Going With The Flow

Susan B. wears an olive silk trench over white jeans and tank top, with yellow suede mules and tan bag. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The Silk Trench

I’d been searching for a lightweight, drapey trench for months, even before I noticed they were trending in Paris. And sure enough, I found one there on my shopping excursion. This one is from brand Momoni and the silk fabric is gossamer light. I had it altered to shorten the sleeves and bottom hem.

Wearing: trench (similar) | tank | necklace | necklace (c/o) | ring | bag | jeans (similar) | shoes

I know these longer jackets aren’t everyone’s cup of Joe, but I really like them.

Pull up a chair! Style blogger Susan B. enjoys a coffee. Wearing olive silk trench over white jeans, yellow slide sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The sunglasses are from Missoni, similar here. Color on fingers and toes is Chanel Le Vernis in “Rouge Puissant.” Lipstick is Chanel Rouge Coco “Arthur.”

Detail: style blogger Susan B. wears layered French Kande necklaces with bee accents. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

The long necklace (gifted) is from the new French Kande “Chatelet” collection. The stones are faceted grey Labradorite, and have a lovely glow and luminosity. They coordinate nicely with the jacket too. I love anything with a bee motif, and the “Miel” pendants are really fun. The shorter Swarovski crystal necklace is from an earlier collection.

Detail: style blogger Susan B. wears white jeans and mustard yellow slide sandals. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

I love how these sandals look with white jeans!

Susan B. wears an olive silk trench over white jeans with a tan bag and yellow mules. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Yes, these photos were taken in Southern California. If you’re wondering about the French flag, that’s a French restaurant two doors behind me, and it was a few days before the World Cup championship. ⚽️ 🇫🇷

Photos by Tannaz Photography.

More Soft Trenches…

1. Stephanie J
    July 19, 2018 / 4:22 am

I absolutely love all your shoes, Susan. You could step in my closet in NC and feel right at home!

July 19, 2018 / 9:21 am

Thanks Stephanie! Shoes can add such personality to a look.

2. Bobbi
    July 19, 2018 / 4:53 am

I’m not very educated on wearing silk. I’m curious, wouldn’t a silk trench be ruined if you were caught in the rain?
    I suppose rain isn’t a huge concern in California. It’s lovely, though.

July 19, 2018 / 6:17 am

Thanks Bobbi, actually many silk pieces are washable. Rain would probably “spot” this fabric, though that would come out with a cleaning. And though rain is rare in Southern California in the summer, we did have an odd, brief thunderstorm yesterday.

3. July 19, 2018 / 5:05 am

Yet another long topper–you have such a flair for the dramatic. I love it. It looks so good with the white outfit, too–both create long lines.

July 19, 2018 / 9:20 am

Thanks, francetaste!

4. Pearl
    July 19, 2018 / 5:19 am

I love the long jacket! Your purse is great too – what’s the brand?

July 19, 2018 / 6:18 am

Thanks, it’s Lancel.

5. Lynne Hamilton
    July 19, 2018 / 6:40 am

Of all the blogs I follow on fashion styles for women who are in the 3rd chapter of life, I identify with yours the most.
    I really like your choices… muted, casual, quality…are a few words to describe what I appreciate about them.

July 19, 2018 / 9:18 am

Thanks, Lisa. 😉

July 19, 2018 / 9:20 am

Thank you, Lynne! I’m so glad to know you find the blog helpful.

6. Sally
    July 19, 2018 / 6:47 am

Susan this is a GREAT look on you. I love the French Kande necklace and that trench coat is gorgeous! I’m wondering if you would do another review of pants one of these days: in particular I’m wondering about Theory pants. I’d love to have a comfortable long black pant to wear with short boots in the wintertime—other than jeans, of course! Thank you for all that you do! I really enjoy your blog and have learned so much from it.

July 19, 2018 / 9:19 am

Sally, thank you! I’m actually planning to write about wardrobe basics, including pants, in a few weeks.

7. July 19, 2018 / 6:53 am

LOVE the long trench and the color is fabulous. We’re a similar size and have similar taste–I can really identify with your style. Thank you! <3 I also loved your blog with the black and white check duster. Keep it coming, Susan!

July 19, 2018 / 9:18 am

Thanks so much, Vikki!

8. July 19, 2018 / 6:54 am

I, too, have been looking for a long, lightweight sweater or trench–wo/belt–but haven’t found one I like. This color is wonderful. Think I left you a comment about it yesterday on your IG page. Thanks so much for sharing. Brenda

July 19, 2018 / 9:18 am

Hi Brenda! Thanks so much. I just love this color too.

9. July 19, 2018 / 7:10 am

You look absolutely stunning! Love, love, love, this outfit! So glad to see that with the right alterations that a trench can look fantastic!

July 19, 2018 / 9:15 am

desertrisa, thanks! Sometimes just a little tweak makes all the difference.

10. Nancy
    July 19, 2018 / 7:30 am

I love your whole outfit here! I especially love the necklaces. I know people were criticizing the length of the duster the other day but I think it’s looks flowy and chic. Thanks for sharing!

July 19, 2018 / 9:15 am

Thanks, Nancy!

11. July 19, 2018 / 7:44 am

Susan, seriously — this is one of my favorite looks on you. That silk trench is luscious! In fact, I’d love to wear that trench as a dress with stack heels.

That olive khaki is becoming one of my favorite colors. I must be channeling good vibes from the Sixties when we wore Army Surplus clothing … although none of it was silk. 😉

July 19, 2018 / 9:15 am

Thank you, Ann! I adore this color too.

12. Charlene H.
    July 19, 2018 / 8:33 am

Absolutely love this shade of green on you! Brightens your lovely complexion!

July 19, 2018 / 9:14 am

Thanks so much Charlene!

13. Rondi
    July 19, 2018 / 11:42 am

This is one of my favorite outfits you have posted! It makes you look like you are having a wonderful time no matter where you are! Relaxed yet sophiscated. I really like the muted yellow shoes with the olive trench and white outfit.

July 19, 2018 / 12:02 pm

Thanks, Rondi! I love this mix of colors too.

14. Greetje
    July 19, 2018 / 12:45 pm

You forgot to mention the gorgeous bag. I like your coat. Have to as I bought a similar one in linen haha. Also green. I still adore the necklaces but I need to fit them in the shop to see which one I like best on me. Might have to come over .. joke.
    Greetje

July 19, 2018 / 12:56 pm

I didn’t get a good closeup shot of the bag, but will for next time. 😉 It’s a French brand, Lancel.

15. July 19, 2018 / 6:19 pm

The coat is lovely, but I’d need a classic “coatguard” or “skirtguard” to wear it cycling. Those were very common 100 years ago in northern Europe, for men as much as for women, as men had those beautiful woollen overcoats. I very much like that labradorite, and those bees are placed so that I could wear them without allergies – I’ve had horrific swelling and breakouts with any metals other than gold or silver.

I also love a deeper, less yellow, “forest” green, but that rhymes with the vegetation here. In Italy I wore olive and deep orange tones I’d never touch here.

16. TURNER
    July 20, 2018 / 1:10 am

I have an belted trench from St John in a light champagne colored taffeta that I love. It’s intended for evening but I also wear it for day and I get a surprising amount of use out of it.

17. Marie Eberlin
    July 20, 2018 / 1:09 pm

I was wondering if French Kande is sold in Canada, specifically in Montreal? You really have flair and a je ne sais quoi when it comes to putting outfits together!

July 20, 2018 / 1:12 pm

Thanks so much, Marie! I know French Kande is sold in several boutiques here in the US; I’ll bet if you email them (contact form HERE) they could tell you if there are any retailers near you.

18. MsMezzo
    July 21, 2018 / 12:44 pm

I did not realize it would be cool enough to wear a trench coat (even a light one like this) in So. Cal. I will admit I am not ready yet for fall clothing, but when I am, this look is hard to beat!

19. July 21, 2018 / 6:47 pm

I love this look on you!

Elaine @ Following Augustine

20. Pam G
    July 23, 2018 / 7:17 am

Just saw this post and Love – no – COVET- that silky trench. Marvelous coat and perfection on you. I couldn’t tell from the photos – is it lined or unlined?

July 23, 2018 / 7:27 am

Hi Pam, thanks! It’s unlined, and very lightweight.