It’s Leopard Season

casual glam outfit with leopard print coat, Gucci bag and kitten heel pumps. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Leopard Print Is A Neutral…

But very few are neutral about leopard print. I find that people tend to either love it or hate it. I’ve been in the “love it” camp longer than I can remember. I like how leopard print coat adds some Casual Glamour to a simple jeans outfit, but you can also throw it on over your Little Black (or Little Navy) dress.

Anatomy of a Look:

• Coat. I really liked this cotton twill coat from Ganni. It’s lightweight enough to wear several months out of the year here. But I couldn’t justify a second leopard print coat at this point. My resolve may weaken as time goes on.
  • Bag. I love how red looks against leopard. Or with anything, really. It’s lightweight, and holds more than you’d imagine for a bag this size.
  • Earrings. Pearls with an edge.
  • Jeans. Slim leg but not skinny.
  • Sweater. I’m cheering that elbow sleeves are back.
  • Cuff bracelet. Complements the earrings, and I like how the irregular shape of the stones calls back to the shape of the leopard spots. Plus, it’s on sale.
  • Pumps. As I mentioned in a recent Instagram post, these kitten heel pumps are looking fresh and modern to me again.

If you’ve had a leopard print coat or jacket on your wish list, NOW is the time to go a-hunting. I spent years searching for just the right one, and found that the good ones tend to sell out quickly in the season. All of these are fabric or faux fur.

Just A Little Leopard…

If you prefer your leopard print in smaller doses, a bag, scarf, or pair of shoes is a subtle way to incorporate this timeless print.

Do you have a favorite leopard print item in your wardrobe? Is there one you’re still searching for?

1. Ramona
    September 19, 2017 / 3:40 am

I love leopard, but wear it only in shoes. I think I have 6 pair that feature it in some way! Never in apparel for me…to big for that print, I think it looks like I am actually trying to be a leopard

2. Thea
    September 19, 2017 / 4:23 am

j’adore me some leopard! I always look to incorporate it into my otherwise, rather classic, look. It just seems fun and makes me approachable! I would love a leopard coat, but have yet to find THE one. Love the hunt, always willing to try one on. Am packing my leopard pumps to wear to a conference this week…snazz up the sea of black…

3. Joyce Coker
    September 19, 2017 / 4:43 am

Love this combination! I recently bought a short leopard trench coat and can’t wait for the weather to cool down enough to wear it. While I did think of adding red – in the form of red flats – I think your red bag adds the pizazz I was looking for, So off with the ruby slippers, and off to the shops for a red crossbody!

4. September 19, 2017 / 5:22 am

Those coats! I like the swingier styles.

5. Christina
    September 19, 2017 / 5:54 am

Love the Velvet brand leopard coat you purchased last year but could never find one to purchase. Hoping they revive and relaunch it later this year.

September 19, 2017 / 7:14 am

I’m keeping an eye out. If I see it become available again, I’ll post.

6. Terri
    September 19, 2017 / 7:14 am

Love my Fluevog leopard brogues, immediately elevates my regular black outfits.

7. Kathleen Ludgate
    September 19, 2017 / 7:52 am

I love leopard!. I have a few pieces that I totally love. Leopard flats pop any outfit. I have a reversible raincoat that is black on one side and a very subtle black and grey leopard on the side I wear the most. I get compliments every time I wear it. I also have a short leopard swing jacket from Chicos that I bought last year. It looks so smart with black pants and a white blouse.

8. Cathy
    September 19, 2017 / 8:50 am

I only own a few pieces of leopard as a little goes a long way for me. My current favorite is a cardigan with black leopard print on a beautiful wine background. I also can’t wait for colder weather so I can wear a new last year cashmere swing cardigan in the traditional colors. As far as shoes go, I found the perfect flat that’s black velvet in front with leopard print heel. And that’s enough. I don’t plan on adding any more. I do like the red bag though so that might be the next item to be purchased.

9. Cathy D.
    September 19, 2017 / 9:04 am

I love my Clare V leopard print clutch, the same one you have. I bought it because you recommended it. It took me a while to get used to carrying it… I’m very slow to adapt to anything new and different… but now I love it. I carry it mostly at night because it isn’t large enough to hold all my daytime requirements. Since most of my clothes are quite simple, it adds just the right amount of interest and chic.

Now if Tumi would only make a leopard print tote my wardrobe would be complete.

10. Paula Brink
    September 19, 2017 / 9:32 am

I love leopard and am thinking about those Manolo pumps. I have that red bag and have been wearing it non stop since April. It does hold more than you think.

11. Janet
    September 19, 2017 / 11:42 am

I’m wearing a leopard print corduroy A-line skirt I got at Talbots years ago. I don’t have any leopard accessories – I keep eying them but have yet to make a purchase.

12. Kim
    September 19, 2017 / 3:27 pm

I’m in the “love” camp! I have a couple of tops and skirts, clutch, cropped and long pants, pumps, but no jacket! LOL! I wear it with red, coral, teal, denim and sometimes brown :).

13. Til
    September 19, 2017 / 7:07 pm

What’s the current thinking on white jeans after Labor Day? My Mother would roll over, of course,…

Thanks,

Til

September 19, 2017 / 7:46 pm

I say wear them all year! 🙂

14. Cristina
    September 19, 2017 / 7:50 pm

I think animal prints only look good on animals. Just never understood why anyone would wear them. I love that red bag.

• Leslie in Oregon
      September 21, 2017 / 12:56 am

With you regarding humans wearing animal prints.

15. Maggie
    September 19, 2017 / 8:46 pm

I love the faded leopard print done by Raquel Allegra usually in linen (I don’t know how to link) and keep my eye out for it in the secondary market in my size. I have a few bold pieces (shoes and bags) but really like the ghostly look!

• Maggie
        September 20, 2017 / 1:12 pm

Ah yes, I keep throwing that in my shopping cart but I can’t really decide about the sizing: the designer’s website suggests one thing and RR has their own measurements so I keep gazing at it and wondering…..

16. September 19, 2017 / 11:16 pm

Love my leopard (fake) coat. But will it ever get cold enough to wear? I bought that Claire V clutch you featured. So I’m on board with the leopard look.

17. rukshanaafia
    September 20, 2017 / 1:06 am

I don’t like leopard except on the cats . Tiger however I wish I could find more of – I once found a tiger print plush and made myself a dressing gown out of it which I wore right out !

18. September 20, 2017 / 7:34 am

Love it…have ballet flats and a scarf and on the lookout for more !

19. Susanne
    September 22, 2017 / 7:13 am

I also love it. But since I wear cold colours, I always try to find it in gray/black. Not so easy…

September 22, 2017 / 7:18 am

Hi Susanne, here’s one in a black/white print. And this one is on the cooler side, and a bit more budget-friendly. 🙂

20. Karen
    September 22, 2017 / 7:03 pm

So true about how hard it is to find “the one.” I *love* leopard and I found “the” coat over 25 years ago in a thrift store in San Francisco. It was a fluffy faux-fur sort of like one you pictured. My favorite piece of clothing I’ve ever owned…I wore it to death. At 55, it no longer looks right on me, but I will never get rid of it!
    Right now, I wear a leopard print b&w scarf all winter. I’d love to find “the” perfect calf hair leopard bag, but it’s not really appropriate for my (now very casual) lifestyle. I do have leopard print socks, underwear, cardigan and umbrella, though!
    I also love zebra and giraffe print – a little more unexpected than leopard.

21. Orlando
    September 22, 2017 / 7:52 pm

I love leopard in accent pieces. I thought the jewelry in this post was beautiful and actually bought it! The bracelet arrived today and is absolutely perfect. I will get a lot of use out of it. Can’t wait for the earrings to arrive! Loved the whole look of this outfit! Thank you for putting it together!

22. Kay
    September 27, 2017 / 9:44 am

I wish I could like animal prints. I really do, but I grew up in a time and place where women in leopard print clothes were considered “cheap.” I have never been able to get past that.