Bienvenue, Printemps!

tone-on-tone outfit

No, I haven’t cut my hair short again. These are a few more of the photos taken in Paris last year. This white-and-cream outfit felt particularly spring-like, so I’ve been saving it.

Wearing: cardigan | tank | necklace (similar) |
ring | jeans (similar) | bag (similar style) | shoes

morning in Jardin du Luxembourg Paris

Wearing all white can be tricky. There’s the keeping-it-clean aspect of course, but also it’s also been tough to overcome all of those years of style advice telling us that lighter colors make us look larger. Peut-être. But I just love the ethereal effect, especially with the slightly sheer cardigan creating a tone-on-tone look. This is one of those times that I’ll let go of conventional “flattery” in favor of something a little more dramatic.

tone-on-tone outfit with light neutrals, Paris

Those Paul Green sandals still one of my favorite pairs of shoes EVER. They are comfortable, go with everything and jazz up whatever I wear them with. And yes, a white or beige bag would have worked better….

Photos by Carla Coulson, taken in Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris.

Do you ever wear an all-white or off-white outfit? When you have to choose between what’s conventionally flattering and what creates a specific look, which way do you go?

Linked up: Visible Monday

More Tone-on-Tone…

1. Buffalogal
    March 24, 2017 / 3:17 am

I think you look really lovely in this outfit.

2. plutrell
    March 24, 2017 / 3:48 am

This outfit is so pretty and such a great complement to the setting! Lovely!

3. March 24, 2017 / 4:07 am

You look fabulous. White and cream can work surprisingly well, and keep a person from looking like a health-care clinician. The way you’ve put together this outfit is nothing short of glamorous.

4. Sue K.
    March 24, 2017 / 4:14 am

I love a monochromatic look! You look divine in this cream and white color combination. The closest I will get to this is cream and beige/tan, because white just does not flatter me at all.

5. Duchesse
    March 24, 2017 / 5:57 am

You notice that, when seated, the tail of your long cardigan grazes the dirt? That is why I don’t wear all white- for a photo, but not very practical in real life.

• Jude
      April 6, 2017 / 10:23 am

This is by far the best look! The black long duster is great as well. But white is more useful in FL. I love it so much I copied you. Wish EF was more reasonable priced but I watch for sales or similar items. French Kande too is great. I keep hoping someday she will have a discount or sale. Thanks Susan for your tips.

6. patty valentic
    March 24, 2017 / 6:19 am

What a beautiful setting. Wow! You look like you belong there in that gorgeous outfit. You wear it well.

7. Meg
    March 24, 2017 / 6:19 am

I have a light colored pair of EF crepe pants that I purposely bought a size bigger. I love light colors when it gets Africa Hot, but TIGHT and LIGHT on me is a tragedy. There must be ease. I wear them with a pale blue tank and long cardigan.
    I love light colored jeans and a cotton sweater in a pale tone- blue and white stripes can be great!
    Once again you have inspired me to root around for some pale metallic sandals for summer. I have been shopping with no goal, just looking and now thanks to your blog I know what I am looking for!

8. March 24, 2017 / 6:26 am

Oh, Susan! What a beautiful look on you and what gorgeous photographs. Parfait!

And yes, I have begun occasionally to wear more white — even white jeans in winter, depending on how muddy the side of my car is. 😉

And in spring and summer there’s something about an all-white outfit that feels magical, fairytale’ish, which I’m willing to embrace (occasionally) since deciding it is high time to dress how I want to feel. At my age (71), if not now, when?

9. March 24, 2017 / 6:29 am

I’ve never worn all white like this. But, after seeing you in it and reading this blog….I just might! Lovely.
    I even have shoes very similar to the shoes you’re wearing.

10. BethS
    March 24, 2017 / 6:38 am

You look terrific Sue! (As per usual) The silhouette & textures look lovely & fresh. (Also, it’s good to know the Paul Green sandals are comfortable for walking.) I don’t wear white because I look best in bright white, I hate yellowed armpits in my clothes, and I can’t help but see “medical” when I look in the mirror. I do like the high contrast of a white tee with black, though.

11. Lizer Pearl
    March 24, 2017 / 6:52 am

This outfit looks stunning on you.

12. March 24, 2017 / 8:00 am

Beautiful photo’s! I love all white and the choice of a metallic shoe is perfect.

13. March 24, 2017 / 8:18 am

Such a pretty effect, and you look so relaxed and in your element there — a favourite spot of mine, that Medici Fountain. . .

14. Marybeth
    March 24, 2017 / 9:18 am

I wore all white, tone on tone to a niece’s wedding last weekend. I thought I looked great, lol! You do too, of course! I want to go to that fountain!

15. Kendall
    March 24, 2017 / 9:31 am

Gorgeous!!!

16. Kelly Hale
    March 24, 2017 / 9:32 am

Great outfit and the photos are lovely!

17. March 24, 2017 / 9:59 am

Fairy tale! So pretty. And flattering in its own way – if not your usual way. xoxo.

18. Carol E.
    March 24, 2017 / 10:07 am

You are beautiful​! I too wear all white or white and cream. I feel crisp and clean and pretty and wearing white is such a lift for me. Sometimes I bring along an extra top in case I get a stain(almost always!)

19. Linda L
    March 24, 2017 / 3:37 pm

Your outfit is beautiful! I like the tone on tone look very much. I think an all over tone on tone look is more flattering in any color than a stark contrast between top and bottom. Such wonderful scenery! I need to find a good metallic sandal too!!

20. March 24, 2017 / 5:38 pm

I have one of the long cardigans you showed here, an inexpensive Halogen brand from Nordstrom: http://bit.ly/2nOjgo4

I have it in black and navy, bought last summer, and love them. Just enough warmth for summer, they look great and have held up well. I machine wash on gentle cycle, no problems.

• March 25, 2017 / 7:07 am

To Cathy MC — Thanks for the Halogen link! Great alternative for a lot less than Eileen Fisher, which often seems over-priced — and over my budget!

21. March 25, 2017 / 7:48 am

Those photos are so beautiful! But the way you did white was incredible. And the shoes. I swear, I cannot thank you enough for inspiring me to purchase those shoes!! They are so freaking comfortable, so versatile and look fabulous!!! Looking forward to more of your Paris pics!!!!

22. marsha calhoun
    March 25, 2017 / 10:15 am

You do look ethereal, and you set off Paris very well! So lovely to see this today (and to know that I will be seeing another part of France fairly soon) – thanks for this post.

23. March 25, 2017 / 6:35 pm

Very fresh and modern, yet classic. Beautiful and flattering silhouette, Susan, you look great! I have worn all-white about three times in my life. I love it but nothing looks more ‘low rent’ than white with smudges and my life is not conducive to remain ‘unfussed’ I will have to live vicariously (and spotlessly) through you. 🙂

24. Wendy in York
    March 27, 2017 / 2:49 am

The photos are lovely , like a professional fashion shoot , but I’m wondering – did you feel comfortable walking through Paris to the park ? I would have felt oddly self conscious amongst the locals in their Parisian ‘uniforms’ . I like to blend in , but you must be more confident than me .

25. March 29, 2017 / 9:19 pm

Really gorgeous pictures. And you looked a bit like a princess in all white. I am always amazed by the number of examples you provide to buy a similar outfit. Lot of work my dear.
    Greetje