Sifting Through The Sales (With Paris On My Mind)

J.Crew cropped sweater blazer in navy. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

There have been so many great sales this month! I thought I’d share some sale items that could work well for travel and have “wear it in Paris” potential.

Today’s the last day for up to 40% off a whole bunch of items at J.Crew. (Code BUNDLEUP ) Above: this cropped sweater-blazer, available in 3 colors and up to size 3X is 25% off.

J.Crew Downtown field jacket in mossy brown. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

The popular Downtown Field Jacket is 40% off! Offered up to size 3X, and also in Petite and Tall sizes.

J.Crew sherpa-lined ankle boots black. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Going somewhere cold? These sherpa-lined (faux fur) ankle boots are 25% off.

AG Harper dark wash straight leg jeans. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Today’s also the last day to take advantage of AG’s 25% off Friends and Family promotion. Dark wash straight leg jeans are a smart and versatile option for travel. (You may want to leave the high-heeled red boots at home, though… 😉 )

Black leather look trousers from AG Jeans. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

These coated cotton trousers look like leather, but are lighter and washable! They’re also 25% off. (I bought these a few weeks ago, and will be including in an outfit post soon.)

Fall travel wardrobe ideas: packable down coat. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Lands’ End has 30% off full price styles, including this packable down coat. (Also offered in Petite and Tall sizes.) Code RAKE, pin 3695.

Lands' End grey cashmere v-neck sweater. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

And here’s a cashmere sweater with a not-too-deep v-neck. (Several other colors available.)

Eileen Fisher satin trim ponte knit leggings. Details at une femme d'un certain age.Neiman Marcus is having a $ off promotion: save $50 on purchase of $200, or save $100 on $400 (code SAVENOW). It’s hard to tell from this image, but these ponte knit leggings have a satin tuxedo stripe on the side. (Petite / Plus). Also nice to have for Festive-Not-Fussy holiday outfits.

Aquatalia Ulyssa black suede boots. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

And you could save $100 on these waterproof boots! (I’ve tried these on and they’re incredibly comfortable!)

Eileen Fisher merino wool rib sweater in royal blue. Details at une femme d'un certain age.

Eileen Fisher is offering $25 off with code LUXE. This little merino wool sweater is a nice shape and weight for travel, offered in Misses, Petites, Plus.

Have you come across any good sales lately?

1. Lisa B
    October 22, 2018 / 6:08 am

Hi Susan, I’m interested in the Eileen Fisher claret blazer. Love the color but seems a bit pricey for a seasonal item. Since the closest EF store to me is over an hour away ( in my tiny state that’s considered a day trip ) I was wondering if you had a chance to check it out and if it’s worth the expense. I’ve been disappointed by both the quality and sizing of some of their products lately.
    Thanks!

October 22, 2018 / 6:15 am

Hi Lisa, I’m assuming you’re referring to the velvet one? If so, I haven’t had a chance to try it in person yet.

• Lisa B
        October 22, 2018 / 6:42 am

Yes, the velvet one. Their sizing seems all over the place lately. I’ve really seen the prices soar and the quality taking a downward spiral. Can’t beat those crepe pants though.

• Joanne M
      October 22, 2018 / 8:40 am

I bought the claret blazer at an Eileen Fisher store this weekend. It’s a gorgeous shade of warm burgundy and the velvet is soft and lovely. I bought a petite medium instead of my usual regular small because the small hit at my low hip and it looked better a little shorter at mid hip. Otherwise the jacket runs true to size. I also bought the black leggings with a satin strike that Susan mentions above to wear with the jacket.

• Lisa B
        October 22, 2018 / 10:40 am

Tanks Joanne PM is my usual size too.

• Lisa B
          October 22, 2018 / 10:41 am

Tanks Joanne PM is my usual size too.
          H

2. LeeAnn
    October 22, 2018 / 7:31 am

Thanks for the tip on the J. Crew sweater-blazer. I just ordered it. Sometimes those semi-structured jackets are just right.

3. Eva
    October 22, 2018 / 8:56 am

Thanks for the guidance! I’m making a list of what I want to take to Amsterdam over the Christmas holidays. We’ll be gone 14 days & I keep wanting to take a separate outfit for each day all the while knowing I need & want to mix & match my pieces. I bought the Land’s End coat (mine has a hood with faux fur) at end of season this year & almost stole it! I love velvet & suede but they can be expensive, my alternative is moleskin. Can’t wait to see Anne Frank house & meeting Misja Beijers (she’ll be photographing myself & family)! To excited!! I love all of your posts!

October 22, 2018 / 10:09 am

Oh how wonderful that you’ll be meeting Misja! I hope to meet her someday.

4. October 22, 2018 / 9:48 am

I love the Lands End coat, but alas, it wouldn’t be warm enough for our Canadian winters. I’m looking for something similar that’s good to -30ºC.

• Kelly
      October 22, 2018 / 9:58 am

Eddie Bauer has a good sale now – they have a similar slim down parka style with a colder rating than the LE option. I love EB coats- my current ski coat is EB [well, I can’t link, so look up the Sun Valley Down Parka on the eddie bauer site]

5. Susan W H
    October 22, 2018 / 12:59 pm

I bought the Lands End coat in September on sale and haven’t yet worn it. Warning: it does have a tricky zipper–it took me a few tries to figure it out, and doesn’t make sense to me have such a zipper on a long coat. Reviews reflect that others have the same problem. Will take it to Chicago area for holiday trip–I think the coldest it’s been in the past is -2°–extreme for someone who’s lived in California for 5 decades.

I always appreciate your sales tips. Tempting, but I’ve already bought enough for this year.

6. October 22, 2018 / 8:43 pm

You may need to leave the red booties at home, but aren’t they smashing?! The non-practical side of me wants to buy them right now! Practical Helen is cooling her jets for a bit. 🙂

October 23, 2018 / 5:25 am

I know, they are pretty nifty!

7. October 23, 2018 / 8:11 am

There really has been some awesome sales recently, I agree. I’m in the market for a new Winter coat actually but I just can’t decide which way I want to go with it. I do love a massive duvet style puffer but there are some absolutely gorgeous check wool coats around too. Knowing me I’ll procrastinate on this for so long it’ll be another Winter before I buy one!
    I will spend quite a decent amount so it’s important to get it right. I never buy cheap coats any more.Learned that lesson in my twenties, I’d rather wait and save up now. You know what I mean?