When The Pieces Just Fall Into Place

Style blogger Susan B. wears a camel sweater coat and forest green bag. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Playing Favorites

What can I say? Sometimes an outfit just comes together without a lot of second-guessing. I love it when that happens!

I think this sweater jacket is going to be a workhorse in my wardrobe. It’s perfect for our climate and is an easy piece to throw on and look polished. (Here’s another outfit with the same style in Burgundy.)

Scarf (similar) | Sweater | Top | Jeans | Bag | Ring | Boots

It was quite breezy the afternoon we took these photos, as you can tell from my hair!

Detail: style blogger Susan B. wears a DeMellier bag and leopard print boots. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

I’m absolutely smitten with this DeMellier bag…both the color and design. That dark forest green goes with everything, and it’s a perfect day-to-night bag.

These leopard print boots replace another pair that I’ve had for a few years now. (My old pair were always a little pinchy in the toes, and the hair has worn off in spots.) I really like the softer, low-contrast print on these.  That low heel makes them very comfortable too. I’m wearing my usual size 7½…if your foot is wide, you might want to go up ½ size.

Style blogger Susan B. wears an Hermés scarf and DeMellier bag. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

The scarf is Hermés, the “vintage” size, purchased several years ago. I like how the colors tie the rest of the look together.

Photos by Tannaz Photography.

What are your favorite Fall pieces?

Linked up: #iwillwearwhatilike

1. September 24, 2018 / 4:14 am

I always love looking at the outfits you put together! And your photographer does a great job!! I peruse through a few fashion blogs and yours is more like a magazine photo-shoot! Some look like their grandson snapped the shot! But yours are SO PROFESSIONAL! Good job, Tannaz! But then good job, Susan B, also!! I’m sure it helps the photographer out, that you know what you’re doing and know how to “pose” with such natural ease!

September 24, 2018 / 8:59 am

Thanks so much, Kathy! She does do such a good job. I sometimes have to photograph myself with a tripod and remote when she’s not available, and really appreciate the added dimension having a photographer provides!

2. September 24, 2018 / 4:15 am

Love this look and would completely wear it! I am discussing long cardigans today as well!

September 24, 2018 / 8:57 am

Thanks, Pam!

3. Elisabeth Mestlin
    September 24, 2018 / 4:21 am

Love those boots,I live in the IE .anything but a Blouse with long Sleeves is to hot .

September 24, 2018 / 8:59 am

Thanks, Elisabeth!

4. Dianne
    September 24, 2018 / 4:28 am

You have inspired me to purchase a couple of long cardigans, but how do you recommend storing them? Do you fold them or hang them? I’m especially wondering about linen. Will they grow longer if hanging?

September 24, 2018 / 8:53 am

Hi Diane, Thanks! Here’s how I hang/store all of my sweaters and cardigans: How to Hang a Sweater

• Dianne
        September 24, 2018 / 9:12 am

Brilliant! Thank you so much!

5. Téa
    September 24, 2018 / 4:41 am

speaking of Hermés scarves – the tag says “dry clean only” – is that how you care for yours, Susan?? Please advise. I used to only wear it for “special occasions”, but now wear it with abandon – it makes me feel great!

September 24, 2018 / 7:07 am

Hi Téa, actually I posted about this a few months back: Hermes Scarves Makeovers. I now wash mine in a lingerie bag on the gentle cycle. Or you can wash by hand. I like how it softens up the silk a little bit.

Wearing a beautiful scarf is such a pleasure!

• September 24, 2018 / 12:02 pm

I’ve always washed silk by hand. As a merchant of South Asian origin reminded me “there is no dry cleaning in India”. This was over 30 years ago, and I’m sure there is dry cleaning, but fine scarves are probably still hand-washed.

• Téa
          September 25, 2018 / 5:26 am

That makes perfect sense. The “dry clean” tag is definitely a modern invention. I’m going to throw caution to the wind and give Hermey a dip! Thanks for the comment!!

• Christi
            September 25, 2018 / 12:16 pm

I’ve washed my Hermès and other fine silk scarves by hand with great success. If you google it you’ll find lots of tips. I find Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo and a bit of white distilled vinegar in the rinse water to work best. Be careful not to flatten the rolled hems when you press them. Good task for a lazy afternoon!
            Susan, can you clarify the or 90 centimeters? Outfit looks smashing!

September 25, 2018 / 12:20 pm

Hi Christi, it’s the 70 cm.

6. Rose
    September 24, 2018 / 4:53 am

Hi Susan—another great outfit. The sweater jacket doesn’t come in petites and wondering what size your ordered and did you find the proportions off for you? Would you remove this sweater/jacket once you reach your destination? in the Midwest where it’s much colder and snowier than your winters, so wondered if this would be ok to wear under a coat and treating it more like a sweater, soft blazer look?

September 24, 2018 / 7:05 am

Hi Rose, thanks! I’m wearing the XS. It fits me well through the shoulders but is a full piece. I find that if I wear it with slightly more fitted pieces underneath, that makes the proportions work. Hard to answer about wearing underneath winter outerwear, it might be a little to heavy for that unless it’s really cold where you are.

7. Kaarina
    September 24, 2018 / 6:07 am

Hi Susan

Yes, another great outfit! I’m wondering also if you ordered petite. I’m 5’3” 120 lbs, regtangular shape, almost no defined waist. Size S should fit. Too bad there is no time to get it delivered before leaving to Paris on Wednesday…for the first time. So excited. Thanks for your travel blog tips

September 24, 2018 / 7:03 am

Hi Kaarina, thanks! If you’re referring to the top, I’m wearing a Petite Small. The sweater coat isn’t offered in Petites and I’m wearing the XS.

8. September 24, 2018 / 6:13 am

Great outfit! Love the bag and yes, forest green bags go with all.

September 24, 2018 / 9:00 am

Thanks so much!

9. September 24, 2018 / 6:45 am

This is wonderful — a look that expresses you so well, with the clean classic lines and the long column of a neutral colour but with such a playful use of print and texture and colour in
    just the right proportions!

September 24, 2018 / 9:00 am

Thanks very much, Frances!

10. September 24, 2018 / 6:49 am

So pretty. And that sweater is a great way to get the 3/4 “camel hair coat” look, for the West Coast and transitional temperatures.

September 24, 2018 / 9:02 am

Thanks, Lisa! Yes, this is a great way to get that look in a milder climate.

11. SuD
    September 24, 2018 / 6:50 am

Lovely cohesive outfit. Curious, is that a warm or cool beiges? It looks warmer on the J.Crew page.

September 24, 2018 / 7:01 am

Hi Sud, it’s just a *little* warmer than last year’s version, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s neutral, neither warm nor cool.

12. September 24, 2018 / 6:54 am

Thanks so much for turning me on to the J. Crew sweater jacket. I got it in the bordeaux and camel. They are wonderful! Incredible quality and stylish fit. These will get heavy rotation in my wardrobe this fall, for sure.

September 24, 2018 / 9:02 am

Thanks, Susie! Aren’t they fabulous?

13. Jeanne
    September 24, 2018 / 6:55 am

Hi, I’m curious to know if the blouse is see through? Also, was the blouse true to size? Thanks!
    Love the purse & boots!

September 24, 2018 / 7:00 am

Hi Jeanne, the blouse isn’t opaque, but it’s not too sheer for me to wear without a camisole. It is TTS; I’m wearing the Petite Small. Thanks!

14. Holly Beaver
    September 24, 2018 / 7:10 am

Love your outfit. However I’m having trouble with the link to your Denim Edit column.

September 24, 2018 / 7:56 am

Hi Holly, thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience. Here’s a link to that post: Fall Denim Edit

15. Lyn
    September 24, 2018 / 7:47 am

What is the Hermes “vintage” size?
    I got one new several years ago – 15″ square.. I prefer rectangular scarves, but there is something about having a real Hermes. It goes with me to France, and I always feel that it helps me look less touristy.

September 24, 2018 / 7:53 am

Hi Lyn, I don’t have the scarf handy at the moment, but it’s a smaller size than the standard carrés, I think about 27″x 27″. They don’t seem to sell that size anymore.

16. Anon
    September 24, 2018 / 8:25 am

I live in a cold place and wear long cardigans with my winter coat. The thing is, I have more than one winter coat, since winter lasts eight months, and there are different degrees of cold. I like coats that are long enough to cover a cardigan, so nothing shorter than a three-quarter length (car coat). One of my coats is a lightweight high-tech version, but good to -25 C. This one has enough room for cardigsns, without getting too hot. It breathes. It is slightly shaped so it doesn’t look “Michelin Man”. At a certain point, the more layers, the better. Needless to say, I open my coat while grocery shopping, etc.

I can’t imagine style blogging in a climate like this!

September 24, 2018 / 9:03 am

I would probably find a very cold climate challenging as well. It sounds like you’ve worked it out well, though.

17. Jeanette
    September 24, 2018 / 9:41 am

Hi Susan,
    Love your blog! Your outfits are very inspiring, especially for petite women! Would you be open to a post about the different style jeans and the right hemlines?! Your pant lengths always look perfect. I am constantly struggling with the right lengths. Also if you purchase a regular length and how you keep the “look” of the pant after hemming. Thank you for your excellent blog!

18. September 24, 2018 / 12:05 pm

By the way, I loved the deep forest green of that bag. I’m glad that colour is in vogue and looking for clothes in it…

19. Lee Rosenthall
    September 24, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Great timing! I ordered the same sweater following your original post about it, and it wasn’t packed very nicely (at least compared to what I’m accustomed to from other retailers). Just thrown in a box in a plastic bag, so it arrived quite wrinkled.

I ordered a new steamer (along with one for my son away at college!), but it makes me wonder about how to properly care for this sweater – do you typically fold them or use a padded hanger? Although I much prefer to hang clothing (I’m lazy!), I worry about heavy sweaters like this becoming stretched or misshapen.

Love the outfit, by the way. That bag makes me positively green with envy! 😉

20. September 24, 2018 / 2:11 pm

Hi Susan
    Love the look! I have a sweater coat and I wear it all of the time.. it is black, so I do love the camel color more that you are wearing. The pine green is a favorite of mine, I have a RM bag in this shade and it isnt easy to find. Love the style of your bag. Great look with the leopard and the neck scarf.
    jess xx

21. Angela
    September 24, 2018 / 2:41 pm

Casual AND polished. Simply stunning!

22. Katherine C. James
    September 24, 2018 / 5:22 pm

Fabulous outfit! This may be my favorite outfit I’ve ever seen in one of your posts. All the pieces complement each other, and the scarf and bag simultaneously make it interesting and draw it together. Love the boots, full stop, and love the jeans with the boots. Short boots with jeans is one of my favorite things about autumn.

23. Gloria N.
    September 24, 2018 / 5:59 pm

Wow! A lot of things going on here! Height chopped into too many sections, You have always talked about simplicity equaling sleekness and a quality look. Featuring one element,,,,or two? This look is busy and has so many different elements.

• RachelinOz
      September 25, 2018 / 1:31 am

That’s interesting Gloria. I don’t see that. To me, Susan’s hair, jacket and boots reads as one element, the scarf and bag as a second, and the top and jeans as a third. I love it! Probably wouldn’t so much if the bag and scarf were in tan tones…maybe Susan could do a side by side, then we’d appreciate how cleverly this version is pulled together.

24. Daniella
    September 25, 2018 / 1:33 am

The cardigan looks great but the jeans don’t cut it. Not a very polished look. Perhaps a darker shade and a better cut would look better and more “chic”. Of course, this opinion will not pass muster and be published.as it appears that only laudatory comments pass on in your blog, but this way nobody gets a perspective that may be “out of the box”.

September 25, 2018 / 7:17 am

Hi Daniella, I know you’re not a fan of jeans in general. 😉 I chose this lighter wash intentionally as I wanted to create a lower contrast base to allow the accessories to “pop.” À chacun à son goût, as they say.

25. September 27, 2018 / 5:51 am

I love it when things just fall into place and this outfit feels both pulled-together and effortless. Love the boots, great heel height.

26. September 27, 2018 / 11:10 am

What a terrific combination. Indeed the scarf pulls everything together. All different things, structures and colours going on in the outfit, yet it all contributes to a very interesting and elegant outfit. Well done. That brand for the bags…. mouthwatering. Sooo nice. And in England (no customs to pay for me).
    Greetje

27. BeeeBeee
    September 29, 2018 / 2:04 am

I really like this look. I know you wear a lot of black and while you wear it well, I think the light neutrals really suit you much better. The scarf adds a nice bit of needed color and I like the way you incorporated those colors into the other elements of your ensemble. I LOVE the purse and hope to find one in that color at a lower price point.