A Fall Travel Wardrobe With Navy

Building a fall travel wardrobe using navy and browns. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

One of the reasons I often include so much black in my own travel wardrobes is because it’s easy. Easy to find pieces that pack and travel well, and easy to mix and match. But I’ve had several requests for travel wardrobes that aren’t based on black, so decided to challenge myself to create one* without any black at all.

Fall Travel Wardrobe Starter Kit

Sweater | Jacket | Jacket
Shirt | Tee | Shirt | Sweater
Jeans | Brown Pants | Navy Pants | Dress
Boots | Sneakers | Flats

This travel wardrobe capsule is based on navy and soft browns. All of the tops work with all of the bottoms, and any of the cardigans/jackets in the top row should work with any of the tops in the second row, or with the dress. Depending upon your destination and weather, you may want to adjust the weight of some of the pieces, but simple styles that layer easily will be most versatile.

Consider this a “Starter Kit.” The capsule above doesn’t include accessories or outerwear. (Check out my post “A Few Ideas For Your Fall Travel Wardrobe” for some outerwear recommendations.)

You can always add more pieces, as well as using accessories to add more color, pattern and texture. For example…

Fall travel outfit with navy base, brown accessories. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Scarf | Watch | Bag

Fall travel outfit with navy, burgundy and leopard print. Details at une femme d'un certain age.Earrings | Bracelet | Bag

What neutrals do you usually pack for travel?

*I don’t actually own most of these pieces. I selected items for this collage based on style, cut and color to provide ideas and inspiration.

1. September 18, 2018 / 4:14 am

The brown and beige are really nice with the navy. And the burgundy, too–it’s more autumnal than red.

2. Lisa B
    September 18, 2018 / 6:00 am

Thanks so much for the post on navy. It’s made me rethink my fall/winter wardrobe. Ordered a blouse I normally would’ve ordered in black in Coastal., VINCE’s name for navy. On another note, wishing VINCE offered petite sizing. Great fall dresses and skirts with lovely asymmetric pleating but all much too long.

September 18, 2018 / 6:32 am

I wish they did too! I love Vince, but most of their clothing just swamps me.

3. September 18, 2018 / 6:56 am

My spring/summer travel wardrobe was based on navy and olive, but I haven’t yet given much thought to what I’ll be packing this fall — should get on that soon though! The palette you’ve put together is great — it’s got me dreaming of a navy pleated skirt and whether, if I found/bought one, I could wear it with my brown cashmere v-neck. . . and navy with my new pale-pink oxfords. . . hmmm. . .

• September 18, 2018 / 7:31 am

Navy with pink oxfords floats my boat:).

• Heather M
        September 18, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Agree! Love brown and navy together.

4. Elizabeth
    September 18, 2018 / 7:37 am

Susan, this is the best travel wardrobe you have posted! I’m off to Austria next week and am still working out what to pack. Your picks are just what I need to help settle some decisions between “this one” or “that one”. The weather is still quite warm in the Vienna area, so I’ll have to consider including a light top and a pair of light khaki and/or beige ankle pants and sandals. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated. Thanks!

5. Sheri
    September 18, 2018 / 7:57 am

I am in love with this travel wardrobe! Now I need to plan a trip!!

6. Kathleen Ludgate
    September 18, 2018 / 8:54 am

Susan, I love the navy! Think I could pull this together from my current wardrobe.

7. Jill
    September 18, 2018 / 3:12 pm

Navy and brown equals an interesting combination. Would you please do an article about using dark brown as the main color for a travel wardrobe.

8. September 18, 2018 / 4:46 pm

I like the colors in this travel wardrobe!

I usually stick to black, white and some pops of color for my travel wardrobe. I have lots of black and white pieces in my wardrobe, so it’s easy. But it does get a bit boring at times…

9. Agnes
    September 18, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Check-out the J.Crew “Going Out” blazer in Navy. Love it as an alternative to the J.Crew blazer above.

10. September 18, 2018 / 9:37 pm

I’m in the process of perusing my closet and planning a travel capsule much like this one for our upcoming trip to the BC coast! I think my colours will be mainly navy, grey, and cream.

11. Cindy
    September 19, 2018 / 4:30 am

Love, love, love the uniglo compact jacket – I have three and take one everywhere. So lightweight, pack down to nothing, and warmer than a sweater but never too hot.

12. Cindy
    September 19, 2018 / 6:23 am

Thank you so much for doing a navy wardrobe! Black ages me, so I chose navy and taupe as my capsule colors a couple of years ago. I stray a bit now and then, but I now always take a smaller suitcase than my husband. 😉 Love the deep burgundy pop; I just bought a sweater that color. I will consider some brown after seeing your choices.

13. Ann in Missouri
    September 19, 2018 / 1:17 pm

Usually I choose black and white as my travel basics. But right now I’m visiting Great Rapids, Michigan, for their fall arts festival, ArtPrize Ten.

And rather shockingly, this trip I packed browns, navy, denim, and numerous shades of tan, rust, orange, burgundy, olive, white, as well as (blush) some black and white to fall back on.

At the center of this travel trousseau are dark brown Eileen Fisher slacks and a dark brown EF crepe zip-up jacket, my trusty 501s, and a Uniqlo navy ultra light collarless parka and a Uniqlo navy raincoat.

I think we’re all feeling a love for navy and brown this fall.

14. Anon
    September 19, 2018 / 5:52 pm

I started following your blog when you were planning a fall travel wardrobe for a trip to Lake Como. This is very different. It’s fictional, but very do-able. I have the brown ankle booties, and navy, so now it’s time to put them together.

15. DLP
    September 22, 2018 / 6:20 am

I am planning a trip to Spain, Portugal and Paris in November and think I have found my perfect travel wardrobe!!! I am an autumn and have some similar pieces, but will be ordering some of your suggestions asap!! Thanks so much – love your blog!

16. Debra
    September 22, 2018 / 9:26 am

Susan, would you ever consider doing a post featuring no-cruelty options such as faux leather and down alternative fillers? There are many vegans out here and our passion for cruelty free living often reaches beyond the kitchen. Thank you!