Check It Out

Style blogger Susan B. wears a denim outfit with a black and white gingham duster, metallic bag and crisscross slide sandals. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Check Or Gingham?

Some call this pattern “check.” I’ve always thought of it as “gingham.” Either way, I really love this piece. It’s a shirt dress that (once again) I’m wearing as a duster. The sheer fabric is great for providing some lightweight arm coverage.

Wearing: dress/duster | tank | necklace (similar) | necklace | bracelet | jeans (similar) | bag | sandals (similar)

Black and white gingham is on trend right now, but it’s always been a favorite of mine. It’s a classic, and the monochrome makes it modern and keeps the pattern from skewing too “sweet.” Here I’ve styled it with jeans and white linen tank, and have a few more outfit ideas in mind. I’m wearing size Small.

Details: French Kande jewelry with vintage French medallions. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Both of these French Kande necklaces are from prior collections, but I’ve never worn the two together before. The shorter one is sold out (similar look); the longer one is available here.

Details: black and silver accessories. Rag & Bone metallic bucket bag, black crisscross slide sandals. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

The bag was originally gifted from Saks, and I’ve been using it often. It’s incredibly lightweight and versatile. I love that bit of “pop” the metallic finish adds.

Detail: style blogger Susan B. wears crisscross black suede slide sandals. Info at une femme d'un certain age.

The sandals were purchased last year; here’s are a couple of similar styles, one flat and one with a heel.

Gingham, Not Too Sweet

Please note: If you’re not reading this post at https://unefemme.net, please click link to read where originally posted.

1. Ellen Gloudie
    July 16, 2018 / 3:36 am

What a coincidence, I am now wearing a summerdress in the same gingham pattern! Really love your duster!

2. FivebyFive
    July 16, 2018 / 4:06 am

Black gingham is the only one I would wear. Otherwise you look like you’re wearing a tablecloth.

3. July 16, 2018 / 4:32 am

Nice, but too long! IMO the length shown in the Bloomingdales pictures is more attractive. Take about 4 inches off?

• Nancie
      July 16, 2018 / 8:42 am

Yes I agree. If is too long it will look like a robe.

July 16, 2018 / 10:49 am

Thanks, I actually like the length. Feels fun and dramatic to me. Everyone has their own preferences, though.

• Janice Gerow
        July 17, 2018 / 8:21 am

Yes! I love the length on you. I’d wear it exactly the same way. Apparently it’s sold out though 🙁

4. Bea
    July 16, 2018 / 4:52 am

Very nice

5. Catherine Symans
    July 16, 2018 / 6:20 am

Love the bag so I just ordered it! And it’s on sale!

6. Karen in SMA
    July 16, 2018 / 6:26 am

I have been admiring that bag from your previous posts, and it’s now on sale! Thank you for the link!

7. July 16, 2018 / 7:12 am

This outfit is pure perfection, Susan! I enjoy seeing you in long duster pieces. It’s interesting, while you are petite this length works so well on you. On the other hand, I’m taller (5’9″) and a vast majority of the time, don’t care for longer toppers. Go figure…ha!

8. Eva Cox
    July 16, 2018 / 7:17 am

Love the gingham!!

9. July 16, 2018 / 7:39 am

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been attracted to the gingham look. In fact I have nothing in gingham at all. However lately I’ve been coming around to liking it for some reason & I absolutely love a shirt dress that doubles as a duster! Maybe you’ve turned me with this outfit Susan x

10. Maria Lopez
    July 16, 2018 / 7:52 am

Absolutely LOVE the look!!

11. Sharon
    July 16, 2018 / 8:23 am

I bought this duster a few months ago. I’m only 5’4″ and it is a bit long, but I really like it. EVERY time I wear it, I get compliments. I’ve been wearing it with either white or black pants and it completely pulls the look together.

12. July 16, 2018 / 9:17 am

That is something I might have passed by because, like Sharon. But you demonstrate the power of a dramatic piece. It’s so simple, just a little topper, as light as a feather, but it changes jeans with a white top into a super-stylish outfit.

13. Rondi
    July 16, 2018 / 9:49 am

I really like the gingham duster. What a versatile piece! Im glad you featured it. Fresh ideas. I might never have been comfortable wearing that look but I really like it. Just for interests’ sake the term gingham is not about the pattern but about the method in which the fabric is made. Its a very old method and technically should be almost reversible to be true gingham. But gingham is what I’ve always called it and the shopping site calls it gingham also. I thought that might be of interest.

July 16, 2018 / 10:48 am

Thanks, and thank you also for the background information!

14. Patrish
    July 16, 2018 / 10:23 am

Proportion in fashion design is the principle that holds that the size of various components of a garment or fashion accessory must look good together.

15. Lyn
    July 16, 2018 / 11:02 am

This look doesn’t come together for me. Definitely too long, and it doesn’t really work with the blue jeans. Maybe a black tee and white jeans? Or am I being too unimaginative? Actually, I’d probably wear a red tee and white jeans.. And I’d shorten the duster myself — if you are short, you need to know how to sew.

16. Nancy
    July 16, 2018 / 11:49 am

I’m fine with length of the duster if worn with heels. If you are short and wearing flats it might make you look shorter. Love you necklaces!

17. July 16, 2018 / 11:35 pm

Black and white gingham – good look and grown-up. I like gingham but never wear it because it is very popular here in the UK for school uniform dresses in the summer, especially blue and white. Gingham over floral, every time. Keep wafting in cool stylee.

18. TURNER
    July 17, 2018 / 1:43 am

Not usually a fan of gingham but this black and white lightweight version works for me! Would probably buy this duster if it wasn’t sold out in my size.

19. July 17, 2018 / 10:05 am

What is the fabric? Cotton, or nylon, or…?

July 17, 2018 / 12:01 pm

It’s polyester, actually. But a very loose weave and breathable.

20. July 22, 2018 / 5:57 pm

I’m not usually a fan of gingham, but I LOVE this shirtdress/duster and the way you’ve styled it. Personally, I think the length is great. It adds a bit of drama to the outfit.

Elaine @ Following Augustine

21. Daniella
    July 23, 2018 / 12:34 pm

Sorry, not my cup of tea. Resembles too much an old tablecloth.

22. July 25, 2018 / 5:30 am

I am totally in love with this outfit. with every piece (well.. not the mules, but that is just me; never been drawn to mules but they are a big fashion hitthese days). You keep tempting me with the necklaces haha. The dres/coat is great. At the moment it is so hot in The Netherlands (95F) and has been for months that we are running out of water, the rivers are drying up etc etc. We don’t know what is happening. Is this the result of climate changing? So jeans? Too hot. Really any kind of clothing.. too hot. Pfff. I do not have an extensive wardrobe for hot weather. Never needed it. Combined with a Knee and no high heels… things are getting difficult here, stylewise.
    Greetje