Fall Dress Rehearsal

Style blogger Susan B. wears a J.Crew sweater-jacket, leopard print scarf and denim. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A Taste Of Fall…

I’ve learned better than to think it will last, but for the past several days we’ve been enjoying some cooler, overcast weather. Cool enough, even, for a light sweater. So I thought I’d take advantage to style this new “sweater-blazer” without sweltering in the process.

Sweater | Earrings | Top | Scarf (similar) | Bracelet |
Bag (similar) | Jeans (similar) | Shoes (similar)

As with most of my outfits these days, this one is a mix of new and older pieces. One of the beauties of building up a cohesive wardrobe over time is that one or two new pieces can breathe some new life into my old favorites.

I just love this sweater! It’s comfortable and drapes nicely. This is the Burgundy color; I also bought the Heather Khaki which is a wonderful neutral. I’m wearing X-Small.

Details: style blogger Susan B. wears a burgundy sweater-jacket with French Kande bracelet and Balenciaga bag. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Accessories

The leopard print scarf is several years old. I can’t remember exactly when I bought it, but I do remember it was from Ann Taylor. It’s still one of my favorite scarves, and another example of how a little leopard print goes a long way in an outfit.

The French Kande bracelet is from a prior collection. I wear this one often.

I’ve worn those shoes so often over the last couple of years that they’re starting to look rather beat up. So no close-up. 😉 The bag just keeps getting better with age…softer and smooshier.

Any new fall items you’re looking forward to wearing once the weather cools off?

1. Maggie
    September 7, 2018 / 3:21 am

Hi Susan,

FYI – Angelus has a suede cleaner called “Easy Cleaner.” I have not tried it yet.

Regards,

September 7, 2018 / 6:12 am

Thanks for the tip, Maggie! I’ll check it out.

2. September 7, 2018 / 6:08 am

This is one of my favorite looks. I adore the burgundy topper, scarf and a little bit of ruggedness in the handbag. I may need to get another leopard scarf as the one I have seems a bit tired. ;).

September 7, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Thanks so much, Kim!

• September 8, 2018 / 5:18 am

I love bags that have some “vécu” (that have been “lived in”). Bet Jane Birkin does too!

3. Laurel Hill
    September 7, 2018 / 6:10 am

I have at least four leopard scarves and am looking forward to wearing them as it cools off. Also always love to dig out my suede booties and sweaters. Love the season change!

September 7, 2018 / 1:21 pm

Me too! Even if the weather won’t stay cool, it’s fun to break out some fall colors.

4. Lyn
    September 7, 2018 / 7:44 am

You take such great pictures! I’m going to have to try out your pose. I think the feet are the key to appearing long and lean. My photo pose gives me the Little Teapot look – short and stout! (In the interest of accuracy, I will admit to being short. But the camera adds 20 pounds.)

September 7, 2018 / 7:45 am

Thanks, Lyn!

5. Jan Whichard
    September 7, 2018 / 7:53 am

The photos on J Crew are with the black sweater so I can’t see how shaped or how boxy this is. Looks pretty big on you but is it more shaped in the back or no? Good color. I have last year’s camel color and it is a bit shapeless I find.

September 7, 2018 / 7:55 am

Hi Jan, if you click on one of the other color choices on the website, you can see the other colors modeled. The shape of this cardigan is pretty straight, but because it drapes nicely, it doesn’t feel boxy.

6. Jo
    September 7, 2018 / 8:01 am

I’d appreciate you commenting on your Vince Camuto ivory top you are wearing under the sweater.
    Does it have stretch? Is the texture like a synthetic silk? Does it fall nicely or get static cling? I am also 5’1-2″ and would like to know where it falls on your hip line.
    Thank you!

September 7, 2018 / 9:23 am

Hi Jo, it does not have a lot of stretch. It has a very silky feel. I’ve only worn it a few times and haven’t noticed any static, but our weather hasn’t been dry lately, which is when I have more static issues. This top is a Regular size XS, and hits me a little below the hip (I’m 5’1″.)

7. Lily
    September 7, 2018 / 8:41 am

Cool enough today to bring out a fall scarf and it is driving me crazy! It’s a slinky material and it won’t stay adjusted. This one is going in the donation bag.

September 7, 2018 / 9:20 am

Slinky scarves can be tricky. I’ll be doing a post soon on fall scarves, and will be sure to include options with fabric that “grabs.”

8. September 7, 2018 / 8:44 am

Love this piece. I have been debating whether to purchase. How is the weight for So Cal? Our climate is mild here on the Central Coast and I find I don’t wear heavy sweaters much.

September 7, 2018 / 9:08 am

Hi Cindy, I think the weight is such that you’d be able to wear from late October well into Spring. If you live near the coast, you might wear even more often when the fog rolls in. (I remember many chilly summer days in Morro Bay!)

9. Anon
    September 7, 2018 / 8:53 am

Thank you for showing a burgundy that has some life to it. This shade is wearable for many complexions.

(I told my son that burgundy is the “it” color for fall, so he should pack his burgundy sweaters for university. He said, “You follow fashion?” Sigh.)

Love the outfit.

September 7, 2018 / 1:22 pm

Thanks, Anon. This burgundy has a nice richness. Kids… 😉

10. Lee Rosenthall
    September 7, 2018 / 8:57 am

Love the outfit! What shape is the scarf, Susan?

September 7, 2018 / 9:19 am

Thanks, Lee! The scarf is oblong.

11. September 7, 2018 / 9:01 am

Oh, I love the Balenciaga! I’m a bit of an addict. There might be just a few in my closet! Can’t resist.
    It’s a problem….
    😉

September 7, 2018 / 1:23 pm

I can relate! They’re such nice lightweight bags.

12. Rondi
    September 7, 2018 / 9:20 am

I love the size of the scarf! I like to wear my scarves the way you do in this photo. Just drapped around my neck or tied loosely toward the bottom. Some of the huge scarves just overwhelm me.

September 7, 2018 / 1:23 pm

Thanks, Rondi!

13. Nancie
    September 7, 2018 / 10:26 am

I clean my light colored suede shoes with a disposable face cleansing towel. These are effective on make up or other dirt left on clothing too.

September 7, 2018 / 1:24 pm

I’ll give it a shot, thanks for the tip!

14. September 7, 2018 / 11:55 am

You make a brilliant point (as usual) that a couple of new pieces can bring new life to your existing wardrobe – LOVE THAT!
    Love burgundy for Autumn too, oh especially paired with forest green 😉

September 7, 2018 / 1:25 pm

Thanks, Michelle! Fall is the one season that really makes me want to wear more color.

15. Anita
    September 7, 2018 / 1:03 pm

I think you look stunning in the burgundy sweater.

September 7, 2018 / 1:05 pm

Thanks, Anita!

16. Ariss
    September 8, 2018 / 6:31 am

That burgundy jacket looks great on you. Adds warmth to your skin tone.

I am thinking of buying it. But do you think it would be suitable for cold weather? Colder than your part of the US.

September 8, 2018 / 6:51 am

Hi Ariss, thanks! That’s a tough question for me to answer. I’d say it’s more a fall weight than winter weight. You could layer another sweater underneath it pretty easily.

17. Turner
    September 8, 2018 / 10:11 am

I was in Ann Taylor yesterday and they have some nice animal print scarves

18. September 9, 2018 / 9:11 am

I love the burgundy colour. That jacket/cardi looks good on you. I better stick to brighter colours. I think. Next week I will show a demure, earth colour green dress on the blog. Don’t know about it….
    Greetje

September 9, 2018 / 10:32 am

Thanks so much, Greetje! You really do look fantastic in bright colors. I’m curious to see your “earth color” dress… 🙂