Our lives change and our attitudes and aesthetics shift, and we often want our outward appearances to reflect that. While the style gurus often caution against getting stuck in a style rut, I think for most of us there are some core items that we return to season after season, in whatever form; these are the foundations of our style, and will feel Just Right for most situations. I’ve done quite a bit of experimentation in the last couple of years, but keep returning to my tried-and-true numbers. For me, those items are:
1. Black trousers. Right now my favorites are Banana Republic lightweight stretch wool in Jackson fit. They dress up, they dress down. When I’m unsure about what to wear, I can always feel good and appropriately dressed if I start with these.>
2. The Jacket. Wear it with above trousers for work or add more bijoux for dressier occasions. Wear it with jeans and a tee shirt to look casual yet pulled together. This Ann Taylor jacket is my addition for this season.
3. Knit tops/tees. As much as I love the classic look of a crisp white blouse, that look doesn’t love me. A white cotton tee, neutral 3/4 sleeve tee or a silk jersey long-sleeved top will get me through almost any situation, layered under a jacket, or on its own with a scarf.
4. Jeans. Classic styling, sans embellishment. I’m loving these NYDJ straight leg jeans this season.
5. An interesting pearl necklace.
6. A pointy-toed flat or low-heeled skimmer. My current fave is leopard haircalf, but black leather would work just as well.
7. Black leather ankle boots. My Stuart Weitzman pair is heading into winter #5, and I’ve added these Fluevogs as a more casual choice.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 United States License.