While we’re staying at home, let’s take a moment to indulge in a little pampering and some pretty things, shall we?
We’ve been doing our best to support local businesses during the shutdown, so I thought I’d give a shout-out to a couple of my favorite local businesses. Both offer quality products that are made in the USA.
Cruelty-free, paraben-free beauty products
My friend Brian is a professional hair and makeup artist, who has done lots of red carpet and commercial work. He teaches his makeup techniques via his Makeover Workshop parties and classes. He’s developed his own makeup and skincare line, Brian + MW. Here are some of my favorites from his cruelty-free, paraben-free skincare line:
- Super Radiance Exfoliating Freshener. This is a gentle but effective exfoliating toner that reduces dullness and improves radiance. Use after cleansing, before moisturizing.
- Illuminate & Contour Eye Treatment. This is one of my must-haves! It smoothes and plumps the skin around the eye. And I’ve found it’s especially effective for reducing that crepe-y texture.
- Firming Neck & Throat Creme. I started using this a couple of years ago, and saw a noticeable improvement in the firmness and texture of the skin on my neck.
- Re-Creation Lip Treatment. I’ll never stop singing the praises of this lip product! It moisturizes, smoothes, and plumps, and has eliminated the flakiness I used to constantly experience. Lipstick goes on and stays on SO much better!
- Re-Creation Skin Firming Serum. This is especially good when used in combination with the Exfoliating Freshener. You can feel it firming, but it’s not drying.
And if you’re looking for some moisturizing and natural-looking lipsticks, check out the Sheer Moisture Lipstick line.
Paris-inspired, LA-made jewelry
Regular readers may know that I’m a huge fan of French Kande jewelry. It’s an LA-based, family-run brand, and all of the pieces are designed and manufactured here. The line was born when Kande found some vintage medallions at a Paris flea market, and was inspired to add them to necklaces. I love the Paris-meets-LA vibe!
They just released a new collection earlier this week, and it’s one of my favorites yet! Here are a few of my picks from the Hotel de Ville II collection. Starting at top left:
- Gold link necklace with Fleur de Lis pendant.
- Gold X earrings with white fire agate dangle. (also available with a Silver Pearl dangle)
- FK Petite Swirl Ring. (also available in Silver)
- Silver Pearl & Swarovski necklace with Miel pendant.
- Sage Mix bracelet with silver Fleur de Lis.
- Silver Pearl double strand bracelet with Gustave medallion.
- Triple-strand Sage Mix necklace. That Sage Mix is a pretty, soft green that’s almost a neutral.
- Gold Versailles chain bracelet with silver pearl accents. (Can also be worn as a choker.)
I have those first three pieces on order. 😉 There’s lots more in this collection, so do go have a look!
We’ve been trying to support our local businesses in whatever ways we can. Here are a few ideas:
- Order takeout/delivery from your favorite local restaurant.
- A couple of our local restaurants are also offering fresh produce boxes for pickup or delivery. This not only supports the restaurant, but local produce suppliers.
- If you have a gardener, housekeeper, hair stylist, manicurist, etc. who is unable to work right now and you can afford to do so, please continue to pay them, or purchase gift certificates for future service.
- Donate to regional food banks or shelters
Please feel free to share any ideas or tips for supporting your local businesses.