Monday Miscellany: Meetups And Markdowns

Evening in Lyon, crossing pedestrian bridge. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

We arrived in Lyon yesterday afternoon, and after a late, light lunch, explored the “Vieux Lyon” area a little bit on foot. We’ve already found a nice little wine bar that we’ll be visiting again, and le Monsieur was delighted to find some outstanding artisanal ice cream just a short distance from our hotel. We have a list of things yet to do and see here, but we’re really loving the vibe of this city already! (That lighted tower in the upper right is listed on the map as “Tour Metallique”. It was built three years after the Tour Eiffel, and is now a television tower.)

But the highlight of the day was meeting up with my friend Frances and her husband for dinner!

Susan B and Frances in Lyon. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Frances and I met through our blogs (hers is Materfamilias Writes) about ten years ago, and in person for the first time in 2009. We were delighted to find that our paths would be crossing briefly in Lyon, so arranged to meet for dinner. We (spouses included) had a lovely time, but didn’t think to take a photo until after dinner, so the lighting isn’t the best. We were having such fun catching up that we were the last people in the restaurant!

Wedge Sandals

I haven’t noticed any ubiquitous style trends here yet, but have spotted a considerable number of women wearing wedge sandals, usually cork or wood. They’re a practical choice for getting a little bit of height while still being able to navigate cobblestones.

Cork wedge sandals from Naturalizer. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

There are a lot of big sales on currently. These cork wedges from Naturalizer are available in multiple colors and sizes, and in Medium and Wide widths.

Mephisto wedge sandals on sale. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Mephisto makes some excellent walking shoes. I have a style with a similar footbed that I wore comfortably all over Bordeaux and Paris a couple of years ago. This style is currently 33% off.

Low wedge sandals from Gentle Souls. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

These low wedges from Gentle Souls are under $100. These are SO cute and having tried this style before, I can attest to their comfort. If you’re looking for a good travel walking sandal that can dress up or down, these are worth a try.

Not footwear, but another great travel piece that’s on sale…

Lightweight cashmere wool cardigan on sale. This is an excellent piece for travel! Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This is the same style of cardigan I have in charcoal. It’s currently 30% off in this light neutral color, and I’m tempted to grab one myself. It’s been an excellent sweater for travel!!

We’re off to explore more of Lyon today. I’ll have some updates tomorrow.

If you still need to fill out your summer travel wardrobe, there are a lot of great weekend sales still on today.

Bloomingdales: Big Brown Bag sale.

Lands’ End: 40% off Swim, 25% off Everything Else.

Net-a-Porter: up to 50% off.

Nordstrom: Half-Yearly Sale. Up to 40% off a bazillion items, including lots of Eileen Fisher clothing and shoes.

À demain!

1. Lynn
    May 28, 2018 / 5:03 am

I case you need assurance of your influence, yours is the only blog I follow with any consistency or respect. I am a bargain shopper, and I have bought a couple of things on your recommendation.
    I found the Eileen Fisher wedge espadrilles online and the j crew sweater jacket on sale at a bricks and mortar in Charleston, SC. Thrilled with both.
    Happy trails!

2. Vicki
    May 28, 2018 / 5:55 am

Hi Susan
    I’m thoroughly enjoying your France blog and the pics.
    I love Paris – it’s a woman’s city.
    I was delighted you chose Lipault as part of your luggage, I discovered the brand a few years ago and they are my preferred travel tote, I go for a crossbody when out & about.
    Wedges are a great practical shoe I find esp. when you add European cobblestones into the equation.
    My dilemma at the moment is trying to find a closed toe sandal for my trip to Egypt in October.
    Any footwear suggestions anyone?

• Ev
      May 28, 2018 / 10:20 am

i would look at Keens. They have a few styles to consider with closed toes.

• Vicki
        May 29, 2018 / 5:48 am

Thank you Ev for your suggestion, will check them out.

3. Beth
    May 28, 2018 / 6:43 am

Hi. What brand of umbrella do you like for travel?

May 28, 2018 / 8:53 am

Hi Beth, we tend to just pack cheapie folding umbrellas. One of our current ones is from Uniqlo, and the other was a promotional item from a work event.

• Elizabeth
      May 28, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I bought a wonderful travel size umbrella from Eddie Bauer a few years ago. It has been very dependable in some very unpleasant wind and rain. Susan, thank you for your wonderful blog!

4. May 28, 2018 / 6:58 am

Ah hello to you and Frances! I know from personal experience what a sympathetic duo you are! Must have been fun to introduce spouses as well:).

May 28, 2018 / 8:51 am

We thought of you and wished you could have been there too. Les Messieurs actually met in 2009 as well.

5. Suz
    May 28, 2018 / 7:04 am

How fun to meet up! I don’t know why but I love getting together with friends in a foreign location…..
    Thanks for posting.
    Suz from Vancouver

6. risa Wolfson
    May 28, 2018 / 7:08 am

I was so happy to read that you were able to get together with your friend-that made the trip even more special! Love the suggestions for fashionable shoes that are also able to navigate the cobblestone path!

7. May 28, 2018 / 7:16 am

I am leaving for France ( Paris and Provence) tomorrow. The weather sounds awful, rainy hot and humid, and yet here you are all cool and collected, wearing a sweater even! I was thinking to pack a serious raincoat not just a light jacket. Am I wrong?

May 28, 2018 / 8:49 am

We’ve had a little bit of everything, weather-wise. When it does rain, it’s intermittent and lets up after anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours. Yesterday was a little bit warm and humid, but it’s cooled down now and is quite pleasant. My lighter rain jacket which has been just fine.

8. Sacheverell
    May 28, 2018 / 7:59 am

If you like wine bars, I’ll put in a plug for Le Jardin des Délices, bd Yves Farge, in the 7ème arrondissement of Lyon. It’s a restaurant / wine bar where you eat surrounded by bottles of wine. Food is great and wine selection can’t be beat. (I’m American but spend quite a bit of time working in Lyon. Wonderful city.)

9. Nicole K
    May 28, 2018 / 1:45 pm

The power of Une Femme! Vince sweater sold out. Dang!
    Keep writing about your wonderful travels.

10. Dee
    May 28, 2018 / 10:27 pm

Love Lyon, beautiful city. I’m in Ireland travelling and having marvellous weather and seeing wonderful countryside. I enjoy your blog and the great tips you give. I usually wear a lot of black but have themed this trip around shades of blue with some white and then a pink and blue scarf. Thanks for all you write, Dee

11. MichelleTyler
    May 29, 2018 / 2:21 pm

Aw that’s lovely, hope you girls didn’t drink too much 😉 Nah just kiddin’ obvs!
    I’m a big fan of the wedge heel for these particular reasons. Weekends, walking and exploring followed by a lovely meal and a couple of bevvys – Perfect!