What une femme will *not* be wearing in 2010…

J.Crew sequined chino short, $198.

You read it correctly.

Sequined. Chino. Short.

$198.

~

All original content property of http://www.unefemme.net

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 United States License.

26 Responses

1. Joyce Hor-Chung Lau

Hello Une Femme,
    Happy New Year! I found you via Lisa’s Privilege blog.
    Remember when J. Crew was stodgy? (And I’m not even THAT old). When I was growing up in Connecticut in the 80s and early 90s, I was a mail catalogue company with a few small stores.
    J Crew is where preppy kids bought boring clothes that their moms wanted them to wear, like chinos, nice shirts, demure skirts.
    If I wanted to buy sequined short shorts, I’d go to a Hong Kong street market!
    Anyone other than a supermodel is going to make those shorts look trashy.
    Here’s to a better-dressed 2010.

2. Arabella

Sigh. Wrong in so many ways: first off, they’re short. Next, they look as though they have been egged and breaded in preparation for deep-frying. Then, they sit about seven inches below the waist (you have to imagine them modeled by someone possessing a waist, here).

But most things in 2010 will look good after this, yes?!

3. StyleSpy

See, I love them. But I like the sparkly. Interestingly, I actually had a dream last night where I was getting dressed for something and I pulled three different sequined tops (none of which I own IRL, sadly) out of my closet to try on. The Fashion Universe is trying to tell me something…

4. Town and Country Mom

These should not be sold to anyone younger than 16 or older than 22! There should probably be a weight limit, as well! Here’s to finding style in 2010!

5. Parisienne Farmgirl

Why ever not?

Too funny. I can think of 100 things I could do with $198 that don’t involve sequins OR shorts.

6. Make Do Style

Opps! I’ll pass too.
    Happy New Year x

7. Lisa

Hello DP, Hope you are off to a good start this 2010. I agree, the shorts are silly but I was looking at the whole picture and started thinking about how spindly the model is. Envision a little boy’s head instead of her’s and it fits the body perfectly. What a shame.

8. the gardeners cottage

This is fashion?

Do you have a secret source for high-waisted trousers? I have been looking high and low and cannot find any. My tailor is going to alter a pair of mens trousers for me but I was just wondering if you have a source.

Many thanks.

Happy New Year,

~janet

9. Rubiatonta

Yeah, nothing I want less than to accentuate my “problem area” with sparkly.

Oy.

10. Sher

LOL! My first laugh of 2010 :D

11. I’d no sooner wear those shorts than I would a bikini! My daugher could carry that look off but she is much slimmer and much younger….I’d prefer to think of Eileen Fisher for my clothing.

12. Nancy (nanflan)

WTF?

13. itztru

Mon Dieu!! I’m with you…obviously not appropriate for une femme d’un certain age!

14. LPC

Ha! All I can think of is that the sequins would hurt my thighs…not to mention the damage I might inflict on other people’s eyeballs of course. Happy New Year!

15. Arabella

Gardeners Cottage and high waist trousers – may I suggest?
    Anthroplogie – usually carries a couple of styles per season.
    As does Toast (UK) and the J. Peterman catalogue. Good hunting.

16. Belle de Ville

Oh come on….doesn’t every woman of a certain age need a pair of sequined shorts?

17. materfamilias

Pseu, What a testament to your blogging skills that you’ve gathered such a wonderful group of commenters around your virtual table — the comments are as much fun to read as the posts, and that’s saying something! But the award for most succinct response has to go to Nancy(nanflan)! WTF indeed!

18. Duchesse

These are so St Tropez euroflash! If I were 18, skinny and had not the least worry that they would last about a few late nights, I’d wear them. but not with the chambray shirt. A liittle shrunken breton shirt or a bikini top.

Yes dear women, we are beyond them but wouldn’t you love to seer who orders?

19. Semi Expat

OMG – you and me both “Une” !! And not really any kind of shorts unless tailored and to my knees… ! I have never forgotten though the words of a wise woman who said to me once – “Shorts belong only at the beach on in the garden” !! (Goodness knows what she would have made of sequinned ones though!)

20. Leanne

Um. What were they thinking? Plus that model looks to be about twelve years old. Enough already!

21. L

Oh NO, NO, NO!!!

22. Milijana

$198 for J Crew??? YIKES!

23. Faux Fuchsia

Ok I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I would wear these shorts to the beach! I kind of like them, but agree that they would look best on a very beautiful youthful baby giraffe with long legs. But $198 is quite expensive for shorts or any Play Clothes really. We don’t have J Crew here in Australia. I wonder if I’d like it?

24. LaurieAnn

I love the denim shirt though. It would look great with black jeans, white capris or yes, chino slacks, sans sequins of course.

25. WendyB

I was expecting you to comment on the shirt!

26. Lorena

HA!
    I will not be wearing it either… what the hell were they thinkinG ?