It’s All About The Brows…

The first afternoon and evening of the conference was a social whirlwind. It was SO much fun to meet so many other bloggers I’ve known online for years. I’ll post some pictures soon. In the meantime, I thought I’d share a new makeup video from the session that Sandra and I participated in. This one’s on brows: how to shape, fill in and define. (Please ignore my sour lemon face at the beginning of the video; this was my first time being in a professional video, and that was probably a result of nerves. 😉 )

I find that more than any other cosmetic step, enhancing the brows makes such a difference. My brows have always been sparse, but a combination of age and having my thyroid removed a few years ago have left them almost invisible without a little help. I’ve used and loved Brian’s brow pencil for a few years now. It’s easy, gives a soft, natural look and stays put all day (even in heat and humidity). It’s great for travel too, as no sharpener required!

In addition to my favorite brow pencil, Brian’s also offering a special promotion, a Brow Beauty Box that includes all of the products shown, plus a printed how-to guide.

Brow beauty box

What skincare or makeup step do you never skip?

Bon weekend!

1. rukshanaafia
    April 21, 2017 / 5:52 am

Perfume !

2. April 21, 2017 / 5:59 am

That turned out great. Very interesting. I am going to have this running as I experiment.

3. April 21, 2017 / 7:30 am

Thank you! I was mostly doing it right, but I’m now willing to be a little messier with the application and then clean it up with the styling brush. So appreciate you doing this vid and posting it. Thank you again.

4. Wendelah
    April 21, 2017 / 10:18 am

Sunscreen. Rain or shine, if I’m going out or staying in, I put it on.

5. Tracy
    April 21, 2017 / 10:56 am

I would be interested to hear more about how you manage your hypothyroidism. I still have my thyroid, but I’ve been on medication for hypothyroidism for 3 years and find it challenging to keep my weight in check. I recently read The Thyroid Diet Revolution and have found the advice practical and useful, but so far I have had no results following her nutrition advice.

6. April 21, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Years and years ago a friend dragged me to a makeover at one of the mall shops, and the technician showed me how to brush my eyebrows. Just that one thing completely changed my look! Makeup fads have come and gone, but well-groomed brows will always be a must for me. They’re getting lighter as I age, so I’m thinking that a touch — just a touch — of pencil will be in my future.

7. April 21, 2017 / 6:13 pm

I use mascara on my eyebrows!! You must use a simple but high quality one (I use a dark brown clinique) with NO fibers in it!! Do eyelashes first, then apply in upward motion ever so lightly to brows, and take a spoolie to brush them as it drys. Not only is it like a setting gel, but you can put as little or as much as you need. Looks far more natural then a powder or pencil which always looks drawn on, IMO. It dries glossy like real hair. Waterproof too!! Sorry, but with gray hair, any ashy beigy shade just looks weird to me.

8. Margie in Toronto
    April 21, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Doing my eyebrows is a must – I over tweezed and ruined my brows years ago (why is it the one place that hair never seems to truly grow back?) so it is a daily habit, brush, pencil, powder & set with a clear mascara. Then some brown/black mascara on my eyelashes and I am good to go!

9. Eleni Palica Wilding
    April 22, 2017 / 8:38 am

you look beautiful Susan! Loved seeing you in this video!

10. April 22, 2017 / 12:02 pm

This is great! Oh wow- I need brow help! You looked great in this video! Can’t wait to try expiriment on my brows! Thanks for this. 🙂

11. April 22, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Plucking the hairs off my chin. It’s become a part of my daily beauty routine! I wish the chin hairs would magically find their way to my sparse brows—if that were the case, I would be the envy of even the Kardashian women!!! I love these videos that you are in!!!

• Margie in Toronto
      April 23, 2017 / 6:18 am

Oh Catherine – my thoughts exactly!

12. Mary
    April 22, 2017 / 4:22 pm

Thank you Susan, that simple video is going to improve my look 100 fold!

13. Verónica
    April 22, 2017 / 6:06 pm

Great tips. So nice to hear your voice!! 😀

14. April 22, 2017 / 6:10 pm

Loved seeing you in this video Susan. You are so pretty.

15. Caro
    April 24, 2017 / 2:55 am

Some very useful tips here. Eyeliner is the thing I never leave the house without, but I like to keep everything looking very natural. No corner kitten flicks for me, just filling in at the base so my eyes don’t fade into my skin.

I also make sure my eyebrows look defined but natural. I dye them myself, using a light ash brown product I buy from amazon (Godefroy eyebrow tint). It takes only a minute to get a natural looking color. Then, I have them professionally groomed -either threaded or waxed – and use a Laura Mercier eyebrow wax or a Stila pencil in an ashy light brown to fill in a couple of thin patches. The dye lasts around 6 weeks, so this is minimal effort.