Loafers, Not Slackers

Casual outfit with olive peacoat, striped top and black loafers. Details at une femme d'un certain age.I love the lift that a bit of heel adds to an outfit, but with each passing year I find them harder to wear for extended periods of time. Yet I don’t find flats comfortable either; a heel of about ½ to 1½ inches is most comfortable for me.

Above: scarf | coat | top | earrings | jeans | watch | bag | shoes

I really tried, but just can’t get into the sneaker trend. Sure, I love how they look on everyone else, so fun and sporty, but on me, no. Now that we’re in between Sandal Season and Boot Season, loafers are my go-to shoes for daily wear.

The Classics…

The iconic Gucci Jordaan horsebit loafer. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Above: the iconic Gucci Jordaan loafers. A splurge for sure, but very comfortable and well-made. This is a pair of shoes you’ll keep and wear for years, if not decades, yet with the prominence of menswear-inspired fashion this fall, they feel very au courant.

Classic horsebit loafer from Sam Edelman. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s a similar look, at a more budget-friendly price.

Everlane Modern Loafer in burgundy. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The Everlane Modern Loafer is another favorite style. These are beautifully made and reasonably priced. They’re available in several colors and finishes. They run a little narrow, so you may want to go up 1/2 size.

Classic Bass Weejun loafers. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The OG of penny loafers, the Bass Weejun.

Travel Loafers

Paul Green patent leather loafers with lug sole. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

A comfortable loafer with good cushioning in the sole can be an excellent choice for travel. These from Paul Green would go from day to dinner with ease.

Aquatalia Piera weather-resistant loafers. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

If weather resistance is a must, these are sharp-looking and weatherproof. (Also available in grey suede.)

Statement Loafers

Leopard loafers from J.Crew. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

You didn’t think I’d forget to include something in leopard did you?

Kenneth Cole blue suede loafers embroidered with gold stars. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

And how cute are these??

silver metallic horsebit loafers from Paul Green. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Metallic footwear is a big trend for fall, and this silver pair is all in.

Any favorite loafers in your shoe wardrobe?

No Slackers Here…

1. Debra
    September 29, 2017 / 4:10 am

They’re all cute, but I walk out of every slip-on shoe ever made. Living in Central Texas, I’m in open-to/sandals much of the year. Texans look at a 65-68 degree day as great boot weather – LOL! – we’re lucky it’s in the 60s!

2. September 29, 2017 / 4:21 am

I’ve been a Weejun girl since my days in a Catholic school uniform. I’ve even written in a blog post that I cannot wear any other brand loafer. Weejuns are available in narrow widths which is a godsend for us AAA girls!! I have a pair that I still wear that is about 23 years old and another newer pair. Best. Loafers. Ever!

3. September 29, 2017 / 4:42 am

I love velvet versions (including in leopard) of the starry slippers you show. They have a specific name, but I cannot remember it!

4. Mari
    September 29, 2017 / 4:57 am

Cannot get into the sneaker look either! Must be some buried hated of gym class in high school!

5. Lisa
    September 29, 2017 / 5:30 am

I’m a big fan of Gucci shoes. I find them very comfortable and they should be for the price point. I owned a pair of the Jordaan’s in the 90’s and wore them constantly. I own the Marmont’s in pink suede (still questioning that color choice) and don’t find them nearly as comfortable as the Jordaans. You did change my mind though. I was thinking of purchasing the Princeton’s but then I saw these and they brought back wonderful memories of that butter soft leather. Thanks!

6. September 29, 2017 / 5:59 am

Almost all of these look very stiff! The velvet or a suede would be the only ones possible for me. Loafers, I find, are tricky to get comfortable: they just do not give. Or maybe they take a long, long time to break in? But the Vince Camuto ones at bottom might do the trick!

7. JMOD
    September 29, 2017 / 6:19 am

I found the Paul Green shoes pictured here at TJMaxx! What a find, particularly since I am going to Italy next week. I couldn’t believe my luck.

8. Weezie Fitzhugh
    September 29, 2017 / 7:03 am

I, too, find loafers stiff and uncomfortable unless they have a rubber sole. The Paul Green shoes, though clunky, look just up my alley!

9. September 29, 2017 / 7:29 am

I bought my daughter a pair of those Sam Edelmans pictured in your grid, in black. She wore them all day on her feet, was comfortable, and got compliments:). They are very graceful, and look in person like shoes costing three times as much.

• September 29, 2017 / 7:30 am

Also, I’d TOTALLY buy those Paul Greens in the white. So Frank Sinatra. I think I could rock a Sinatra look, what do you think?

September 29, 2017 / 7:32 am

Absolutely!

10. Cathy D.
    September 29, 2017 / 8:44 am

Loafers are great, but they usually aren’t as comfortable as well-fitting sneakers. Too bad you can’t get into sneakers because they are youthful, cute, and allow you to forget about your feet. My doctor recommended that I wear sneakers most of the time for good foot health. At first I was really upset, but have adjusted. Happy feet can bring on a big smile, the best possible beauty asset.

11. Mary
    September 29, 2017 / 8:51 am

I have several pairs of buttery-soft Bally loafers I purchased at an amazing sale price at Harrods (of all places) back in the 1990s. Just keep replacing the soles and treating the leather. They are classics and will never go out of style. Good thing because I couldn’t afford to purchase them now–even on sale.

12. Tracy
    September 30, 2017 / 10:59 am

The link for the weather resistant loafers is not working. Would love to know the brand/name.

September 30, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Hi Tracy, sorry about that! They’re from Aquatalia…here’s an alternate link.

13. REbeccaNYC
    September 30, 2017 / 2:14 pm

I am with you regarding loafers over sneakers. For me, it is Bass Weejuns for the win! Check out the website for the amount of colors and widths these babies come in! Supportive, incredibly well made with leather soles, they only get more comfortable with age.

14. Susan
    October 1, 2017 / 4:04 am

Gucci loafers (suede is softer) are the most comfortable flats, but I also find Tods do the trick also. However, my winter flats have been an Aussie brand called Rollies. They are lace up brogues, but super soft and funky enough colours/patterns so as not to look like Miss Marple.

15. Nicole in CA
    October 1, 2017 / 9:26 pm

This validates everything old is new again for my brown leather loafers that have a little buckle detail. They’re practically new because compared to all my other shoes they feel very stiff, though not uncomfortable. Now I have a reason to get them out and enjoy them (just need the right pants – ok to wear with black pants? Perhaps that’s why they didn’t get much traction. haha)

16. October 4, 2017 / 7:41 am

I’ve got a pair of the Everlane loafers – they’re great quality, quite sturdy (!) and made in Italy.