am short with a curvy hip and find that unless the jacket is petite it hits me at a bad point. The shaped style looks like a worthy option though. Also unless they are worn with edgier clothing as you show with jeans, the tweed jacket can look so ‘mumsy’. They always look chic on those who are taller and slim of hip. The jury is still out on this one for my wardrobe. Thanks for showing the various options!!

3. Rachel
    May 3, 2018 / 5:04 am

I have similar body type and style concerns, and have rarely worn my knit tweed jacket with three quarter sleeves, even though it’s a lovely shade of blue and drapes nicely. With short hair the neckline feels bare without a collared shirt, but then long sleeves look funny hanging below the jacket sleeves. I love your photo with a simple v neck top and necklace to fill in the neckline. Going to try that, thanks!

4. Susan D.
    May 3, 2018 / 5:44 am

I love the photo of you laughing, or maybe it is just a big smile!

5. Kim
    May 3, 2018 / 7:12 am

I adore tweed, but it doesn’t adore me back. I tried on a couple of styles early this year at Anthropologie and it aged me horribly. Maybe I haven’t found the right style. I think a solid jacket in a dark color (like yours) might do the trick, so I’ll keep an eye out and an open mind.

6. Lily
    May 3, 2018 / 7:46 am

I love tweed/boucle jackets! I prefer short, somewhat fitted jackets on my small frame. I style them with black or blue jeans, booties, a tee and vintage brooches. A little edgy, a little dressy, that’s my uniform.

7. May 3, 2018 / 8:26 am

I have kept an Isabel Marant Étoile deconstructed tweed jacket, in aubergine, and I find it really can elevate a simple tee and jeans on occasion. Were it black, of course, or navy, I’d get even more wear out of it. BTW if you click on the link to the first jacket you showed, Shopbop shows some other fun options. (Don’t ask me how I know:))

8. Nicole K
    May 3, 2018 / 9:54 am

I absolutely love that jacket and have tried it and didn’t buy. Maybe have to just give in. There really isn’t another that I’ve tried that is so flattering. I am short waisted and busty, and the relaxed silhouette just works. Thanks Susan!

9. MichelleTyler
    May 3, 2018 / 2:14 pm

I know what you mean about the usual boxy shape but I have to say the more fitted styles you posted here are lovely! I really like the Halogen one best, even though it’s your “budget” option.

Have you seen the Winser London tweed Susan? Oh boy, now that is worth the investment…

10. May 3, 2018 / 2:58 pm

I love tweeds. But like you, I have a hard time finding ones that aren’t aging and that are flattering. I love Iro and I’m waiting for an Isabel Marant one to come in. Rebecca Taylor I have to go up two sizes for it to look relaxed and not fussy. I’m so glad to see this post and that others have the same tweed issues I have!

11. May 3, 2018 / 9:35 pm

Hi! A little warning. The “coral” jacket isn’t coral. I ordered that jacket (Boden) and was unpleasantly surprised when it arrived. Neon pinky not a true tweed weave and very boxy. Great service from the company however.

12. Siobhan
    May 5, 2018 / 1:44 pm

Love the jacket you are wearing. Doesn’t look “corporate”. What brand t shirt?

13. May 22, 2018 / 10:00 am

I have several tweed items, they are favourites in my closet 🙂 this fabric seems to elevate any outfit.