Room With A View: Bussière-sur-Ouche

View from Abbaye de la Bussiere in the Bourgogne region of France. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

In Bourgogne: A Little Slice Of Heaven…

We’ve just spent a couple of days in the Bourgogne countryside, and are now on our way to Lyon. We stayed at Abbaye de la Bussière. This former abbey dates back to 1131, and parts of the original building still remain intact. It’s a wonderful spot, if a bit isolated, but the grounds and buildings are stunning, and very photogenic. I’ve been taking lots of pictures, and will post more photos when we have faster wi-fi.😉

Fountain and sundial at Abbaye de la Bussiere. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

We somehow lucked into a corner room, so this was our side view. That sundial in the lower left corner was actually pretty accurate when not shaded. I really loved the landscapes in this part of France: wooded and hilly, interspersed with vineyards and some really charming small villages. It’s just so beautiful here!!

And of course, there’s wine…

Vineyards above Beaune in the Bourgogne region of France. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Our guide explains the appellations of the vineyards. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

12th century wine press at Clos du Vougeout in Bourgogne region. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Above: vineyards overlooking the town of Beaune, our guide explains the systems of appellations that dictates how wines can be named and sold, and a 12th century wine press at Clos du Vougeot, the “spiritual center” of the Bourgogne wine region.

For those who have asked, once we’re home I’ll be doing recaps of our accommodations, as well as restaurants we particularly liked in each locale.

Friday night we enjoyed a nice dinner at the hotel. I decided to dress up a little bit…

Working my travel wardrobe: dressed for dinner. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

earrings (similar) | jacket (similar) | top (similar) | bracelet | pants (similar) | bag | shoes

These are Eileen Fisher stretch crepe lantern pants. Mine are from last year, but they’re currently offered in organic cotton jersey. (I hope she brings back this style in stretch crepe!)

I wish we’d arranged more time in this area, but tonight in Lyon we’re meeting up with friends (someone you might know from her blog), so I’m eager to get there!

À demain…

1. May 27, 2018 / 5:18 am

That is fascinating. Of course the history of wine in California itself is many ceturies old, but here we are talking Middle Ages at least, and perhaps older – you will see significant Roman installations in Lyon. And I loved the sundial.

2. May 27, 2018 / 5:43 am

So beautiful!

3. plutrell
    May 27, 2018 / 7:10 am

I have loved your trip so far…so peaceful and beautiful…and, of course, I love the outfit too! Have fun Susan!

4. Jan
    May 27, 2018 / 7:12 am

Recognized the wine press at once! We actually based ourselves in the tiny village of Vougeot for 5 days, and looked across the vines to the chateau from our room, walking over for a tasting- it was heaven! So many abbeys, chateaux & beautiful villages to explore-could have spent both weeks there. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

5. May 27, 2018 / 7:17 am

I was wondering when you mentioned Lyons, if you’d cross paths with Frances. That will be fun!

6. risa Wolfson
    May 27, 2018 / 8:18 am

I have to tell you that I am enjoying your journey so much! I am super excited to see what you post and what you wear! It is so beautiful there!

7. Jill
    May 27, 2018 / 8:36 am

So lovely and I adore this outfit! love the flowy top/cardigan paired with the wide leg. I am so attune to fuller top with skinny leg, but this is so much more sophisticated!

8. Patricia
    May 27, 2018 / 8:46 am

My first thought when I heard you were going to Lyon next … looking forward to seeing pics of you and Frances together again!

9. Jo
    May 27, 2018 / 9:17 am

I recognize the wine press too! We chartered a barge with friends 2 years ago and cruised the Canal du Bourgogne. The scenery was breathtaking and we also visited the
    Château du Clos de Vougeot (where the wine press is). Best tarte au citron was in Beaune!

10. Charlotte
    May 27, 2018 / 10:12 am

So enjoying your trip. You are going to love Lyon. The best meal I had in the whole of France was in Lyon. Enjoy.

11. Lyn
    May 27, 2018 / 10:31 am

The countryside looks so peaceful and lush — especially to someone who is in the middle of a gloomy two-week stretch of rain. I’m eager to hear about Lyon — it is next on my French want-to-see list. (I put Chantilly on there too.)

12. Ainsivalavie
    May 27, 2018 / 11:53 am

Bonjour Susan
    You look fantastic in this outfit. Really a great look for travel! Those pants really look sharp. I have a Joie silk blouse in a navy cherry print that dresses up anything I wear it with, an expensive investment but very versatile!

13. Rondi
    May 27, 2018 / 11:57 am

Love the pants!

14. May 27, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Enjoy! Lyon is challenging only insofar as there are so many things to eat, and so little time.

15. Donna Oliphint
    May 27, 2018 / 7:22 pm

LOVE Beaune!

16. Daniella Karo
    May 27, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Charming surroundings! You look lovely in pants other than jeans!! Personally, I’m not fond of anything flowery, but perhaps the beautiful surroundings are the inspiration. Enjoy your trip in LA BELLE FRANCE!
    Love their formal gardens, though, now, that I live in the States, I enjoy being able to actually be allowed to walk over the grass!!

17. Jane
    June 4, 2018 / 10:48 am

I love your necklace (from previous blogs) and bracelet from frenchkande. I just ordered the fleur-de-lis bracelet you have on here!