File Under “Never Say Never”

Style blogger Susan B. styles a pair of camo print pants with a linen rust cardigan and metallic sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

How I Styled Camo Print Pants…

In all honesty, most camo print clothing has never really appealed to me. It reminded me too much of hunting or military gear. But I’ve seen a lot of cute outfits lately utilizing this print, and my stance has softened considerably. (It started with a pair of sneakers.)

Wearing: earrings (similar) | cardigan | top | pants |
bracelet (similar) | bracelet (similar) | bag (similar) | shoes

I tried these pants on a whim, and loved them from the get-go. They fit me well, they’re comfortable, and are a fun alternative to denim. Offered in Misses, Petites and Tall sizes. Here’s a very similar pair in Plus.

Summer-to-Fall Transitional Dressing

A lightweight cardigan is a perfect transitional season piece, and an easy way to incorporate some fall color into my wardrobe. This one is budget-friendly, and I was impressed with the quality. I’m wearing “Rust Bossa Nova.” It’s available in several other colors, too. Similar style in Plus.

Detail: gold-tone bracelets and Givenchy Pandora bag. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I kept the rest of the outfit soft and light to balance out the masculine vibe of the camo print. The agate bead bracelet is a promotional item from French Kande: until August 31st it’s only $14 with any purchase of $250 or more. Use code GREAT8 at checkout.

As part of my closet clear out, I’ve been going through bags and accessories that I haven’t used/worn in a while and have been trying to give them another chance. The wrap bracelet is definitely a keeper. It layers nicely with a lot of my other bracelets and looks good on its own. It’s no longer available; here’s something with similar look. The bag didn’t make the cut. I decided I don’t use enough to warrant keeping it, and have sent it off for consignment. (And I think this outfit needs something closer to a taupe color, maybe.)

Detail: style blogger Susan B. wears camo pants and metallic Paul Green sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I’ve had these shoes for a couple of years now, and still love them as much as ever. They’re one of the few pairs of heels over 2″ I can still comfortably wear.

Lip color is Charlotte Tilbury “Stoned Rose.”

I have a few more ideas for styling the pants, so you’ll probably be seeing them again soon.

Is there a print or item you thought you’d “never” wear but have recently warmed up to?

1. Pearl
    August 27, 2018 / 3:15 am

I absolutely love your handbag, and I could splurge and drop $2K on a handbag, but my conscience won’t let me.

2. August 27, 2018 / 4:39 am

The first thing I saw was the orange cardigan, which is gorgeous. I had to look twice, thrice, to make out the camo print. In other words, you look very classy and not at all like you’ve just escaped from the trenches. The shoes help a lot. In fact, this is a great example of high/low dressing.

3. Rose
    August 27, 2018 / 4:45 am

Susan—this looks great on you. Still don’t know if I would wear the camo print mostly because the colors don’t suit my complexion. Love your cardigan in that color with the pants which compliments them beautifully. I have a question about the top—did you find that you would need a cami underneath? The website says it’s ivory but it looks white on the screen. It looks short on the model but perfect length on you—did you purchase petite or regular size?
    Would you ever wear one of your long necklaces with this look?

August 27, 2018 / 6:53 am

Hi Rose, thanks! While the top is a little less opaque than I would prefer, I don’t find it needs a cami underneath as long as I stick with a nude bra. I’m wearing the Petite Small. Yes, I’d wear longer necklaces with this.

4. August 27, 2018 / 5:06 am

What a great outfit, Sue. Love the orange cardigan with the camo pants. Beautiful fall colours.

5. August 27, 2018 / 5:08 am

You look really good in this outfit! I just cannot get my head around camouflage. I would not wear it in a million years!

6. Suzanne Michel
    August 27, 2018 / 5:32 am

I’m with you on camo, I said never for a long time. But last year the owner of my favorite shop convinced me to try an oversized jacket(I was looking for denim). Couldn’t believe I loved it! What you paired them with is great & definitely a step above normal camouflage dressing!

7. August 27, 2018 / 5:33 am

Wow…you just made me reconsider camo-print!! I love this whole look and I have an orange cardigan! Thanks Susan!

8. KimberlyAnne
    August 27, 2018 / 5:44 am

Love this outfit! Looks fantastic on you! Love the colors!

9. Catherine
    August 27, 2018 / 5:55 am

That cardigan is beautiful! For those of us who might not wear camo, I could see this outfit working very well by pairing that cardigan with a solid-color pant in one of the olive colors pulled from the camo print.

10. Elizabeth
    August 27, 2018 / 5:58 am

I am over 60 and just purchased a pair of camo jeans. I LOVE them! Bought them at Nordstrom and they are the most comfortable pants I have ever owned as well as being stylish.
    I think camo pants look great when styled correctly.
    Susan, your outfit is perfect!

11. Cleo
    August 27, 2018 / 6:05 am

Sue-love your longer, choppier hair in this photo! and…I will never wear camo pants, or camo anything. Feel the same about skeletons/skulls.

12. August 27, 2018 / 6:38 am

I bought my first pair of camo pants at Nordstrom this year and love them. I was also slow to appreciate them because the colours aren’t flattering on me but with a pink top, they look great. I think I have the same white blouse you’re wearing. Black also works great with camo. Boomerbroadcast.net

13. August 27, 2018 / 6:41 am

I’m on the fence with camo but I could be persuaded over the coming months. I like khaki for Autumn & never say never 😉

14. P T
    August 27, 2018 / 6:53 am

Well, the pants won’t show stains, that’s for sure. Love the cardigan on you.

15. August 27, 2018 / 6:56 am

Three cheers to the woman that convinced me to wear stripes over the summer. Will I venture out to camo pants….maybe! Love this outfit!

16. Charlotte
    August 27, 2018 / 7:05 am

Super outfit!

17. Lily
    August 27, 2018 / 7:09 am

I will not buy camo. I hope I can explain why. War is not a fun fashion trend.. It is life or death serious, Camo is for soldiers. Just my two cents. You do look cute, as always. You have the best style online!

• August 27, 2018 / 10:51 am

Well since I am a former “soldier”, I hope I can explain the change in my feelings about camo. I didn’t like the print because I associated it with my uniform and, frankly the prints chosen by the military were not very attractive prints for streetwear. Camoflage prints were originally designed to camouflage the troops and blend into the environment, actually a defensive rather than offensive act.

I look at today’s camo as an abstraction of the original uniform and hunting prints. They are better designed and have more attractive coloration, for the most part. For me, today’s camo prints are to military camo as animal prints are to fur or animal skins. They are abstractions which are removed as many other prints are from the original.

18. August 27, 2018 / 7:31 am

Such a fun look – I am reminded that you love fall!

19. Lyn
    August 27, 2018 / 7:36 am

On our last Caribbean cruise, we were warned that camo prints and military clothing were not permitted on several of the islands.

20. Roberta
    August 27, 2018 / 7:45 am

I love the entire look on you, but I really love that cardigan! Susan, would you mind telling me what size you ordered?

August 27, 2018 / 7:52 am

Hi Roberta, thanks! I’m wearing the Petite Small.

21. Anita
    August 27, 2018 / 7:49 am

Susan, I love this on you, gorgeous! I especially love the cardigan, are you wearing a petite? I am 5’2 and always wonder about the length. How did you find the sizing, true to size? Thank you

August 27, 2018 / 7:51 am

Hi Anita, thanks! I’m wearing the Petite Small here. I’d say it was true-to-size.

22. August 27, 2018 / 8:00 am

Ha ha! How fun! I purchased a pair of camo pants against the wishes of my 19 & 22 y.o. daughters! Fortuitously, I found them while thrifting, so it was an easy try-it-out look. I’ve styled mine with a denim shirt, burgundy and teal tops/cardigans. They are so fun, and it’s all about styling to coax out the age appropriateness looks. ;).

23. Cindylou
    August 27, 2018 / 8:32 am

Check you out Susan! Two trends at once! You look fabulous. The rust color suits your coloring and the Camo pants are just right. Well done you.

24. Susanne
    August 27, 2018 / 8:36 am

Love the entire look!
    (Usually on other sites, when I tap an image I’m able to open it and expand the image to see textures, details, etc. But I can’t do that from my phone when I visit your site. )

August 27, 2018 / 8:43 am

Thanks, Susanne. I see what you mean about enlarging the images. I’ll look into that.

25. Nancy
    August 27, 2018 / 8:43 am

I won’t wear the Camo print. Reminds me of hunters killing animals. Love the rest of the look though.

26. Valerie Hurst
    August 27, 2018 / 8:55 am

Not a stitch of black, and you look awesome ! I went completely grey about a two years ago, and have just now come around to accepting that I can still wear bright colors. Unfortunately I gave away many items before realizing that bright jeweled colors look great with grey/white hair.

27. Barb Patragnoni
    August 27, 2018 / 9:05 am

I love this on you. I bought these pants for my daughter. She has gotten less adventurous with fashion since going to college and wanted me to return. I am keeping them for her and may get a pair for myself now! J Crew has 40% off promo if you purchase 4 pair of pants.

28. sophia
    August 27, 2018 / 9:47 am

Adorable!!

29. Rita Blanks
    August 27, 2018 / 9:59 am

I love seeing you in color. I gave up black a few years ago and find with my lighter-colored hair, color just works better on me. It does make it a bit more work putting outfits together, however, so love seeing how you have worked this outfit. I hope you give us more chances seeing how you work outfits together using color instead of blacks.

30. Daniella
    August 27, 2018 / 10:08 am

Finally, a fresh and “chic “ look!!! Keep it going, it makes you years younger!!

31. Parah Coffey
    August 27, 2018 / 10:10 am

One of my all time favorite outfits of yours! You look great! Thoroughly enjoy seeing you in color.

32. Connie
    August 27, 2018 / 10:17 am

Love the camo idea. I would never have thought to consider it but it looks classy on you. For me, it was animal prints. It took a long time for me to take a second look. My daughter bought a pair of leopard print ballerina slippers and they were too tight. Instead of returning them, she gave them to me. I was amazed at what they did to perk up a black top with jeans. Now, they are among my favorite shoes. I might just go try on some of these camo pants and see if anything magical happens.

33. Susan McNeill
    August 27, 2018 / 10:29 am

Yay!!! Thank you for answering the request. I would not have thought of the rust cardigan, but it is fantastic. Glad to see so many have joined the camo brigade.

I will definitely have to check out the camo ban in the islands. I think it may be antiquated. There were comments on travel sites that some islands have it but that it is being reconsidered because of the emerging fashion trend.

34. Karen
    August 27, 2018 / 11:07 am

I love everything about the outfit except the camo pants. My daughter, son, and son-in-law have all been in the military and have worn camo for years so maybe I associate camo too much with a military work uniform. I might like it better with a t-shirt (which is how it is “styled” for the military) and then worn for hiking. I especially like the color of the cardigan and the understated elegance of the bracelets….and those great shoes!!!

35. kay
    August 27, 2018 / 12:52 pm

Camo is not my thing, but I did find a jacket a couple of years ago with a washed out camo print in nontraditional colors, pink, grey, ivory and a very subtle olive green. I really like it.

36. August 27, 2018 / 2:17 pm

I love this whole look on you! Wow. I have a rust and an orange cardi but am looking to buy some more longer cardis or dusters this year as I love the look. I will bookmark these camo pants as they look great and I have wanted a pair. Are they stretchy and soft?
    thanks!
    jess xx

August 27, 2018 / 2:41 pm

Hi Jess, thanks! The pants aren’t super stretchy, but do have some stretch to them.

37. August 27, 2018 / 2:35 pm

I’ve always avoided animal prints, but I now work for a university that has a tiger mascot. I’ve found that a little bit of a tiger stripe really peps up an all-black or a black and grey outfit. Also, since reading your blog I’m not as opposed to small amounts of leopard print as I was formerly. You wear it so well and make it look fun!

38. Jeanne
    August 27, 2018 / 3:50 pm

I have been a fan of camo since last December when I spotted my favorite Jcrew sales lady (late 50s early 60s) wearing the Crew camo tipi sweater with red pants and silver flats. Totally cool and holidayish. .that put me on the hunt. I lucked out and found a madewell camo tee at resale. Then this summer at Nord sale I bought sanctuary camo pants. Darker than the crew ones and a nice light material. Fit great THEN i walked into Jcrew and saw the camo zip bomber sweater. Bought that and not I might be on camo overload lol but that’s ok. All great pieces. I bought your silver camo sneaks and while they look cute I would not walk around Paris all day in them. I wore them to a music festival this weekend and my feet were screaming by days end. Not enough support for me. But They will be cute for errands etc. Glad you are embracing camo!

39. Eva
    August 27, 2018 / 5:05 pm

Give me a camo print in a stripe & I’m sold!! You look fabulous in this outfit!! I think the ‘hunter’ orange is paired wonderfully with the camo & I have a crush on the silver camo sneakers. Great post, as usual.

40. Elle
    August 27, 2018 / 5:06 pm

You really look good in this outfit. The colors are amazing on you; maybe better than the blue you bought in France (which was really good). Your hair is super cute at this length. I ordered the whole outfit.

41. August 27, 2018 / 9:23 pm

Love this look. I recently purchased some black and gray camo pants and have been thinking about how to wear them You look so great ! You have given me the inspiration to go bold but classy.

42. August 27, 2018 / 10:02 pm

I would not have thought of wearing camo print pants, but after seeing you wearing them, I actually think they might be a great addition to my wardrobe! Thanks for the inspiration!

43. FivebyFive
    August 28, 2018 / 4:14 am

Everything looks great — especially the cardigan — except for the shoes. Guess I’m the only one who can’t stand these boot-type shoes with the toe section cut out. They look awful and awkward on everyone. This is one trend that I wish would just die. But I suppose I don’t have to buy them. And I haven’t!

44. Kellee
    August 28, 2018 / 5:06 pm

This outfit is perfection! Love the cardigan – I need to get this ASAP!

45. Jane
    August 28, 2018 / 6:35 pm

One of the best outfits posted. Most flattering with your coloring!

46. Sarah
    August 28, 2018 / 8:22 pm

Ok, I have been reading your blog for several years (and learned quite a bit !), I don’t comment often, but every single time you wear these shoes, my jealous heart skips a beat! They are sooo perfect on your feet ! Love the whole outfit ! Did you have to have the camp pants shortened ? Perfect length with those fab shoes !

August 29, 2018 / 6:20 am

Thanks so much, Sarah! Because these pants were offered in the Petite range, I was able to wear as-is without hemming. 🙂

47. Sarah
    August 28, 2018 / 8:23 pm

Oh, and your hair looks good !!!

48. jodie filogomo
    August 29, 2018 / 10:18 am

Julia just told me you styled camo too, and I had to laugh. Because I felt exactly the same way at first. And now?? It just seem chic!!! Heck, if I can get my 80 year old mother to wear it, it’s got to be good!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

49. Pam
    August 29, 2018 / 10:33 am

Truly amazing casual glam! You really knocked it out of the park – everything – all together from your hair down to your shoes.

50. Chris
    August 29, 2018 / 1:10 pm

After inspiration from your post, I found a similar cotton blend rust cardigan (Abound brand) at Nordstrom Rack for just under $30. Heavier fabric will take me longer into fall here in Midwest. Several other colors, too. I also have fine, straight hair and swear by Big Sexy Hair root pump volumizer. Available at drugstores, Target and discounted at TJ Maxx. My hair would be flat on my head without it! Looking forward to your closet purge report.

51. Holly
    August 30, 2018 / 7:04 am

Hi Susan, I LOVE the whole outfit on you – it’s really beautifully put together, and so flattering! The cardigan is just gorgeous. I think camo-print pants are really cute and stylish, but I’ve always shied away from them because my legs are on the heavier side. If they looked the same on me as they do on you, I’d tear over to the closest J. Crew and buy them. This is off subject, but how do you stay so slim?? 🙂 Really, you look terrific. I’d love to know your diet and exercise routine. I’m a curvy 5’2″ and I’m just not liking the way any of my clothes fit these days. Any tips you have would be sooo appreciated.
    Thanks!!

52. Aniko
    August 30, 2018 / 7:50 am

Hi Susan, your outfit looks great! If you’re changing your bag, I think olive green would add a fabulous touch of color.

53. BeeeBeee
    August 30, 2018 / 7:18 pm

I stumbled across camo this year as I was looking for a summer jacket. I tried one on because it looked like it would match the pants I was wearing at the time. I was stunned at how great it looked on me. So I bought the white camo jacket by Sanctuary, with gray and light olive against a white background. I wear it almost every day when I go out to run errands. It goes very well with all of my summer neutrals.

54. Christine Reynaud
    September 8, 2018 / 12:25 pm

Love this outfit!
    Looking for some subtle grey camoprint jeans at the moment…. to no avail

55. Lynn
    October 11, 2018 / 10:01 pm

I just bought a pair of camo print pants because of this post. At 52, I thought I was too old. I’m not and I love them. Thanks for the inspiration.