Outfit: Blues In The Park

Wearing in Paris: a blue-green linen jacket, botanical print scarf, jeans and wedge sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Have I mentioned that we had some gorgeous late Spring weather in Paris? On the Sunday during our stay, the sun was out and we decided it would be a perfect day to hang out in Jardin du Luxembourg.

My friend Josephine (Chic At Any Age) had come over from London for the weekend, so some picture-taking was in order. On our way to the park, we spied this covered walkway which made a wonderful backdrop.

Wearing: jacket (similar) | scarf | tank | bracelet | jeans | bag | sandals

I’d picked up this Majestic Filatures knit linen jacket in Lyon. It’s the kind of jacket I’m always hunting for back home: lightweight, soft, and a lighter color that Plays Well With Others. Though the soft sea-blue color didn’t “wow” on the hanger, I really like how it looks on me. And to add a bit of serendipity, it matches almost exactly the color in this Alexander McQueen scarf I found last year in Las Vegas.

(If you’re not familiar with Majestic Filatures, they make some lovely simple knit pieces, especially in linen.)

Sunday in Jardin du Luxembourg

Style blogger Susan B. at an outdoor cafe in Paris wearing a blue-green linen jacket and botanical print scarf. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

As we arrived at the park, a band was tuning up in the bandstand across from this cafe. We decided to sit and have a coffee and listen for a while.

Please note: my content is being re-published by other websites without my permission. If you’re not reading this post at https://unefemme.net, please click link to read where originally posted.

Man and boy listening to concert in Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

These two dapper gents were enjoying the music…

Exterior of Luxembourg Palace in Paris. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Sailboats in fountain in Jardin du Luxembourg Paris. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Kids (and a few adults) were having fun sailing toy boats in the fountain.

Sitting on the grass in Jardin du Luxembourg. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Jardin du Luxembourg is one of the few parks in Paris where sitting on the grass is allowed, and Parisians take full advantage of it.

Under the trees in Jardin du Luxembourg wearing linen jacket and jeans. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Photos of me were taken by Josephine.

Style bloggers Susan B. and Josephine taking outfit photos in Paris. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Behind the scenes: le Monsieur snapped this one of Josephine and me doing our Blogger Thing.

More Like These…

(Click arrow at right to see more options.)

1. GingerR
    June 18, 2018 / 3:59 am

That’s a nice color of blue/green. I usually have a sweater in my closet that color because it blends in so well with denims. The one I have right now is brighter, and has those infernal bell sleeves that seem to have shown up on sweaters this year. Yours is nice because it’s muted and the sleeves are straight.

2. June 18, 2018 / 4:40 am

Two are my major gripes about clothing now are those bell sleeves, often too long, and “cold shoulder” dresses and tops.

The sleeves, if long, are an accident hazard: burns and getting caught in machinery – even kitchen machinery, and the cold shoulder reveals one of the body parts most likely to burn.

I thought they would quickly go out of style, but they are still with us.

• Cynthia
      June 18, 2018 / 9:23 am

I agree completely about the bell sleeves. They do look pretty, but are completely lacking in practicality and can even be dangerous, as you say. They irritate me as well, in a long sleeve, because I like to be able to push my sleeves up. The cold shoulder tops come in handy for me in the in between of Autumn and Spring (and occasionally in Winter if I am wearing layers), because I am always hot, and they help with that. It seems difficult to find the ones that don’t droop or look funny, though. As an added bonus, since my once muscular arms are not aging well, the cold shoulder sleeve can cover up some less attractive body parts in any season, so I suppose I am a fan year round.

• June 18, 2018 / 4:50 pm

What I prefer in the heat is a sleeveless dress or top, and then an open shirt, short-sleeved jacket or whatever over it. I feel the heat but also the cold. I’m probably in your cohort – my arms are muscular, but that doesn’t prevent the droop, which is age and weight loss. If only!

3. Ellen
    June 18, 2018 / 4:42 am

You look absolutely gorgeous! We were in Paris during the pentecost-weekend, also very lovely weather. Paris stays special don’t you think!

4. June 18, 2018 / 4:43 am

I love grey- blues and greens and will be on the lookout for a similar item. Thank you. I am a honey- blond and I think the color will look fabulous. I am nearing the end on month six of a year with no new clothes. I am allowing myself underwear and I bought 2 pairs of Superga ‘s to wear around town. I am rotating my clothes better. Because I live in the South, lots of my summer tops only last a season. We also have a very warm fall lastng until late October.

5. June 18, 2018 / 5:47 am

Really like that jacket, Sue. It goes perfectly with your scarf.
    P.S. While I was scrolling Pinterest I came across some older Une Femme photos published on another site. One that purports to have “fashion ideas for women over 50.” There were also shots of Alyson from That’s Not My Age. No names, no links to your site or hers, or even a mention of names. Why do people do that? Makes me angry:(

June 18, 2018 / 5:53 am

Thanks, Susan! Yes, it’s a constant battle with those dodgy websites, and ultimately there’s not a lot we can do to stop it, especially when they’re operating from outside the US.

• June 18, 2018 / 4:45 pm

The most we can do to stop it is report it, and take action where we live. It is theft. Though I feel the same about Netflix an other sites that don’t pay their taxes where they derive revenue.

6. Linda Boardman Kerr
    June 18, 2018 / 5:52 am

This blue color looks AMAZING on you! Definitely wear this color more often!

7. Renée
    June 18, 2018 / 6:41 am

You really scored with that color!! You look radiant.

8. risa Wolfson
    June 18, 2018 / 6:50 am

You look glamorous and comfortable! My favorite photo is of Josephine taking a photo of you! Love the jacket and the scarf!

9. June 18, 2018 / 7:05 am

Gorgeous imagery – and I love that blue on you on a warm day, seems so light and easy for the season.

10. Jean
    June 18, 2018 / 7:07 am

I know you gravitate to noir, but that blue is definitely your color! So pretty.

11. wendelah1
    June 18, 2018 / 7:29 am

I love that color on you.

12. Rebecca Marx
    June 18, 2018 / 7:34 am

You look amazingly in this ensemble!

13. Susan H
    June 18, 2018 / 7:42 am

I love this look and color on you!! One of my favorites from the trip.

14. Charlene H.
    June 18, 2018 / 7:59 am

I love the details of this outfit shown in the last solo photo of you looking at the camera.
    -haircut (shorter?)
    -overall, yet subtle pattern, of your scarf
    -colors!
    -proportions of scarf to your outfit and your petite frame.
    You look terrific!

15. Ann in Missouri
    June 18, 2018 / 8:56 am

What everyone else is saying … the blues are gorgeous on you. I also appreciate the harmony of the fringed purse and scarf and the tan purse and shoes. This is a home run ensemble.

16. Kathryn Gillett
    June 18, 2018 / 9:09 am

I really like this outfit. Comfy,stylish, casual. No pulling, adjusting, straightening etc required.
    You look so relaxed and confident. I love it when it all comes together!

17. Cynthia
    June 18, 2018 / 9:32 am

I love this sea-blue on you! And of course the scarf makes it. I have recently made an attempt to adapt my wardrobe to a seasonal plan, with teal blues in the colder weather items, and coral in the warmer temps, all based on black in the basics. My wardrobe leaned that way when I looked through things, and I’ve been adapting your advice and that of a few other bloggers to make my my wardrobe more coherent. I used to buy anything that fit and was a color I liked. What a mess! Now, if it doesn’t fit the guidelines, I don’t think about buying it. Thanks so much for the inspiration. (But now I want the sea blue for summer. Uh oh.)

18. June 18, 2018 / 9:46 am

Oh, and it has POCKETS!!

19. Nancy
    June 18, 2018 / 10:12 am

Love the blues. My favorite color. The more I look at those Mephisto sandals the more I have to have them!

20. Kay
    June 18, 2018 / 10:23 am

I will be in Le Jardin in two weeks, so these pictures are perfect right now. We are going on the big family trip to visit the relatives in Savoie, taking along the kids this time. My older grandchildren remember the park so well, the carousel, the pond, the playground, and they have the youngest one excited to see it since this will be her first time there. I love to get a coffee and sit at a little table and watch the kids having fun. I also wanted to say that Lyon is underrated as a tourist destination. It’s almost as lovely as Paris, and the shopping is on a par with anything I’ve seen in Paris. Lyon also has magnificent Roman ruins that you don’t really see in Paris.

21. June 18, 2018 / 10:41 am

I wanted to comment to say that the blue-green color of your jacket and scarf–and the entire, harmonious outfit–looks gorgeous on you…only to find I’m echoing what everyone else already said! You always look great, but these colors are particularly special on you. Glad you had a wonderful trip.

22. Elizabeth Johnston
    June 18, 2018 / 10:41 am

Looking good as always! I will be traveling to Europe this summer. Are capris worn there or are they just a US thing?

June 18, 2018 / 10:45 am

Thanks! It depends on how you define “capris.” On warmer days, I often notice pants rolled up to an inch or two above the ankle. I usually don’t see pants in the length I think of as “pedal pushers” (high to mid-calf). I did see more people in Paris wearing shorts than I ever remember.

• Elizabeth Johnston
        June 19, 2018 / 4:19 pm

Thanks. Good to know. I live in what you call pedal pushers here in southern TX so I may need to do some more shopping.

23. Daniella
    June 18, 2018 / 11:39 am

You are a photogenic person and look good in pictures, however I have to observe that those blue jeans, work horses that they are, look old and tired! Too much “same old” . Must refresh!

• Nicole K
      June 19, 2018 / 12:50 pm

You must find someone else to follow, perhaps? We all know Susan loves denim as a base and styles it so well, it’s why we follow her. We are fortunate to have so many Over 50 style bloggers now. Many rarely wear denim. In California, we live in it!

24. Angela
    June 18, 2018 / 1:21 pm

Such a flattering colour on you. Love how scarves pull an outfit together. That’s why my favourite seasons are Spring and Autumn.

25. Belinda Manley
    June 19, 2018 / 5:26 am

Love,love,love this softer color on you!

26. Carol Montanti
    June 19, 2018 / 9:57 am

I agree with the comments about this ensemble, I haven’t been following you for long but would say this is the best one I have seen, and the tan purse and shoes really complement it all, not too matchy matchy, and perfect in monochromatic Paris. I bet you felt like a million bucks(oops, euros!) For anyone in the south of France, Marseille is an outstanding place to shop, in the Old Port area, no more grimy, scary rep!

27. Dawn
    June 20, 2018 / 3:05 am

Hi Susan, I feel compelled to comment as you look fabulous! The mix of colours and tones really suit you, I love the balance of textures and patterns that add interest. And, a lovely Parisian backdrop! I have enjoyed your blog for some time now- I enjoy reading what you write as well as the photos you share.

28. Anon
    June 20, 2018 / 7:21 am

I’m so glad that children can walk, run and play on the lawn where I live. I can’t imagine not being able to do so when I was growing up. That was one of my takeaways from Paris. Lawns are such a nice relief from all the concrete of the city.

At least there’s somewhere in Paris where children can feel grass tickling their toes.

29. Tess
    July 6, 2018 / 9:27 am

Hello Susan,

I enjoyed the picture of you and Josephine at Deux Magots, as well as your other pictures enjoying the cafes in Paris. It made me think of a question, though, that’s been bothering me for a while. What is proper cafe etiquette for enjoying a relaxed time at your table? I’ve seen Parisians linger at tables for more than 2-3 hours after just a cup of coffee, and stay and read or even play cards after they have finished lunch. If I’m staying a while, I’ll usually order a couple of other things over time, like a croissant and mineral water, and I try not to linger into lunch time or overstay lunch time. But I’ve been accosted–by non-Parisians at Deux Magots: among them, American couples complaining loudly that “this crowd has been here forever”, millenials trying to co-opt my table, and an English woman who upbraided me for “taking up too much room” as I was checking my list after lunch. (I was at a regular table, but the previous occupants had pulled up a few stools since the table was against the wall and they only had coffee. This woman obviously wanted my outdoor table on a beautiful afternoon, so I stayed just long enough for her to get permanently settled inside.) Have you seen this happen or is it just me? Do you think they do it because I’m obviously an older American woman traveling alone and look bulliable? Do you have any advice?

Thanks.