Slide Into Summer

Two pairs of slide sandals: metallic low-heel and pink suede block heel. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Sandal Season Is Here…

During the Summer months I prefer to wear easy, relaxed clothing, and rely on accessories to help add structure or visual interest to my outfits. But even with accessories, I like to keep it simple and fuss-free. That’s why I’m partial to slide sandals. No buckles or ties to mess with, and they work well with our laid-back Southern California vibe. Colors that pop and metallics are both versatile options.

This post is sponsored by ShopStyle. All ideas and opinions are my own.

I’ve found the most comfortable and wearable styles have a wider strap or double straps that fit snugly (not tight). I’m also partial to just a little bit of heel, which works with gravity to keep the foot firmly in the sandal.

Sunday Brunch With Friends

Style blogger Susan B. wears an Asian print silk jacket, jeans, and pink suede slide sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Detail: Kristin Cavallari pink suede slide sandals. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

Above, the bold print on this silk pajama jacket called for some equally bold footwear, so I went with these hot pink suede sandals (gifted). They’re from Kristin Cavallari, a brand that’s new to me.

Wine And Cheese At The Neighbors’

Style blogger Susan B. wears a casual summer party look: black separates, a lightweight wrap and metallic slide sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Detail: low-heeled metallic slide sandals from Sofft. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

These metallic slides (gifted) from Sofft are a more polished version of the “pool slides” that are still on-trend this summer. I’ve worn these out to walk dogs and run errands too, and they’re really comfortable. As with most sandals, I found that sizing down ½ size from my regular shoe size (7½) provided the best fit.

Other brands that I’ve found offer sandals with a good blend of comfort and style are Børn, Cole Haan, ECCO, Eileen Fisher, Mephisto, and Paul Green.

Here are a few more of my favorite sandals styles from Zappos. I’ve been a happy Zappos customer for years, both for their great selection and their fast and free delivery and easy returns.

Do you have a preferred sandal style?

Disclosure: I was provided a gift card to purchase the sandals. All other items are my own.

Please note: If you’re not reading this post at https://unefemme.net, please click link to read where originally posted.

1. Kim
    June 28, 2018 / 4:32 am

I agree with you on slides! I purchased a pair of Paul Green slides very similar to your hot pink ones, but in blush. I cannot believe what work horses they’ve been for me. On my radar next is a mustard color with a bow ;).

2. Ariss
    June 28, 2018 / 4:39 am

Susan, that red jacket looks amazing on you! May I ask where you got it from?

June 28, 2018 / 6:25 am

Thank you! It was one of the pieces I purchased in Paris.

• Ariss
        June 28, 2018 / 10:03 am

Do make a post about your Paris purchases. If only so we can sigh at them. Lol!

• Marybeth
        July 25, 2018 / 9:18 am

Looks beautiful on you! xo

3. Victoria B.
    June 28, 2018 / 6:29 am

I purchased the Mephisto Lissandra sandals you recommended and wore them for the first time yesterday. I love them! They are amazingly comfortable, especially for a shoe that gives a good amount of height. The black and gold leather I got is really beautiful, and I love the way they are velcro-adjustable on each strap and yet because of the buckles you would never know there was velcro to look at them. I had never worn Mephisto before and can’t thank you enough for bringing this shoe to my attention. While I’m at it, thanks also for the recommendation of the Smartwool socks. You are right – they never slip despite how far I walk in them, yet they are invisible under most shoes.

June 28, 2018 / 6:47 am

I’m so glad to hear that, Victoria! Thanks for letting me know.

4. June 28, 2018 / 6:32 am

I like both these outfits, although the only slides I wear are my Birk Arizonas (perhaps I need to step it up a bit!), but I’m most impressed by how cleverly coordinated that bold outfit is. The colour “clash” of red and pink works so well as both pieces hold their own, and the extravagance of that jacket is both muted and emphasized (I know, that’s contradictory, but so it seems to me) by the simple lines and the quiet shapes and tones of jeans and tee. Plus I can’t imagine another bag that would complement the drama so well — that strong shape in an interesting material is such a perfect neutral colour, and somehow it balances the jacket-sandals drama without adding any “noise.”
    Okay, I might be over-thinking here, but I’d be curious to know whether you considered other bags or instinctively knew this would work — honestly, I think there’s a post here re the process of putting together such a strong outfit that nonetheless doesn’t overwhelm.

5. Shybiker
    June 28, 2018 / 7:03 am

The pink sandals are really cute.

6. Linda
    June 28, 2018 / 8:14 am

Susan, I would add Aquatalia to the list. The styles are elegant in their simplicity, the fit is wonderful, they are supportive, and they last forever. I’m on my feet all day long and swear by their combo of comfort and style.

7. Suz
    June 28, 2018 / 8:23 am

Those pink sandals are lovely. I do not really wear slides as I am often walking or on transit and I don’t “need” another limited use shoes as I already have a few!
    Do you wear your slides mainly for “sitting” activities? (no pun intended!)
    Suz from Vancouver

8. Lyn
    June 28, 2018 / 8:56 am

Oh that jacket! And it’s silk? I love it!! (Want it.) (Need it.)

9. Adrienne
    June 28, 2018 / 9:40 am

I like the “wine and cheese” wrap. Or is it a jacket? I can’t tell, but I’m going to have to keep a lookout for something similar for cover in air-conditioned places during our intense Texas summers. It looks light and breathable and just right!

June 28, 2018 / 9:45 am

Hi Adrienne, thanks; it’s a lightweight cotton wrap/scarf I purchased a few years ago. It’s perfect for some light coverage on warm days!

• Adrienne
        June 29, 2018 / 10:03 am

Thanks! It looks great on you!

10. June 28, 2018 / 9:43 am

I agree with Frances. The brights (especially the magenta) in your new Paris jacket are wonderful companions to those hot pink sandals. Wowzah!

And I agree about buying some sandals in a half size smaller. There’s a lot of scoot-room in that style.

Finally, you inspired me to look for showstopper accessories for summer outfits. On my way home from yoga class this morning I found at my favorite local boutique this bold Echo scarf that looks like it will work year round. https://n.nordstrommedia.com/ImageGallery/store/product/Zoom/16/_103004876.jpg?crop=pad&pad_color=FFF&format=jpeg&w=780&h=1197

11. Rondi
    June 28, 2018 / 10:17 am

I love the jacket and it looks very nice on you. I’m sure its fun to wear! The slides are all so attractive. Thank you for including ZAPPOS. They have some of the best customer service I have ever seen. And also, one of the few shoe stores left that carry narrow sizes. I can usually find something comparable on their site in narrow. Narrow shoes (and wide) are like petites or plus clothing to some. ☺️

12. Swissy
    June 28, 2018 / 11:45 am

Both outfits are perfect, IMHO. The brilliant combo with the jacket is really sensational.

• Vivien
      June 29, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Great linen utility jacket! Wish it came in plus sizes.

13. Jill
    June 28, 2018 / 3:46 pm

I find Hotter shoes and sandals very comfortable and attractive. However, with sandals I normally go up one whole size or half a size as I hate the look of toes hanging over. Love the colors you showed.

14. June 30, 2018 / 1:29 pm

My feet are very narrow, so I find that slides don’t usually fit me well. Fortunately, there are many other styles to choose from. Personally, I’ve always loved gladiator sandals.

Elaine @ Following Augustine