A Few Travel-Friendly Pieces On Sale

Fountaine Saint Michel in 5eme Paris. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

If you have travel planned either this summer or fall, it’s a great time to update and refresh your travel wardrobe. I’ve found a few pieces on sale that have Packable Potential…

Pack Now…

This blue striped midi skirt from Eileen Fisher would be perfect for a warm weather destination. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This easy-breezy longer skirt (with pockets!) could go from day to dinner with a change of accessories.

Nic & Zoe blue linen tunic top. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This pretty blue linen tunic top will keep you cool, and can also be worn open as a light jacket over a tank or tee. Currently 40% off.

Eileen Fisher linen crop pants in rust for summer travel. Details at une femme d'un certain age.These organic linen crop pants are available in Misses, Petites, and Plus, and are currently 30% off. I love this rust color which is very on-trend, but others are available too.

Pack Later…

Via Spiga olive packable raincoat. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A bit of sheen elevates this olive packable raincoat, included in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. It’s available in Misses and Petites.

Kristen Black plus-size packable raincoat in grey. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This soft grey is a versatile and sophisticated option for a packable raincoat in Plus.

Aquatalia weatherproof ankle boot in black leather. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A weatherproof ankle boot is one of my travel must-haves. This one is comfortable and stylish enough to go anywhere.

Black weatherproof boot from Blondo. Budget-friendly as well as travel-friendly! Details at une femme d'un certain age.If you prefer a simpler style, this one is also weatherproof, and more budget-friendly.

Black skinny ponte knit pants with 5-pocket styling. Details at une femme d'un certain age.The best of both worlds: knit fabric and 5-pocket styling. Dress them up or down. Misses and Petites.

Gearing Up…

Tumi deluxe nylon backpack from Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

There are a lot of Tumi items included in the Anniversary sale. If you like to use a backpack as a carry-on or Personal item, this one has a lot of organization and can accommodate up to a 15-inch laptop.

Do you have any travel on your calendar in the next few months? Where are you headed?

1. Ann
    July 24, 2018 / 8:01 am

In the summer that remains and early fall my travel will be limited to domestic (U.S.) trips, since earlier this year I spent all the Euros it’s possible to spend on two fabulous trips to Europe. 🙂

My upcoming trips are to Pittsburgh for a family wedding, beach time on the Outer Banks, and some Halloween dissipation in NOLA, where they know how to do dissipation up royal. 😉

Ann in Missouri

2. P T
    July 24, 2018 / 8:06 am

Like your new photo!

July 24, 2018 / 8:07 am

Thank you! Thought it was about time to update… 😀

3. Elizabeth
    July 24, 2018 / 8:14 am

Your new photo is lovely!
    The booties in this post are great. But, how to wear them with jeans? Tucked in, rolled up pant legs, or shorter cut jeans? The same questions for casual and dress pants-in narrow cut legs. Thanks, Susan.

July 24, 2018 / 8:20 am

I do one of three things: wear with pants that end just above the top of the boot, cuff longer jeans, or place longer narrow pants over the top of the boot. I tend to choose boots that aren’t too wide at the ankle, which I find provides the most versatility.

• Elizabeth
        July 24, 2018 / 8:56 am

Thanks, Susan!

4. Angela
    July 24, 2018 / 8:32 am

Shetland, Highlands of Scotland, and London. No idea yet how to pack for the variety I’ll need! Hiking, sightseeing, and London Theatre in one trip.

• Elizabeth
      July 24, 2018 / 9:10 am

Northern Scotland & the Isles are some of my fav places! Consider a light weight cashmere cardigan, in black or gray, to layer under a waterproof jacket that has a hood. Maybe take a hat that can be scrunched up & stored in purse/knapsack. Black or gray jeans because that region can be windy & damp. I always travel with a light weight silk/cashmere shawl to layer under jackets & wear as evening cover-up for dressy wear. These black/gray pieces transition easily once in London. Be sure to have proper footwear when hiking, yet possibly suitable for exploring London. Enjoy these beautiful areas! Elizabeth

5. July 24, 2018 / 8:36 am

I’m very glad to see Eileen Fisher doing clothes in hemp fabric. It is a lovely, strong and long-lasting material; just needs to get over the stoner connotation. It requires far less water to grow than cotton does. But that colour scheme would work only in the summer here. We need deeper (not necessarily dark) colours here in the autumn.

July 24, 2018 / 11:07 am

Yes, they’re really trying to move toward more sustainable and environmentally friendly fabrics and materials.

• Jeanne J
        July 25, 2018 / 4:55 am

The stretch crepe items I’ve purchased most recently come with a label saying that E.F. is switching to Tencel by 2020. Is this the end of the beloved stretch crepe? I may start stocking up! Do you have any more detail on this?

July 25, 2018 / 7:17 am

I’m not sure but I’ll check with one of my contacts. Tencel will be replacing the viscose, I think, so they should still have a version of this fabric.

6. Jill Ann
    July 24, 2018 / 8:50 am

I could use some fashion advice for my next trip; I am going to a wedding, in Italy! The bride is English and the groom is English & Italian. The wedding is at the end of August, at 4 pm in a village in Chianti, reception to follow. What to wear? The invitation said “elegant dress”, but I know the mother of the bride is not wearing a long gown. I’ve been looking around but haven’t seen anything that appeals to me. I don’t like ruffles or asymmetrical hemlines, and would do sleeveless but not too bare on top. Suggestions?

• July 24, 2018 / 10:28 am

Elegant does not necessarily mean ruffles, sleeveless or overstated in central Italy. It should still be warm then, but a pretty shawl is a good idea as it can get suprisingly chilly in the evening, especially if you are in a hilly area. I’d think a solid colour (your favourite, of course) and make sure that your shoes are comfy enough for a lot of standing.

Is this a church wedding or a civil wedding?

Personally, I’d ask the bride, groom or whatever relatives you are close to for more detailed advice. I’ve attended weddings in Italy, but the couples were in arts, media or academia, so the clothing was smart casual, but Italians are so much “smarter” in their casual dress than most anybody else so I understand your concern. Auguri!

• Jill Ann
        July 25, 2018 / 11:46 am

You’ve nailed it, Lagatta; I can do an American wedding no problem, but am a bit intimidated about the stylish Italians! It is a church wedding, and I do have an ivory lightweight shawl I’m planning to bring. Thinking the solid color with jewelry is the way to go.

July 24, 2018 / 11:06 am

My suggestion would be similar to lagatta’s: a simple dress in a solid color (maybe linen?), and add the “elegance” with some bold jewelry and a wrap for evening. (If you go sleeveless and the ceremony is in a church, you may need to have something to cover your shoulders.)

7. Anon
    July 24, 2018 / 9:03 am

I bought a very similar blue linen shirt with long sleeves. Love it!

8. Sandra
    July 24, 2018 / 1:41 pm

Headed to France for the month of September. Would appreciate your restaurant picks for Lyon and Paris. Thanks, Sue.

9. July 24, 2018 / 4:13 pm

Nice finds, especially the boots but your new photo is FABULOUS!!! Chic and gorgeous!

July 24, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Thank you!

10. Kellee
    July 24, 2018 / 4:25 pm

Love your new photo! I am currently in Quito, Ecuador for a week and then we head to Cuenca in southern Ecuador. Amazingly beautiful city and such friendly people. Planning to hit Paris on my fall break (I teach). I love fall break – I can grade papers in another part of the world! 🙂

11. Dona
    July 24, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Paris for 3 days then a river cruise north to Normandy and then back to Paris, First week in September.

12. citizen spot
    July 25, 2018 / 2:51 pm

I’m planning a fall leaf peeping photography road trip with my sister to the Easter Sierras in early-mid October. ; )
    It is still too early to plan what to pack to wear. But it is never too early to start prepping for high altitude adventures. What monument is that at the top of your post?

• citizen spot
      July 25, 2018 / 3:03 pm

Eastern, not Easter. Doh!

July 25, 2018 / 5:23 pm

😀 It’s the Fontaine Saint Michel in Paris.

13. Joy Johnson
    July 25, 2018 / 5:59 pm

I used your “formula”…classic but with a punch…here in the U.S. on a trip to Nashville TN…an up and coming southern city that is surprisingly cosmopolitan (although touristy, too). Managed to pack everything in a smallish carryon…Thank you, Susan! Heading to Provence/Lyon in the fall and will use the same strategy!

14. Karen
    July 28, 2018 / 7:59 pm

I did spend a full two weeks in Paris in May, never ran out of things to do! Next trip is Door County, WI in Sept. Then Thanksgiving week in Austin and San Antoino, TX. Ending the year with a special trip including Sydney, Australia for Christmas and New Years on a NZ/Australia cruise. I am planning an elegant long navy dress for New Years Eve, summery dresses for days of touring and cruising.