Dress-N-Boots!

Dress-N-Boots is rapidly becoming something of a workday uniform. How did I live for so many years without a single dress in my wardrobe??  The top two dresses are from Karina Dresses, both are “Megan” style. I really love these dresses. You can’t beat them for comfort, ease and flattery. If you haven’t perused the online shop recently, they’ve recently added a lot more styles and fabrics! And don’t forget to use discount code FEMM30 for $30 off any full-priced dress.
Realized as I was editing photos that my glasses were crooked, which makes me look demented. Note to self: check photos more closely before putting the camera away.

I bought a new remote for the camera this weekend, when the first cheapie one stopped working after less than two weeks. New one is smaller, but much more persnickety. By the time I took this picture, I was getting rather frustrated trying to get it pointed at the right angle to get the shutter to fire.

This sweater dress and leggings are from Eileen Fisher. Dress here. Scarf is from J.Crew, last year. I was hoping they’d offer this style again this year so I could pick up in another color, but no luck.

And speaking of color…
On Saturday I took the plunge and had a Personal Color Analysis done by a SciArt trained consultant, Julia Dupps of Wish Wardrobe Consulting. I’ve been trying to incorporate more color into my wardrobe, but kept feeling that the colors I was choosing were missing the mark. The PCA is a two hour process. You’re seated in front of a mirror with two full-spectrum lights, and wear a grey drape and shower cap to eliminate the color influence from clothing and hair. This is all about the impact of colors on skin and face. Through a process of elimination she compares the effect of various color drapes on the skin. What was amazing to see is how certain colors can make one look splotchy and tired or conversely smooth, creamy and vibrant. I was shocked to see that the warm, yellow-based colors I’ve been wearing are NOT the best for me, after decades of believing that my skin tone is warm (peach, which I’ve always thought was one of my “best” colors, turned me orange and emphasized my brown discolorations). Turns out my coloring is neutral to slightly cool, though there are some warm influences. My “season” in the SciArt system is Light Summer, and I’m delighted with the colors in this palette…lots of greens and blues, a soft merlot, a few purples and pinks. So look for more color in coming months. Some good news: many of the taupe and lighter grey neutrals I’ve been accumulating the last couple of years are right in my palette, so my wardrobe foundation is still wearable with my new colors. What’s also interesting, is that a couple of pieces I’d bought recently despite believing they “weren’t my colors,” turned out to be spot-on with colors in my new Light Summer palette! I feel as though I’m seeing everything with new eyes, and am really looking forward to incorporating and wearing these fresh colors.
Check out the rest of Visible Monday over at Not Dead Yet Style!
~

All original content property of https://unefemmenet.wpengine.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 United States License.

Stay in touch.

1. Anonymous
    December 5, 2011 / 11:48 am

Interesting!

I was similarly surprised to find out that I am a soft autumn. That means that cobalt blue–a color I have always liked, although I don’t wear it much–makes me look like death warmed over.

In my case, the effect of unflattering colors is to bring out the lines around my mouth and my dark circles! I found I can’t “unsee” this color analysis, so I ended up clearing some things out of my wardrobe, including two blue sweaters and a berry cashmere shawl. Do you plan to purge?

Velma

2. Luna
    December 5, 2011 / 1:37 pm

Wonderful news, Pseu!! It is great to know for sure and surrender to the color pursuit with abandon. I think you are going to delight us with your color/style choices :))

3. December 5, 2011 / 2:35 pm

I really like the Eileen Fisher ensemble on you. Her line has become my go to clothing this fall.

4. December 5, 2011 / 3:11 pm

I too love EF’s dresses and the way they drape. This looks fabulous on you, esp with the lovely scarf.

I’d like to have my colors “done” as well. I did it in the 80’s and was told I was a “Winter”, but I don’t think so, at least not now in my 50’s. Those jewel tones are too harsh against my face.

Thanks so much for linking up to Visible Monday, and have a lovely day!

5. Debbie Fox
    December 5, 2011 / 3:44 pm

Wow…I would have guessed you as a light spring or soft autumn! I think I better go get my colors done, as I think we have very similar coloring. I have always loved your color and wardrobe choices. You always look so chic and pulled together!

6. December 5, 2011 / 4:39 pm

I particularly like the first look. The boots make the outfit. Interesting about your colour analysis. Will you be considering a change in your hair colour?

7. December 5, 2011 / 5:46 pm

I think we have the same camera…Canon Rebel Si? My clicker poops out on me all the dang time. I have to replace the battery on a regular basis and it’s not an easy battery to find. My husband advised me to take the battery out each time after I use it to save the energy.

I like the way you are wearing your grey scarf. It looks lovely on you.

As far as having my colors done, I’ve never done it. I think someday I will, but for now I am having a hard enough time finding clothes to fit my tall stature that adding lots of color rules would drive me batty!

8. December 5, 2011 / 7:10 pm

Ha ha! I dig your “angry” picture. And it reminds me I really need to get a remote.

9. Anonymous
    December 5, 2011 / 7:10 pm

I was very interested to hear about your color analysis. The system you used is fascinating me more and more. I’m looking forward to your future pix with more WIW posts!

10. December 5, 2011 / 7:39 pm

You totally own the dress/boot; that cut is perfect on you. As for the colours, you have me ready to haul out my ancient colour palette and look for a new expert; the last one was done so long ago I think the person is dong colours for angels.

11. December 5, 2011 / 7:40 pm

Nordstrom’s has a lovely cashmere “eyelash” scarf very similar to the one in the photo. In years past at least, it’s been offered in tons of colors.

12. California Girl
    December 5, 2011 / 12:08 pm

The color analysis sounds fun. I’d like to do it too to see where I am at this point in my life. For years I thought I was “Fall” with my yellow-olive toned skin, dark brown hair & eyes. I am pretty sure I’m a “Winter” now. Do not know if I’ve changed or mis-diagnosed back in the 80s. Yes. It was the 80s when CA was first big.

I like the last photo of you. You’ve struck a very flattering pose. As for looking “demented”, you’re much to hard on yourself. (Aren’t we all?)

13. kathy peck
    December 5, 2011 / 1:01 pm

Must be interesting to have your colors done. Not sure it would work for me though – I don’t know that I’d adhere to the choices made. Well, I wear mostly neutrals anyway, and I think I do know what colors (if I choose any) I look good in.

14. metscan
    December 5, 2011 / 1:34 pm

I believe, that some people have natural ” eye ” for colors, just like some people have natural ” ear ” for music.
    Colors are interesting. Just a hue of something mixed in some basic color, might make the world of difference.
    I think, that you just have to change the colors that come near your face, not your whole wardrobe : ).

15. Frugal Scholar
    December 5, 2011 / 1:36 pm

Colors are so hard. Luckily, i have a colleague who is talented in this. She helped me pick out two tanks from J Jill (on-line). I think I’m going to continue with my neutrals and dark colors and get some scarves.

Speaking of which, esp love your last look!

16. December 6, 2011 / 12:38 am

You OWN this look — the dress-boots combo is fabulous on you. I’m loving these Karina dresses.
    As for the colours, I’d be curious to see what a colour specialist said about me. For many, many years I thought of myself (and was once told I was) a summer — I wore cool pastels and avoided most warmer shades. Now, though, I’m finding I can wear colours I thought were impossible, and am not sure if I changed, with age, or if I was mistaken all those years. Fascinating. You’ve got a wide enough base of neutrals that you can probably make some effective adaptation with scarves, etc.

17. December 6, 2011 / 1:01 am

Ive always been fascinated by the color analysis stuff. Lots of people were mis-diagnosed back in the day, I see. Usually you are drawn to the colors in your own pallette–but not always. I’m sure you have a better understanding now!
    Anyway–you look great in the Karina dress~

18. Pam @ over50feeling40
    December 5, 2011 / 5:03 pm

I would love to have my colors done…I am certain I make many wrong choices..but spending money to have this done just would not be possible right now…it does sound like fun though. I LOVE the EF outfit and would wear it in a heartbeat…but I also really like the top karina dress…it is such a flattering cut! Great choices…I am so glad you have begun to feature yourself in your posts!

19. Chicatanyage
    December 5, 2011 / 6:08 pm

Well done in having your colours done. It should make a big difference in co-ordinating your wardrobe going forward not to mention you looking even more sparkly. I am not familiar with the Sci Art system. I originally trained in the “Your true colours system” in the UK over 20 years ago. I must say from your photos and your hair colour I might have put you as a soft Autumn but it is too difficult to tell from just a photo you have to get up close and personal. Good luck with it.

20. December 6, 2011 / 4:14 am

@Anonymous Velma, Soft Autumn was what I thought I was, and it’s a lovely palette. And yes, it’s amazing how the “wrong” colors have those effects. There was one set of colors that actually made my face look more asymetrical. I’ve purged a few items that are very obviously wrong, but fortunately I have a lot of neutrals that are either right with my palette, or close enough until I can find more items in my colors.

21. December 6, 2011 / 4:16 am

@California Girl I was first analyzed as a Spring back when the color analysis first became popular in the 80’s and there were only four types. The science of this has come a LONG way since then. And thank you!

22. December 6, 2011 / 4:18 am

@kathy peck It’s a fascinating process. That said, I look at it more as a helpful guideline than an ironclad rule, and if you already know what colors are best on you, no need to question that.

23. December 6, 2011 / 4:20 am

@metscan It’s funny, I have a good eye for color…except on myself. Something with the colors I was trying to wear wasn’t quite right, and I’m glad to have this piece of the puzzle. You’re right that around the face is most important, but part of the idea is to create a harmonious whole.

24. December 6, 2011 / 4:21 am

@Frugal Scholar Lucky you to have someone who has good instincts and can help choose colors! I think I’ll still probably have a wardrobe comprised mostly of neutrals, but it’s good to be able to make the most of whatever color I wear.

25. December 6, 2011 / 4:23 am

@Luna Thanks so much, and thank you again for inspiring me to get started on this path. It’s been a fun and exiting journey so far.

26. December 6, 2011 / 4:25 am

So much fun to watch you become a pro with the tripod and remote. Looking forward to your new colors. Change, change, change is in the air!

27. December 6, 2011 / 4:25 am

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style Thank you! I think the science of color analysis has come a long way since the 80’s. I’ve read SO many accounts of people who were analyzed one way under the old four season system, but then get a totally different reading under some of the new, more sophisticated systems. It really is quite exacting.

28. December 6, 2011 / 4:30 am

@Debbie Fox That was what I thought too, which is why I’ve kept my hair color on the warm side. Thank you!

29. December 6, 2011 / 4:31 am

@Susan G Thank you. I love that dress. Yes, I’m planning to tweak slightly to something a bit softer and cooler.

30. December 6, 2011 / 4:55 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 I hope you have the opportunity to get your colors done at some point. You seem to really enjoy wearing color, and I’m sure you would find it very interesting. Those Karina dresses are so flattering, and the top one is definitely my favorite, thank you!

31. December 6, 2011 / 4:58 am

@adrienne Actually mine’s the Rebel T3. Good to know about the battery. That’s probably what happened to mine. Wish they were rechargeable! Thanks, that grey scarf is one of the pieces that is right in my new palette. It’s really fun to see the different effects from the various colors.

32. December 6, 2011 / 5:01 am

@Chicatanyage Thank you! I’ve always kept my hair color on the warmer side as I was told a long time ago that my coloring was warm. I’m looking forward to experimenting with that too! I’d love to be able to do the color training; it must have been so interesting and fun.

33. December 6, 2011 / 5:02 am

@WendyB Ha! My sister is threatening to do some photoshopping with that picture. We’ll see if I wind up with a can of pepper spray in my hand…

34. December 6, 2011 / 5:05 am

@Anonymous Thank you. I’ll keep sharing my color journey including pictures!

35. December 6, 2011 / 5:10 am

@Zuzu’s Petals Oh wow, that IS exciting!! Do let us know how your draping turns out. I’m really excited about this palette, and have been shopping for some makeup in the new colors.

36. December 6, 2011 / 5:14 am

@Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell I think the CMB system was a lot more rudimentary. The systems are much more developed now, but there are other systems besides SciArt, and you might be able to find someone with similar training. And thank you!

37. December 6, 2011 / 5:17 am

@materfamilias
    Thank you so much. I really do feel comfortable in this combo. I do wonder if our color changes over time.

38. December 6, 2011 / 5:20 am

@Susan Tiner Thank you. I think because my skin tone isn’t totally cool or warm, it was easy to push it in either direction. But seeing the colors side-by-side I can see the difference. I’m looking forward to finding some pieces in my new colors to show.

39. December 6, 2011 / 5:21 am

@fashionoverfifty I’ve recently read SO many accounts of people whose analysis today is very different that their original one 20 or so years ago. Thank you!

40. December 6, 2011 / 5:23 am

@The Style Crone Thanks, I’m having fun even if the results are still hit-or-miss. Yes, change is in the air.

41. Zuzu's Petals
    December 6, 2011 / 12:04 am

How exciting! I am getting draped by Maytee Garza (also Sci/Art) two weeks from today. I suspect I am also a Light Summer, but I am going with an open mind. I look forward to reading your color journey, and if it turns out we’re both LSus I will be keeping an even more vigilant eye on your wardrobe picks and recommendations!

And I absolutely love that first dress on you.

42. Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell
    December 6, 2011 / 12:32 am

There is no one in my area that does the SciArt color readings. I wish there was, I would do it in a heart beat. I read up on it a while back and found it very interesting. I had a Color Me Beautiful color reading years ago, but I don’t think the lady doing it was very good at it. It was fun though.
    I think you look marvelous in the dress and boots. It is such a put together look and yet so simple. I really admire your style.
    I never noticed your glasses being off kilter, even after you mentioned it.

43. Susan Tiner
    December 6, 2011 / 12:43 am

You may have been frustrated but that picture is my favorite, and the dress and boots combination is a great look.

That’s so interesting you got different results than you expected with the color analysis! I’m surprised, because the palette you’ve been wearing looks beautiful with your skin to my eye.

44. Thyme2Be
    December 6, 2011 / 5:50 am

Love the whole sweater dress – leggings – boots – scarf look on you. The color analysis sounds like fun.

45. laurieann
    December 6, 2011 / 3:33 pm

Congratulations on having a Sci/Art color analysis performed! I did this about 6 months ago for my 50th birthday and I too found out that I am a Light Summer. The palette is one that truly does flatter my skin tone and I’m been enjoying making selective purchases in the new colors. Interestingly, these are the colors I’ve always been drawn to but avoided as I thought they ween’t ‘mine’. Now I can go with what appeals to me emotionally.

I’ll be interested to see how you introduce your new tones into your wardrobe.