I’ll Have What She’s Having: Sporty Chic

Inspired by Lauren Hutton: Polished Sporty Chic. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home after an early evening photo shoot in Venice, and as I was stopped at an intersection, a woman crossed in front of me who looked very familiar. After a second or two, I realized it was Lauren Hutton.

Above: jacket | lipstick | sweater | bag | sneakers | pants

(Plus options: jacket | sweater | pants)

Chic Sportif

She looked exactly as you’d expect: casual, sporty, polished. She was wearing slim black pants, light-colored sneakers in a classic style, and a light-colored sweater tied over the shoulders of what I think was a dark utility jacket. What I really noticed though was her backpack which seemed to be woven rattan.

The overall effect was a wonderful balance of ease and soignée. Everything was neat, nothing distressed (that I could tell) or oversized. She looked comfortable. All of the pieces were simple and straightforward, but the interesting bag personalized and elevated the look. The light was fading and she passed by too quickly for me to note any additional details.

And then earlier this week, I picked up a copy of the May Harper’s Bazaar on a whim, only to find…

Lauren Hutton style in May Harper's Bazaar. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Yes, that’s the backpack (circled) she was wearing. Of course I’ve searched obsessively online ever since, but have not been able to find anything similar (that’s still available) to show you. But I’ve tracked down a few woven bag styles that aren’t too twee or fussy, and could also work with this look:

Street Level | Aranaz | Clare V | Malibu Skye | Francesca’s | Eric Javits

More utility jacket options:

Nic + Zoe | Levi’s | Everlane | Veronica Beard | Old Navy (Plus) | Madewell | LL Bean

Would you wear this look? How would you personalize it?

1. April 27, 2018 / 5:00 am

Those bags are called Borneo backpacks. Search using that name and I think you’ll find some!

2. Duchesse
    April 27, 2018 / 5:14 am

Oh, that’s the style I love, very garconne. And there is a slight disconnect between some of the editorial pieces (the pink jacket, the flowery heel) and what you saw, which I prefer. Lauren Hutton, what fantastic style, clean-lined quality American sportswear, a refusal of trends- and of course that attitude.

• Linda Boardman Kerr
      April 29, 2018 / 5:43 am

You took the words right out of my mouth.

3. April 27, 2018 / 5:39 am

She has great stye – Etsy has many new and vintage straw backpacks. I have a wonderful one I bought there.

4. Joani P
    April 27, 2018 / 5:40 am

I googled woven rattan backpacks from Malaysia and found several bags very close, if not it, as the post from Harper’s Bazaar.

5. sosusam
    April 27, 2018 / 5:45 am

What a fun story. Years (many!) ago, I celebrated my 30th birthday at Chanterelle (which is–or was, at least–a little restaurant in NYC). It was a weekday evening and the place was not crowded. After a while I noticed a lovely woman across the room. She looked so much like Lauren Hutton–yet she was so young! My then-boyfriend and I speculated that she was LH’s young cousin…but eventually we realized, nope, that *is* LH. She was beautiful, of course, but what struck me even more was how at ease she seemed. She was garnering subtle NYC attention, but she didn’t appear to be affected by it. Everything about her seemed effortless in the most admirable way. I can’t remember what she was wearing because that’s not what stood out. It was how comfortable she looked with herself and how quietly charming she was to everyone, including the waiters, etc. I do love her style, but even more, I appreciate her attitude.

6. Cindy Stevenson
    April 27, 2018 / 6:10 am

I’d wear this look with some tweaks. I’d likely wear the sweater and put the jacket over and possibly pair it with black jeans instead of trousers. I always feel weird when I pair sneakers with a dressier pant for some reason and yet I’ll wear pumps or dressier shoes with jeans.

7. Amy
    April 27, 2018 / 6:54 am

Thanks for the outfit inspiration! I have similar pieces in my wardrobe – minus the woven bag- that will make a great casual Friday ensemble for work today. Off to dress…

8. April 27, 2018 / 7:14 am

I would TOTALLY wear this look. In fact, I do. My khaki colored utility jacket is from Talbots and after at least 15 years it’s still going strong.

9. Marla
    April 27, 2018 / 7:38 am

I love the rattan basket bags and have been stalking them online for a couple of months. I haven’t pulled the trigger because I am not a fan of structured bags and feel like they wouldn’t work for me even though I love the look! I especially love the look of that rattan backpack!

10. April 27, 2018 / 7:54 am

Lauren Hutton is so cool. She was being her stylish self long before other film stars. She paved the way for women to celebrate their uniqueness instead of doctoring her appearance to suit the fashions of the day. Her
    timeless elegance is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

11. April 27, 2018 / 8:00 am

How fun to see Lauren Hutton! Don’t you love serendipity? When I visit your lovely state, I almost always seen a famous person which is thrilling to small town me. I love the Lauren Hutton style and would definitely wear it. I looked at the links for the bags–so fun. Thank you.

April 27, 2018 / 9:44 am

Hi Brenda, I’m still on the hunt. Trying to find one that’s sleek and not too bulky, but not droopy either. Have ordered a couple more to try and will report back if I find one that hits the sweet spot.

• Angela
        April 27, 2018 / 1:57 pm

Like how you see some as droopy. On me, I feel utility jackets look janitorial so have given them a swerve. Current favourite in my wardrobe is a collarless, pale grey/blue jean jacket.

12. Ann
    April 27, 2018 / 2:47 pm

I was in my 20’s struggling with “how to dress” when Lauren Hutton hit the scene…I had found my muse!

13. Barbra
    April 27, 2018 / 3:00 pm

I have seen Ms Hutton several times through the years and her finest accessories are her posture and her walk.

14. April 27, 2018 / 3:38 pm

How fun to spot HER out and about. I remember her decades ago as a traveler in Africa. Such a cool human being.

15. Nicole K
    April 27, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Oh, I love her! And her style. Like you, I don’t really wear backpacks, so I appreciate the woven bag alternatives. I would wear that look if I could find those perfect black pants….

16. Kay
    April 28, 2018 / 2:26 pm

People from elsewhere often ask me if I have seen celebrities in Los Angeles. I’m afraid they’re disappointed when the only sighting I can claim is Don Knotts!

17. April 29, 2018 / 10:18 am

Love her look and yours also. It is funny when you see a star in some casual place. That’s usually where I see them.

18. Barbara Meyers
    April 29, 2018 / 10:34 am

I love everything on that Harper’s page. Lauren is true to herself. I do like some girly fun thrown in, sometimes her look can be a bit masculine for me but it really works on her. Love her confidence