Outfit: Going Baroque

style blogger Susan B. wears a printed silk pajama top as a jacket

These brocade mules have a very Baroque vibe, so for this outfit I decided to embrace that theme and run with it. I wore this out to meet a friend for lunch earlier in the week.

Wearing:

earrings | silk top (similar) | tee (similar) | necklace |
ring | jeans | bag (similar) | shoes (similar)

I repurposed this silk pajama top (from J.Crew, last year) as a light jacket. The fabric is more twill than charmeuse, so has enough crispness to work this way. The print reminds me of the famous “Lady And The Unicorn” tapestries at the Musée National de Moyen Âge in Paris. (We haven’t seen them since the restoration a few years ago, and it’s on my list for our next Paris visit.)

details: Susan B. of une femme d'un certain age wears a J.Crew silk pajama top as a jacket, with a Chanel bag and French Kande jewelry

Lipstick is Chanel Rouge Coco in “Coco,” with Makeover Workshop lip liner in “Maraschino.”

details: Susan B. of une femme d'un certain age wearing a French Kande vintage medallion necklace with Swarovski crystals

This French Kande hematite and Swarovski crystal necklace is a nice lightweight choice for warmer weather. This style also offers the option to choose a different medallion.

details: style blogger Susan B. wearing French Kande silver ring with vintage French medallion and Chanel classic flap bag

And the sterling silver ring with a “Queen Anne” medallion is still one of my favorite pieces.

style blogger Susan B. wears silver brocade mules with rhinestone accents

Do you ever put outfits together based on a theme?

Pajama Dressing…

1. June 23, 2017 / 3:28 am

That pajama top so works with everything else. I wish my pajamas were that pretty.

And yes, sometimes I do dress with themes in mind, e.g., Kathmandu boho, horsewoman, Pikachu/camo (not nearly as bad as that sounds), Santa Fe louche.

The only pajama outfit I’ve ever worn in public featured pink flannel fuzzy pajama bottoms with black/teal penguins, worn with with biker boots, a black tee and a black leather jacket. I thought it worked. Opinions varied. 😉

• Garden Goddess
      June 23, 2017 / 7:51 am

Oh I love that…”Opinions varied.” 🙂

June 23, 2017 / 7:53 am

Ann, it sounds as if you have fun and dress with imagination…bravo!

2. Julie
    June 23, 2017 / 5:16 am

Those shoes are horrendous. The rest of the outfit is OK. French dressing, in fact any dressing with class, says more is less. An American in Paris

June 23, 2017 / 7:55 am

À chacun à son goût. I’m actually an American in Los Angeles here. In Paris I’d wear something more subdued.

• Nicole K
        June 23, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Another “yes” for the shoes. I think your styling is very clever. Love the high/low mix and the shoes are pretty versatile IMO.

June 24, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Thanks, Nicole!

• Kendall
      June 23, 2017 / 9:05 am

Those shoes are GORGEOUS!

June 23, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Thanks, Kendall!

• June 23, 2017 / 10:05 am

Eye of the beholder. Opinions still varying. 😉 I think those shoes ROCK!

June 23, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Thanks, Ann. I know they’re not to everyone’s taste, but I do love them.

3. June 23, 2017 / 5:34 am

I am glad to see you use a pajama top. Whenever I see these modeled, I think they have potential for the “real world”. I like the contrasting lines of your handbag with the top–it keeps the look from going too soft. Thanks for the inspo ;).

June 23, 2017 / 8:06 am

Thanks, Kim!

4. Tammy
    June 23, 2017 / 5:41 am

Your pajama top is beyond elegant! Love this outfit.

June 23, 2017 / 8:05 am

Thanks so much, Tammy!

5. Lori
    June 23, 2017 / 6:40 am

What a fabulous idea. The whole look is really creative and beautiful without being over the top. It has a lovely luxe vibe.

June 23, 2017 / 8:05 am

Thanks, Lori!

6. Lisa
    June 23, 2017 / 6:41 am

I have this weird thing where I don’t like my jacket lighter than my shirt. I know, I know;). But if you wore this with a light under layer, what color would you pick? Gray, to pick up the shoes?

June 23, 2017 / 6:50 am

Hi Lisa, yes, probably grey. I feel as though white would be too harsh, but would want to stick with a neutral. You know me and wearing more than one piece with color at a time… 😀

• Garden Goddess
        June 23, 2017 / 8:13 am

That’s interesting as I was thinking that with those distressed jeans a white top would be perfect and would also perfectly attune with the PJ top as it has a significant white component. I’d also pull out some of the orangey/brown??? in the fruit and flowers and use that for purse and shoes. Of course, I’ve got brown hair so that might prejudice me a bit. Unlike the other poster, I do like the shoes you’ve chosen but for me in this outfit perhaps in gold, or better yet bronze than silver. I did smile when you said it was a pajama top; I would have never thought to try that! And that’s why I follow your blog!

June 23, 2017 / 8:51 am

GG, maybe I’ll have to try it with white. I was afraid the white tee would be too focus-pulling but perhaps not. I do like your idea of using brown/rust toned accessories…another thing to try!

• June 24, 2017 / 6:51 pm

I agree that with your coloring white might be too harsh, but a cream/ivery could be fun, as long as you changed out the bag…

7. Patrish
    June 23, 2017 / 8:38 am

Do you ever put outfits together based on a theme?

Only at Halloween. That’s probably why I am not a big fan of the day.
    Simple and chic is my mantra. I am uncomfortable when there are too
    many ‘things’ going on.

June 23, 2017 / 8:39 am

Fair enough. 🙂

8. Bobbie
    June 23, 2017 / 8:48 am

Cute and creative! Your friend had an extra treat looking at the print on your silk top!

June 23, 2017 / 8:53 am

Thanks, Bobbie!

9. irene pratt
    June 23, 2017 / 10:10 am

Hello Susan! Have been following your post for a year now and really enjoy your words and your pics. We are the same age and I have been going through an identity fashion crisis of sorts. Trying now to work through age appropriate wear and it is a real challenge. I think sometimes it’s not the material or pattern but how we wear it. I think your pajama top would look fab if you wore it alone tucked in without the Tee underneath. Then dress it with a chic black or silver belt. Actually with that Chanel bag, all you need is a the jeans and the t shirt and the shoes and you’ll be as chic as ever!

June 23, 2017 / 10:13 am

Thanks, Irene! I’ll probably try wearing on its own as a top soon.

10. June 23, 2017 / 11:53 am

I interpret “a theme” as a basis for many ways to be inspired. A beautiful pearl necklace with some style or edge can set me forward into inspiration for a fresh look–while shopping my closet.
    I also save magazine cuttings, and pinterest pics that I print out and have in my closet on a shelf. I take our the sheets, and I off to putting together another new outfit. It’s fun and makes me feel cute.

June 23, 2017 / 5:03 pm

kande, yes I often start with a piece of jewelry or other accessory and build the outfit around it. Pinterest is such a great tool for inspiration and ideas!

11. Kathryn
    June 23, 2017 / 12:35 pm

I love the idea of re-purposing clothing that is just to amazing to pass along. It seems to me that underneath the “themed” (hmm..don’t know if that’s the right term..) things you are wearing, there is still the classic and elegant you. You are definitely throwing your arms out wide, so to speak, but in a way that’s true to you.
    This baroque inspired ensemble really inspired me!

June 23, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Thanks, Kathryn! It’s fun to push our boundaries sometimes with style and challenge ourselves.

12. Donna
    June 23, 2017 / 6:21 pm

I would never have thought of wearing a pretty silk pajama top as a jacket and LOVE this idea! I have trouble seeing options “outside of the box,” which is one of the reasons I enjoy your blog. Keep the ideas coming Susan!

13. Mustangs
    June 24, 2017 / 7:01 am

I love this look! I also agree that a lighter color top under the jacket would work too.

14. stylecrone
    June 24, 2017 / 3:14 pm

The entire ensemble is gorgeous. Love the shoes!!! I’ve been thinking about pajama tops recently, and you have inspired me!

15. Leslie in Oregon
    June 25, 2017 / 2:05 am

IMHO, the silk pajama top, worn as a light jacket, is one of the most beautiful garments I’ve seen you wear. Bravo to you for seeing its potential and wearing it this way!!

16. plutrell
    June 25, 2017 / 3:45 am

I have already said the shoes are amazing and I like the fact that you are mixing up the prints and playing with new looks. My husband hates pattern mixing, but I have always been drawn to it! I think it is fun to do some different things.

17. June 26, 2017 / 7:02 am

I love that jacket; normally I dislike pyjamas worn as outside clothing, but it doesn’t look like pyjamas and I adore that tapestry, with its wee rabbit.