Casual Luxe: This Season’s Velvet

Boden casual look with gold velvet blazer and black pants.

A Little Everyday Glam…

Velvet isn’t just for fancy occasions anymore. Personally, I love seeing it worn as part of an everyday look; it adds a luxe texture and dash of insouciance. A velvet jacket is a no-brainer…wear it with jeans or over your LBD. Even more fun in an unexpected color like this gold blazer. (Offered in Misses up to US size 16 and in Petites. Other colors available too.)

More Jackets

Dark green velvet blazer. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Dark green is a color that works well with many complexions, and with lots of other colors. I like the un-fussy look of this jacket (offered in Misses 00-16, Petites size 00-12, also in Black and Navy.)

Blue velvet tie waist jacket. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

If you prefer something a little less structured, this pretty blue jacket can be worn open or tied at the waist with the included belt. Offered in XS-XL.

Eileen Fisher velvet duster in Midnight. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

You know me… I’m a sucker for a duster. This one is on the pricey side but absolutely GORGEOUS, and a nice alternative to black. Available in Misses and Petites.

Black velvet ruched sleeve blazer. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

On the more budget-friendly side, I really like the ruched sleeves on this simple jacket. Offered in sizes XS-XL, also in Navy.

J.Crew double-breasted blazer in rose leopard velvet. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

And I’m going to risk posting this one again (it seems to play hide and seek on the website) because it’s such a fabulous piece.

Dresses & Tunics

Fancy doesn’t have to be fussy. Here’s a pretty blue shift dress (Plus) that could be accessorized for varying levels of formality. (Before you write it off due to the short length, know that the model on this image is 5’10”.) For those of you who have mentioned that you need something dressy for a cruise, this would be an easy and packable option.

Eileen Fisher red velvet tunic shirt. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s another option with “cruise potential.” Though it’s styled here with jeans, I could see this tunic (Plus) being worn either a pair of velvet leggings (Plus) or open as a jacket over a satin top and silky palazzo pants. The tunic is also available in black and dark green.

Eileen Fisher blue velvet shift dress. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

For a more budget-friendly option, an easy wrap dress. I’ve shown Navy here but it’s also offered in two other colors, and up to size 24.

Tops, Skirts & Pants

Sanctuary stretch velvet tee burgundy. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Here’s an easy tee to zhush up your daytime look, or slide under your silk jacket for evenings. This is a budget-friendly option, available in Misses (XS-XXL) and Petites.

J.Jill black velvet shirt. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This easy rayon-silk shirt is offered in Misses, Plus and Tall sizes. (Machine washable too!)

J.Crew pull on velvet pants. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

I picked up these velvet “easy pants” in navy during the last promotion, and they are FAB. Four colors, in Misses, Petite and Tall lengths.

Merlot velvet pleated skirt. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

This velvet pleated skirt is a pull-on style, and offered in Misses XS-XL.

Plus size black velvet skirt. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Simple, elegant and timeless, a black a-line skirt in Plus.

Do you have any velvet pieces in your wardrobe? How do you like to wear them?

1. October 16, 2018 / 6:21 am

Thanks for doing some shopping for us, Susan. I’m seriously considering the J. Crew pants. M. Kors has a teal skirt, too, that I have my eye on.

2. October 16, 2018 / 6:56 am

I have a burgundy velvet blazer from last year – I must pull it out and wear it more casually. Jeans and a tee.

3. M.W.G.
    October 16, 2018 / 6:59 am

My favorite posts are ones where you are wearing the clothes with your stylings with links to the appropriate retail source.

4. Rondi
    October 16, 2018 / 7:04 am

I really like these velvet pieces and all the style, price, and color choices. Fun post!

5. October 16, 2018 / 7:17 am

You read my mind Susan! I’m on the lookout for a velvet blazer since I realized how much I’m wearing a floral velvet suit I got last year. It’s so easy to throw on and feel good with no effort. I like the blue ones but gold is stunning too now that I see it here.

6. Penelope
    October 16, 2018 / 7:56 am

I have always loved velvet and am glad to see so much of it around this season. I sprang for the J.Crew rose leopard velvet. It is gorgeous especially for those of us who need cooler tones. I had never ordered online from them before and was so impressed with how the jacket arrived- on a padded hanger with the sleeves all stuffed with tissue.

7. Diane Albrecht-Thomson
    October 16, 2018 / 7:58 am

I love those j crew velvet pants. I got the tall so they’d be longer. J Crew is having a 35% off promo and the pants are included.

8. Valletta
    October 16, 2018 / 9:11 am

I’m much too warm blooded to wear a velvet jacket or dress but a velvet cami or tank works best for me. I love the JCrew pastels, less of a “holiday” vibe.

9. Lily
    October 16, 2018 / 9:22 am

Great. I gave my velvet blazer to Goodwill! Oh, well, I don’t like velvet anyway.

10. Daniella
    October 16, 2018 / 12:18 pm

Velvet? No way! They don’t have “chic” appeal !

11. October 16, 2018 / 12:22 pm

I’ve always had velvet jeans and blazers as part of my closet staples since I was 21. Will never be without velvet. Brenda

12. Phyllis
    October 18, 2018 / 2:57 am

Oh I love that J.Crew velvet blazer…..and I just bought it!

13. Joanne M
    October 18, 2018 / 2:59 pm

I tried on that gorgeous blue velvet Eileen Fisher shift dress at my local EF store and it’s amazing. But Bloomingdales is having a promotion that includes Eileen Fisher where you can get between 25-30% off. I had placed an online order for the EF dress from Bloomies but it was back-ordered until mid November. Happily my Eileen Fisher Store matched the Bloomies sales price, so I have that dress in my hot little hands now. It is fabulous and will be great all fall and winter.

And while I was there at the EF Store, I tried on and also fell in love with their claret colored Velvet Notch Collar Blazer, which is also fabulous, so I got that as well. I think I am set for the season!

Thanks for the heads up! Eileen Fisher velvet pieces sell out fast so I was able to snag these beauties.

14. October 20, 2018 / 6:53 am

I have a grey velvet skirt – oh, not expensive, and just washable poly, but it looks nice and is good for travelling, if I’m working “in public”. I know that velvet can look stodgy, but it can also have a retro boho vibe I like. I do like the relaxed blue jacket, but not the colour. Would love it in dark green! Fortunately there is a lot of dark green this year, so I might be lucky.